Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I unhooked from the shore power at a local campground,& drove home. Everything worked for the required drive; headlights, radio, ...everything. When I returned home ....no 12 volts anywhere in the living part of the coach. No inverter, lights, control center, waterpump & generator starter. I checked all the circuit breakers and all are OK. Is there a main fuse for the whole coach (not counting the driving section). It's as if the house batterys were gone.
KarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I unhooked from the shore power at a local campground,& drove home. Everything worked for the required drive; headlights, radio, ...everything. When I returned home ....no 12 volts anywhere in the living part of the coach. No inverter, lights, control center, waterpump & generator starter. I checked all the circuit breakers and all are OK. Is there a main fuse for the whole coach (not counting the driving section). It's as if the house batterys were gone.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Headlights, radio, etc work off the engine batteries. All 12v items in the living part (lights, etc and inverter) would be off the house batteries. I presume the 12v items worked in the campground when on shore power?

Did the master battery disconnect switch (normally by the entry door?) somehow get tripped? That would do what you describe. I don't know of anything else that would instantly kill those items except totally disconnecting the house batteries!

...unless the house batteries are dead/bad. You should be able to start the generator by holding down the "battery boost" switch. Mine is on the dash. You might have to continue holding it down for a minute or two after the generator starts to keep it running. If you can keep it running, see if you have any 12v lights inside while it is running. If so, it might be that your house batteries are bad and are not holding a charge.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi Karl,
Sounds like the Aux. Battery Disconnect switch may have been accidentally hit. Some coaches have the switch on the dash somewhere and others have it located by the entry steps. Ours is by the steps and gets pressed now and then.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the help. I found an alternate power switch in the storage cabinet just to the rear of the door. It's a little high and not very visible. I must have hit it with a lawn chair I keep in there. Everything is fine. A handy switch though. Ever wonder if you may have left on a bathroom light, etc. No prob. Just flip that switch off and no worry. All is dead.Thanks again
Old 02-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

That "disconnect switch" is a designed in feature which should be used when you store the MH for any length of time. Battery charging from shore power and/or solar will still work, so use it often and it will save your batteries.
Frank O.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
I just picked my RV up from the shop last week and everything inside was dead. Seems the tech left the Aux on/off switch ON when they were done working. Was a scary thing at first. Luckily the batteries charged right up overnight when I got home.