Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Outdoor storage options

Greetings,

I own a Winnebago View 24M. It is currently being stored in a covered (w electric) area and to have this has been awesome. However, the cost is $230.00 a month and I am starting to feel the pinch of this cost.

I plan on moving and putting the RV out under a personal storage option in my backyard. I would like to know what options you all use to keep the sun/rain off the top, and whether you need to have an electrical hookup? I will be able to have start the RV once a week so I am thinking that would prevent battery drain.

I see options out there from pole barns, shelterlogic systems, covered garages, to cheaper tarp style covers. I would be doing this myself and would like to keep costs down.

Thanks
rwcourr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

FWIW you would be better off just running power out to it for a day once a week to keep the batteries up. Starting and running it for a few minutes does not do much for the electric parts or the engine and drive train. OTOH taking it for a drive does.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcourr1 View Post
Greetings,

I own a Winnebago View 24M. It is currently being stored in a covered (w electric) area and to have this has been awesome. However, the cost is $230.00 a month and I am starting to feel the pinch of this cost.

I plan on moving and putting the RV out under a personal storage option in my backyard. I would like to know what options you all use to keep the sun/rain off the top, and whether you need to have an electrical hookup? I will be able to have start the RV once a week so I am thinking that would prevent battery drain.

I see options out there from pole barns, shelterlogic systems, covered garages, to cheaper tarp style covers. I would be doing this myself and would like to keep costs down.
Thanks
rwcourr1
My coach is stored out side with no protection from sun rain or snow.... (but with 120V shore power, to keep the batteries up), whenever it's not being used.
(Has been for 20 years).

BTW IMO ....unless the coach is driven 20-30 miles to warm up and exercise every chassis component..... staring the engine once a week will do more harm than good.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Our coach is stored outside with no cover and no electrical. We keep the batteries from draining by turning them off while it's being stored. Learned this lesson the hard way after having to replace the batteries the first year. Haven't had a problem since.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

storage

you can get a storage tentfor far less than what a year of rent is if your property is large enough for it. and no restrictions. depedingon how close to an outlet you could run a outdoor lead cord to it for the house batteries and buy a small solar charger for the chassis batts. put inside front windshield keeps chassy batts charged. my 2cents
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your replies. OLDSMAN41, I have been looking for storage tents actually but have not had any luck in getting any responses? Can you reco a good company?

Also, do you mean a long electrical cord run out to the RV w/ a 110 adapter for the 30 Amp? Will that keep house batteries charged.

Lastly, I am interested in the solar chassis suggestion. IS that a simple set up? I assume Camping world would carry something like that?

Thanks everyone
rwcourr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I've been looking at this storage tent: 36ft.L x 14ft.W x 16ft.H

ShelterLogic Peak Style Garage/Storage Shelter
Old 08-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcourr1 View Post
do you mean a long electrical cord run out to the RV w/ a 110 adapter for the 30 Amp? Will that keep house batteries charged.
rwcourr1
It will... if your both your chassis and house batteries are charged by an on-board automatic battery charger.

My 50A coach has been stored outside with 20A shore power via a 50 foot 12/3 extension cord through 20 Wisconsin winters.

The original 6 batteries, (2 12V "chassis", 4 12V deep cycle marine "house"), lasted from 1996-2006... the 2nd set of 6 from 2005-2014.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

A metal carport / RVport can be out up relatively inexpensively. More long lasting than a fabric cover. Usually includes installation in the price.

As for the power question. Yes, a extension cord from a household outlet will provide for battery charging. No need to have a 30a RV connection unless wanting to run air conditioning.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
rwcourr1
My coach is stored out side with no protection from sun rain or snow.... (but with 120V shore power, to keep the batteries up), whenever it's not being used.
(Has been for 20 years).

BTW IMO ....unless the coach is driven 20-30 miles to warm up and exercise every chassis component..... staring the engine once a week will do more harm than good.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
I second this remark. Unless you can let run up to operating temperature, you would be asking for all sorts of issues. Mainly condensation everywhere in the exhaust, engine(think milk in oil) etc. I would run it periodically to keep the fuel system wet, just not weekly. Stabil in fuel is your friend.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
A metal carport / RVport can be out up relatively inexpensively. More long lasting than a fabric cover. Usually includes installation in the price.

As for the power question. Yes, a extension cord from a household outlet will provide for battery charging. No need to have a 30a RV connection unless wanting to run air conditioning.
I agree, I read a lot of the reviews of the shelter logic's and not all of them were great on the longevity side of things. But certainly a wood or metal car port / pole barn style would at least keep the sun off.

If you have a breaker box nearby with an empty slot, installing electric is always a great idea.

Currently, my RV is parked in my yard, with no cover at all, and I have a 30amp RV plug installed on my secondary garage, which has it's own breaker box and meter. I used to keep it running 24/7 until the summer electric bills hit

However, I've been considering adding a lean-to style secondary pitch to my small detached garage that would cover the trailer perfectly... and turning the grass patch into a gravel parking pad... just haven't gotten around to it yet.

If all else fails, even an extension cord from an outlet in your home will keep the batteries topped off.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

Yes,, metal has worked out great for us. Even having it installed by someone else wasn't that expensive. Ours has been up since 2002 and has weathered several storms and a hurricane.

I had run 30 amp service to it at one time but since we built towards the front of our land, i haven't bothered to run power back out. That hasn't been a problem as i just disconnect the batteries. I go out and run everything (engine, genset, ac, frig), drive it down the road too, at least once a month.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

you can buy the solar battery charger off ebay or amazon they cost about 20 bucks plugs in to your 12v outlet that is hot when coach is not running. there is quite a few portable garage makers and google search will come up with them. i like the rv carport that are steel and they arent real expensive if all you get is the top covered. if you start adding the sides and back they get up in price pretty easy.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, storage