Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

On shore power but all batteries dead

I have a 1999 Winnebago Brave that has been on shore power, but since last time I tried cranking the engine 3 months ago the starting battery is dead and the house batteries both have 6.4V. Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I guess you're running 12V house batteries and have checked for corrosion on the terminals. Also confirm that the batteries will hold a charge. If so, your 12V converter from shore power is not working. First check your 110VAC breakers to the converter. On the 12V side, check that the battery disconnect switch didn't get bumped. If those are good, check the voltage at the converter 12V output with shore power on and it should measure over 13V. If you have the correct voltage at the converter but not at the battery, the disconnect relay is either bad or the wiring is bad. If the converter output measures the same low reading as the battery, check that there is really 110VAC at the converter and check that the heavy output fuses on the converter are not blown. If these both check ok, the converter is most likely bad or gone into overload shutdown. I had mine quit last summer because the cooling fan in the converter failed and the converter shut down. If you get into replacing the converter, be sure to disconnect the power cables at the batteries first, an accidental short could start a fire.

On my 02 Itasca, the engine battery is not charged by shore power to the converter. When sitting on shore power, I clip a 10 Ohm, 20 watt resister between the positive terminals of the house and engine batteries, which trickle charges the engine battery from the house batteries that are kept charged with the converter on shore power. I disconnect the jumper if sitting without shore power for several days, which I rarely have to do.

Hope this helps to get you started and be safe.
leedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The main breaker between the converter and the house battery may have popped or the breaker to that powers the converter may be tripped. The disconnect may have been nudged by someone walking into up the steps too as even on my old coach that was on the left side of the step well and easy to bump into.

The converter only charges the house batteries not the engine.

Is the 6.4 volts reading on the house batteries when the coach is plugged in?
Old 06-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackInTX View Post
I have a 1999 Winnebago Brave that has been on shore power, but since last time I tried cranking the engine 3 months ago the starting battery is dead and the house batteries both have 6.4V. Any ideas?
You don't mention whether the coach batteries are 6 or 12 volt.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
You don't mention whether the coach batteries are 6 or 12 volt.
Or if the coach is plugged into shore power or if you measured the batteries disconnected from the coach or if disconnected from each other or if the batteries are full of water, or if the connections are clean, or if you have a 3-stage battery charger on your converter....

need much more info

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Put a charger on the start batteries. If they have been dead for 3 months then they probably need replaced.

Put a trickle charger on the new start battery.
If you are testing 2 6V house batteries separate and getting 6.4V each then they are fully charged.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Here is the 2006-4 tech reference covering the no charge of the chassis batteries.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...ik-L-Start.pdf
Old 06-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It is normal for the engine battery to discharge from parasitic keep alive currents. Mine will discharge in about two weeks or so. The engine battery is not charged when on shore power. That is why Winnebago started adding the TrickleStart to diesel pushers and I have been told to some gassers in later years.
I have used a BatteryMinder Plus for 12 years to keep my engine battery charged when we are stopped for a while.
Are your house batteries being charged by the converter? Maybe the battery disconnect switch is in the disconnect position.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You did not mention how old the batteries are.

Tags
batteries, power