Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

While exercizing my gen (HGJAB Marq Gold 5500), noticed OnePlace amps fluctuating (44 down to 33); also Splendide W/D 2000S in Dryer mode was cycling On & Off.

Got my Good Governor meter & it showed only 113/114V, 57-59Hz; fluctuating. Air Cond seemed to work OK. Also TV/SAT rcvr were OK, although I had the Inverter On, to cushion any auto transfer transients when the gen came online.

Shut consumers down, then shut gen down & allowed auto xfer to shore pwr. Everything OK on shore power. Stable 119V; 60Hz. All consumers work OK.

Diagnosis please. Thx muchly.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

While exercizing my gen (HGJAB Marq Gold 5500), noticed OnePlace amps fluctuating (44 down to 33); also Splendide W/D 2000S in Dryer mode was cycling On & Off.

Got my Good Governor meter & it showed only 113/114V, 57-59Hz; fluctuating. Air Cond seemed to work OK. Also TV/SAT rcvr were OK, although I had the Inverter On, to cushion any auto transfer transients when the gen came online.

Shut consumers down, then shut gen down & allowed auto xfer to shore pwr. Everything OK on shore power. Stable 119V; 60Hz. All consumers work OK.

Diagnosis please. Thx muchly.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 07-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Guys, I ran the gen again, trying to duplicate same problem. All is stable, but when amps are increased w/load, the Hz & volts drop. Maybe normal??

At 45Amp load, Hz is 56/57; Volts 112/113.
At 25Amp load, Hz is 60; Volts 114
At 5Amp load, Hz is 62; Volts 115

Splendide Dryer seems to now operate ok w/no fluctuations.

Maybe the generator was having a hissy on the first run?

Thudman

Old 07-23-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It is not maintaining the RPM it needs to produce 60 Hz while fully loaded. Unless yours is a new-style electronic inverter gen set (like my 7.5 Quiet Diesel) the frequency is determined by the RPM of the generator. My old gen set on the boat only needed to turn 1800 RPM for 60 Hz; most gen manufacturers like to spin the engine at 3600 RPM so they can get more HP out it.

You might want to look at the gen specs to see what is out of range.

We had a unique experience recently at the Denali Riverside campground - the park's power was provided by a generator. Early in the morning when demand was at a peak I watched the line frequency drop to 57 Hz - my UPS on the tower PC didn't like that one bit and started beeping at me.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Prior to running the gen again today, I set the altitude knob to 3000 ft (RV Park elevation). No help. Called Onan tech & he said the problem does not sound electrical & to change my spark plugs.

John, max amp load on this gen is 45. Still have flux at mid-range loads (25-35 Amps) so something's not right. I do not have the new-style electronic inverter gen set.

I have 107 hrs & have never changed the plugs (3 1/2 years), so I agree that may help. Recently changed air fltr & oil/fltr. No fuel fltr yet. Am careful to exercise monthly (+).

No fault code, since the gen starts ok. With gen not running & when pressing Stop 3 times, fault code 33 comes up, but manual says codes 33 & 44 are not assigned as fault codes. Apparently there's no way to manually ask the system for fault codes (forgot to ask the Tech).

My spare plugs are at home (duh!!) so guess I'll wait til Sep to change 'em. I'll go easy on gen use til then.

Thudman

Old 07-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
--snip-- Still have flux at mid-range loads (25-35 Amps) so something's not right. --snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have a high-end 3500 watt Honda generator (now in storage) that was extremely sensitive to varnish/gum in the carb caused by a dummy (me) not running the fuel out of it between uses. I got to be real good at taking the carb apart and blowing air through the jets and cleaning it (sort of.)

Even with that, it never did run exactly correctly at a good load until I took the carb apart yet again some time later and soaked it in carb cleaner for several hours, and blew it out with compressed air. I was also not aware of the high-speed jet and neglected to take it out for cleaning until late in my Honda carb OJT process.

It ran perfectly after a proper carb cleaning. I'll bet your gen set will run perfectly with a good tune-up.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'll bet your gen set will run perfectly with a good tune-up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx John. I'll work on that. Soon.

Thudman

Old 08-09-2006, 06:44 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Spoke w/Tech's from Onan & Splendide. Onan guy said change gen spark plugs. Did that & gen ran a little better (replacement due anyway), but still had flux w/Splendide in Dryer mode. Dryer again ran jes fine on shore pwr.

Splendide Tech said the battery charger may be causing instability in Herz, causing the dryer to not like that situation. Possible solution is to move the dryer to the other leg of elec system. Since my electrical prowess amounts to On & Off, I'm not about to try that. He also said I could take the charger out of the system & see if that solves anything.

At this point I see no pressing reason for me to do wash when the generator is running.

Issue deferred.

Thudman

Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

If the gen set is changing speeds, then the line frequency will change and probably the line voltage also. Your dryer would reflect that and you would maybe hear the drum rotation speed change for example.

Not sure what the Splendide tech meant about the battery charger. Even the rippled output from very cheap battery chargers will be filtered by the battery bank under charge.

Glad you got the genny running a little better.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I believe that I have the same genset in my 2001 and it does not have a 45 amp tap but wrather a 30 amp breaker for the house circuits and a 20 amp for the primary ac compressor. It is my understanding that if you are drawing over 30 amps on the OnePlus power console then you are overdrawing on the house side of the generator. I'd check the manual but the coach with manuals inside is still being serviced.

Isn't a 6.5 Kw or 7 Kw required for over 30 amps?

Regards,
Old 08-09-2006, 09:15 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

My Gold Marquis 5500 gen has two circuit breakers on it; both are labeled 30 Amp. My Owners Manual spec says this gen is rated at 45.8 Amps.

But no big deal; I'm just no longer qualified in generator washer/dryer ops. My W/D Operators Card now says "restricted to shore power operations".

Thudman

Old 08-09-2006, 12:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
My Gold Marquis 5500 gen has two circuit breakers on it; both are labeled 30 Amp. My Owners Manual spec says this gen is rated at 45.8 Amps.

But no big deal; I'm just no longer qualified in generator washer/dryer ops. My W/D Operators Card now says "restricted to shore power operations".

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something not quite right there. I just checked Onans site and that generator while it is rated 45.8 amps it is only supposed to have one 30 and one 20 amp breaker. It is only a 120 volt generator and is not capable of providing more than 30 amps on the larger of the two circuits.

Regards,
Old 08-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Neil:
Thx for the heads up. I'll call Onan tomorrow.

Thudman

Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Turn the braker off that includes the on board battery charger and the generator will run the splendide just fine. You may have to run your fridge on propane while the braker is off. My braker was labeled Refridg/Converter.

Seems that the Converter / Battery charger feeds back an uneven power signal that the Splendide does not like.

10 Hours of resurch and $1300.00 plus got me this understanding.

Oh well, Wife likes the washer and if she's happy so am I.

Enjoy!

Jesse & Cathie
2006 Itasca Suncriuser 35A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post

Thudman
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

[QUOTE=Thudman;247717]
No fault code, since the gen starts ok. With gen not running & when pressing Stop 3 times, fault code 33 comes up, but manual says codes 33 & 44 are not assigned as fault codes.

Are you sure you're entering the diagnostic mode correctly? According to our manual you push the stop switch 3 times to get to the first level diagnostic mode (code 33), then a one more time to get the second level codes. If there are no second level codes the light will not pulse. To clear the second level codes you push the stop switch a one more time.

If the generator was not running and had been shut down with the switch prior to entering the diagnostic mode you should get at least the second level code 36. That means the generator is off but not by command of the controller.