Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Onan Generator?

The engine seems to run ok but sometimes when the heat pump cuts off the generator starts pulsating, volt meter rocks back and forth form no watts to in the red and engine pulsates. Is this something I can cure on my own?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Is this a gas, diesel or LP genny? Make and model??? Hours on the genny? It will help responders if you put the year, make and model of your RV in your signature block. (See your control panel ((User CP))

What altitude are you? You say it runs wonky when the heat pump cuts off??????? Odd.

Usually.... it runs wonky when they cut on.

Generator is being "overloaded" if it runs OK otherwise. Could be the genny has near zero hours and it needs a bit of TLC to get it running under load. It could also be that the genny is not fully warmed up. Let it run several minutes before kicking the HP/AC on. If you have other things on that use 110V AC (like a microwave, cube heater, etc.), there's too much of a power draw and the genny will bog down and maybe stop.

Those are the most likely issues.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ok to follow up on my issue. I took the unit to Cummings and was told that the carburetor was running lean. They don't clean or rebuild carburetor's so they installed a new one. $706.00 later, this seems to have been my problem.

Safe Travels
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
Itasca Owners

Carburetors can often be cleaned successfully with a Seafoam Treatment. This link to the video will show you how.

I did it to my generator last year after we bought the RV. It had been sitting unused for quite a while and was running very rough. Now that we have it running well, I make sure to run it under load for at least two hours each month.

After cleaning, you should probably adjust the mixture.The mixture adjustment is the "altitude" screw on the side of the carburetor. With the engine running under load, turn the screw counter clockwise about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. The engine should start to run a bit rougher. Hold a white rag or paper towel about 2" away from the exhaust pipe. It should have some black soot showing. Turn the screw clockwise 1/8 turn. It should sound a little smoother. Hold the towel to the exhaust again and see if there is still soot coming from the exhaust. Keep adjusting 1/8 turn at a time until you no longer see soot on the towel and stop. You can try a slight counter clockwise adjustment and see if the soot reappears. The best adjustment is just at the point where the soot stops. Any further is too lean.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
1999 chieftain 33

running rough

Change air filter and plugs. Drain carb (if gas) new fuel filter then Spray the governor linkage with wd40 or white lithium preferred. Also when was Genny last load tested. Is Genny putting out proper voltage and hertz under load. Remember....low rpm (hertz) (voltage)means much higher than normal amps draw. You are working with a finite available amount of power. Keep it serviced for dependable service.
carlwatson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan