Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I considering Sat antenna upgrade to a automatic-stationary dome. I'm considering King Dome Model DVP Auto 9704LP and the Winegard RT 1200S. Any user-owner comments or opinions?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I considering Sat antenna upgrade to a automatic-stationary dome. I'm considering King Dome Model DVP Auto 9704LP and the Winegard RT 1200S. Any user-owner comments or opinions?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have the Winegard Movin View MV3500A auto system (but not while driving). Works ok, but recently had to replace the LNB. The symptom was intermittent, to no, SAT lock-on (no steady tone; no signal strength; continuous search). I was (just) within the 2 yr parts warranty, so it did not cost me. Installed it myself. Having said that, they sent me an LNB with a large diameter arm, which did not fit the clamp. So I used the one that goes with my spare tripod dish.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Is your reason for getting a dome so you/someone can watch while driving? From what I have seen, that would be the only reason to get a dome. If that is not your reason for a dome, I would encourage you to look at MotoSat automatic dishes. No problem with interference from water/etc on the dome with them.

If you truly need a dome, I would talk to service providers to see what they say is most reliable. Other dome shoppers who have done that have told me they dropped Winegard from their shopping list.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have had a King Dome on my last two RV's and have had no problems. My current one is in motion and it works great while driving down the road as well, just as advertised. I have not had any rain fade except once in a fairly severe thunderstorm. The one thing to be careful of the non domes, make sure it is a solid mount when the antenna is up. I don't know about the MotoSat, but I had a Winegard crank up on my first RV and it was kind of spring loaded. Trouble was, if the wind picked up at all, your satellite was out. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Like Paul, I encourage you to look at MotoSat if you aren't in want of an in-motion system. The MotoSat is rated at over 140mph (beyond the limits of me and my coach!) and in the worst weather, doesn't lose signal unless there is something in the way....like a thunderhead.

It has always found a signal when the sky is clear and it does not suffer from signal fade due to moisture. Even in light rain or fog.

Totally automatic and totally reliable for over 2.5 years. (hopefully, I didn't just curse myself)

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have had the Winegard (12") MovinView for about one month. Except for an annoying sound while the sat is searching, we have no complaints. Our old automatic dish worked well,however it wobbled a lot in the wind, AND i HAD TO REPLACE IT ONCE AFTER FORGETTING TO take it down when leaving a campsite.

Our motivation for getting a replacement dish was the fact that our new one can automatically switch between satellites as needed, our old one could only see DISH 119.

It appears that most systems work well, so I would buy based on price and features.

Arne

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have a Winegard auto sat stationary without dome now. I have had some warranty repairs done and it seems to be very tempermental (pun) when it is very hot like temps in South East this past week. Tech specs say it'll work right up to 130F....dunno. I think it quits electron logic around there. After reading King Dome and Winegard dome unit problems...I think I'll hold off for a while...and I think I can better insulate sat topside electrical box from some heat extremes.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
jor
Winnebago Camper

We have a King Dome, dual LMB, In Motion dish and love it. Any problems King Dome have been right there quickly......jor
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We've had one KVH, and two Kingdomes on our 3 RVs so far. Never had a Winegard so can't comment on them. Our latest is a Kingdome 9762LP in-motion dome and it works great.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I also agree with Paul. It's ALL about gain, and being a ham primarily on UHF, and dealing with microwave for my day job I'm somewhat anal about my antennas. Domes are useful if you want to track the bird for satellite radio (vis DSS), or watching while in motion. But personally I want the full size adult reflector without the .5-1db (guess) dome in the way. Plus the heat issues mentioned above. There's a reason that Johnstone submerges their LNA's in Nitrogen.
Having said that, the best reason I've heard to have a servo'ed dome is that you can often pick your spot under the trees and find a hole to use before ever setting up. Something a non-servo'ed unit just can't do.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote