Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Open neutral when elec w/h on

Hoping for some help/insight. We have a receptacle tester always plugged into an outlet as well as a volt meter. During a camping trip this past week, the receptacle tester was showing an open neutral when the electrical water heater was turned on. I did some tests today and the same thing happens when the microwave is on and the air conditioner. It also occurs when the hair dryer is used on the 'high' setting. The tests of these appliances were done individually. The light on the tester flickers in the open neutral. Once the appliances are turned off, the tester reverts back to a 'correct' reading. Also, the volt meter drops to about 110-112v. Is this normal? If not, what would cause this to occur? thanks in advance.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Check for a loose wire on the plug or were any connection. If it is loose the wire should get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

neutral issues

No offence intended but i think you have a screw or two loose really check the screws in the panel or circuit box if they are all snug move to the connections at the cord to hard wire box, transfer-switch. good luck if you dont find anything post back we will try again Mike
Old 08-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I often say many RVers have a few screws loose.. in this case I would start by checking the screws on the WHITE bus in the power distribution panel (NOTE: UNPLUG FIRST) also inspect your plug (And socket) to insure pins (If this is a 50 amp rig it is the flat blade in the middle/top) are clean and not all blackened.. Dirty Neutral is a very common condition.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Screws should be checked (with all power removed) for tightness by loosening the screw 1/4 turn and then fully re-tightening. If the screw won't loosen, it is seized from excessive heat. Merely trying to tighten, without first loosening slightly, may give a false indication of tightness if the screw is seized.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks all....after this past trip, I do think I have a few loose screws. :roll eyes: My rig is a Winnebago Aspect...30 amp....I'll check the circuits and the panel (after unplugging!). With luck, this may fix it!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Or...when the appliances that use both legs come on they are balanced, then there may be nothing on the neutral, giving you a false reading...

Just a thought...

Let us know.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

From time to time my power protection device also shows open neutral. In my case cleaning the power cable that plugs into the park outlet with steel wool has always solved the problem.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote