Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Onan 5500 not running 2 a/c in TH

Hi, I installed a second a/c in the factory prepped hole of my TH and the dometic brisk pulls less than 16 amps. The plate on ceiling said do not exceed 16 that was there installed by Winnebago . I can run one a/c but when I try to turn on the second one ,the gen shuts down and turns off the first one and never starts the second one and you hear some clicking from under the cabinets while this is going on. If you walk over and turn the second one to off and go back to first a/c and turn on,the first one starts again. People always said that the onan 5500 hijab-6755k would run two a/c and a little more. That's not the case so far with me. I was just wanting to know if there was something I could look at before it goes to shop. The second a/c runs ike a champ when running by itself. The trailer is 2 months old along with the onan.. 2016 Winnebago spyder 28 sc toy hauler with a onan 5500. Everything runs fine but can't turn the second a/c on . I'm glad it's not summer here in Texas. Any thoughts?
Rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the forum.

There should be 2 ea. circuits provided by the generator. The A/C's will each need to be on one of the separate circuits (A & B). Now, how this generator / transfer switch (if installed) is all tied into your main breaker panel was up to the installer.
Does the trailer have 30 or 50 amp service?
That branch circuit for the bedroom A/C B as it comes back to the main breaker box needs to be on the opposite bus lugs than the primary A/C circuit A (assuming 50A panel). If there is only a 30A. single bus panel you may require an additional add on disconnect etc. for that circuit.

Be well.
J & J & Kickr's the Vonderhund
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi, it's a 50 amp service trailer. I would assume what you said would already of been done by the factory since it was prepped for a a/c in the rear bunk area. Ill have to check it out. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

i think the onan 5500 is 30 amps only if it was ordered new with 2 a/c units
it would come with a bigger onan like the 7500 at 30 amps you cant run two a/c
Old 10-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have the Onan 5500 and it runs both AC's at the same time. It definitely puts out more than 30 amps.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a 5500 in mine and I run 2 15k AC with extra left over. I did have to move the 2nd AC to a different leg as the factory wired both AC units to the same side in the breaker box. You need to check to make sure that the second unit is on a different pole than the first one. If it isn't you'll have trouble running both at the same time.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I have the Onan 5500 and it runs both AC's at the same time. It definitely puts out more than 30 amps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmore View Post
I have a 5500 in mine and I run 2 15k AC with extra left over. I did have to move the 2nd AC to a different leg as the factory wired both AC units to the same side in the breaker box. You need to check to make sure that the second unit is on a different pole than the first one. If it isn't you'll have trouble running both at the same time.
Thanks , Ill take a look at that info on the breakers. I did call winniebago towables customer service but went to voicemail. thanks
Old 10-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Good luck with it! Please let us know how it works out
Old 10-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I would think a generator rated at 5500 watts is going to put out around 50 amps. Split that on two legs and that is 25 amps per leg. Unless I am missing something more than likely both a/c are on the same leg. Easy to check.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

This is how I updated mine.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3162864
The 20 amp leg from the gen powers only the rear ac on mine. So now I can hook up to 50 amp on shore power now or just plug the aft ac into 110 outlet.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The 5500 Onan will run two ACs. They must be wired on separate lines from the generator. The generator puts out 45.8 Amps (5500 watts / 120 volts). If you verify they are on separate lines and you are still having an issue, shut off everything else including the converter to see if the issue goes away. There might be some other load on the one line causing the overload.
lotsoftoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
i think the onan 5500 is 30 amps only if it was ordered new with 2 a/c units
it would come with a bigger onan like the 7500 at 30 amps you cant run two a/c
The Onan 5500 has two outputs - a 30 amp and a 20 amp, and two breakers one for each output.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

An update

Tonight I had time to connect it to shore power that an electrician hooked up for me at my work warehouses some time ago from a previous Jayco TH trailer.Yes its been converted for 50 amp for this trailer. The trailer ran both a/c and couple other things with no problems for at least 4 hours I was in the trailer or around it getting ready to leave in the morning. I did call Winnebago towables and must say if you get thru on the telephone line and a guy named Jake if I remember correctly. he is very helpful and does his best to help you out. basically what I gathered from him is the trailer is already wired for a second a/c to be put in if it has been prepped by the factory all the way to fuse box. We went thru a checklist sorta cause when I talked to Jake I was out of the office and not near my trailer. he asked if my problem happens when hooked to shore power and I informed him I have not tried it that way. he than said if its generator only than it might be I think he said the inverter or the automatic transfer something box thats under my bed that is wired to the generator that's clicking about 4 times while the generator is trying to kick up when turning on the a/c, because I informed him that when all this is happening the generator stays running and anything on in the trailer at the time stays on, its just turning on the 2nd a/c that it kicks both a/c off and not starting the 2nd one. So after finding out that everything is good on shore power, we got it down to just those two boxes that is probably the problem. I feel that's its one of the boxes that is bad so I see light at the end of the tunnel and thank full that its not something like a short or something that would make me pull my hair out. Ill give an update next week, but thanks for all the help everyone. It gives a person a little bit more knowledge about how things work so that we have an idea of whats making our Rvs operate.... thx

Tags
onan