Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry No Headlights or Turnsignals

Drove the coach from storage to home to prepare for a trip to FL on Monday to celebrate my retirement. It's an '05 Horizon. Turned on the headlights and nothing - no dash lights, no fog lights, no turn signals no bright/dim. Everything else on the dash works fine - everything. I haven't checked fuses because of the number of similar failures. Is there any one thing that can affect the lights and cause all these not to work (parking, headlamp, turn signals and dash backlighting)? By the way, none of the above lights work regardless of power source.

Thanks!

Mike
mjurgen889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Update - checked the fuses - none burned through. So, back to square one. Two auto parts stores suggested the headlight switch might be the problem. Anyone ever seen this?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
RKL
Winnebago Owner

no headlights or turnsignals

Mike...I had seen this problem while I had my toad plug in to the motorhome...It was a short in the wiring harness plug for the toad....good luck...don't know if you where towing at the time..... RKL
Old 12-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes I have. If the part store is wrong just return it
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the suggestion. We haven't towed anything since we purchased it 4 mod ago. Other ideas? While things do "just happen", this one doesn't make much sense since we haven't used it (other than to fill it up and drive it home from the dealer) since we purchased it.

MJ
Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Did they work when you picked up the coach from the dealer? I didn't see that mentioned in your post.

Could also be a bad ground. Perhaps Winnebago Customer Service or Freightliner can help you check them out.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 12-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

This sounds like a problem I had.

Under the dash there is a lamp control module attached to the firewall near the steering column. It is about 3"x5", has two large connectors, and has InPower written on it. Check for security of these connectors, but you should call Freightliner help and describe the symptoms. If this module is the issue it is a simple DIY, but about $300.

Let us know what the final outcome is.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Returned the coach to the dealer yesterday afternoon. They are a Tiffin (and others) dealer so they may or may not be familiar with this component. They do sell other Freight-liner based coaches however. I will call them first thing and tell them. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mjurgen,
How did things turn out?

If you are taking the coach to the dealer I still suggest calling Freightliner first ((800) 385-4357). It is always a good idea to have as much information as possible when dealing with these guys.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem
Mjurgen,
How did things turn out?

If you are taking the coach to the dealer I still suggest calling Freightliner first ((800) 385-4357). It is always a good idea to have as much information as possible when dealing with these guys.
Thanks - more good advice for a new owner! The problem was solved
yesterday and turned out to be Low chassis battery voltage. Apparently the Inpower light module will open when the chassis battery voltage drops below a threshold. Once the batteries were replaced (I knew one was bad and was having it replaced - we replaced both though) , we pulled the light harness connector and the relay reset. Plugged it back in, lights powered up and drove 500 mi yesterday without a problem!

Thanks to all who responded - this is a great resource !
Old 12-07-2011, 06:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Glad you got it sorted out without replacing the module. Mine was expensive.