Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No power from generator

Tuned up generator the other day. While doing that I accidently crossed cable coming in from battery (I believe), and it sparked. Now generator runs great, but I have no power in RV. It is a 99 Adventurer 34V (DP). I cannot find any circuit breakers tripped. Any suggestions before I call a mechanic?

Rich
rkainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Have you checked the breakers that are on the generator itself ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Make/model of generator would help.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes checked generator breakers. It is an Onan 6.5 that runs on propane.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Is this a new rv or have you had for a while? Some rv's need the shore cord plugged into the generator to have power. That is without the transfer switch.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

1999 haven't connected shore power to see what happens. Good idea will check that next
Old 01-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

In our first RV, I had to plug the shore power cord into an outlet connected to the generator in order for the generator to supply power... thus the power came into the RV via that shore cable, no matter whether the gennie or the shore pole was delivering the elec. Once I thought I had a problem when I fired up the Onan and didn't see power in the RV... I forgot to plug in the shore cord. I felt kinda silly after that one... but I share it just in case you are in the same situation!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

with shore power everything powers up. tried generator after unplugged shore power and no power.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkainsworth View Post
1999 haven't connected shore power to see what happens. Good idea will check that next
rkainsworth
I don't think GregOk80 was suggesting that you "connect to shore power", (which will accomplish nothing)!
What he said was, "Some rv's need the shore cord plugged into the generator to have power".

Since you crossed a cable and it sparked, I suggest you call the tech dept at Flight Systems, (717-590-7330), or download their Troubleshooting Guides: Generator & RV Controls | Engine Monitors | Idle Limiter | Repair & Rebuilding Services
...... or call a mechanic.

Mel
'96 Safari, 6.3kw Onan LP generator
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

When you checked the breakers on the generator did you actually cycle them off and back on? That is how they are reset.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Okay now I feel dumb!! I had left the generator circuit breakers in off position thinking it was the on position. So everything is good. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Rich
Old 01-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

You're welcome. Glad we could help.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Tuned up generator the other day. While doing that I accidently crossed cable coming in from battery (I believe), and it sparked. Now generator runs great, but I have no power in RV. It is a 99 Adventurer 34V (DP). I cannot find any circuit breakers tripped. Any suggestions before I call a mechanic?

Rich
I looked up your operator's ,manual and in sec 6 page 5 it indicates that you have a automatic transfer switch. These are known to fail from time to time.

Locate the xfer sw and remove the cover. Start the genset and test for voltage with a AC meter. You should see 110+ VAC on the cord terminals from the generator.

One cord is for your shore power, one for the genset and the other is the power feed to your service panel. Replacing the xfer sw is usually not a big problem. Access is the only drawback in some cases. I think you are 30A service. Here is an example of a replacement for short money: Amazon.com: Go Power! TS-30 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch: Automotive.

Hope this helps. Happy trails.
Rick

PS: A 50A xfer sw will work also. It is just bigger and more money. Better contacts is the advantage.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Okay now I feel dumb!! I had left the generator circuit breakers in off position thinking it was the on position. So everything is good. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Rich
Don't feel dumb at all. There isn't anyone here that hasn't done something similar. I find that I tend to "overthink" things when it is a simple problem and once you get frustrated then it only gets worse.

The best part is it was an easy and free fix!
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

You are not the first nor will you be the last to run off the track a little.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Yup. Had those moments too. How about, ready to leave. All packed and closed up. Oops! Jacks still down and awnings are out!! Hey. Whata that noise?

DW = .
Old 01-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Rich
The problem with ONAN generators is that on many models the breakers are 2 position,, on and (Off/Tripped) the if the markings are not easily seen, it is easy to not be sure and think they are ON when they are in fact (off/Tripped).

I had that problem several times.. Finally fixed it with the aid of my Brother (P-Touch label maker) I made a label that has the letters O F F running vertically and stuck it on the side the levers point to when they are OFF.

NOTE if the levers go up and down, then it's easier, USUALLY up is on).

Tags
generator, power