Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyl View Post
If I turn off the house battery switch I have nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
OK so your converter is not running....so find that ckt breaker!! Look by the steps as mentioned previously....I am betting the ckt breaker needs to be reset.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

OK - so you have a converter. That simplifies it a bit - you've just got to find it and any associated fuses/breakers. Very possible that during the battery replacement something tripped...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I know where the breakers are. There are 12v fuses in one panel and circuit breakers below. Nothing show tripped.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I know where the breakers are. There are 12v fuses in one panel and circuit breakers below. Nothing show tripped.

OK good....do you see the 120v breaker that is labeled "Converter"...even though it is not "tripped" I would reset it anyway...next if that does not work you need to find the actual converter and check for voltages there...you just might have a bad converter...it does happen :(

Jim
Old 10-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

As soon as I get back to the coach I'll check again. Monday when this issue started I got back to the coach and all I had was a couple of 110 circuits working. Found the a/C breaker and the one next to it tripped. Reset...still no 12v. Started engine and pushed aux battery switch and power to 12 v returned. But batteries are not being charged. If I turn off the battery disconnect. Everything shuts down including A/C. Which requires 12v to run. I may have to call Winnie tomorrow. CW tech assured me it was batteries.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
CW tech assured me it was batteries.

UGH...guess they were wrong!
Let us know how things go...
Good Luck!

JIm
Old 10-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I'll keep looking. Thanks guys for all your help. The DW is about to kill me. I told her look on the bright side. We're in Ft Wilderness having a magical day. Anyone remember the trip to Wally World? I've run out of happy hats.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Maybe rather than using valuable time at FW, you should head off-base to the nearest big box store and pick up an inexpensive battery charger. Just leave it hooked up while you're there and find the problem later...
Old 10-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

At walmart right now doing exactly that.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Have another magical day tomorrow. Say "Hi!" to Mickey for us...
Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Darn, just left the Fort Saturday. I'd have taken a crack at it...

Is the fridge getting 110 Volts? I think the fridge and converter are on the same circuit... I'll check the wiring diagrams.

Checking diagrams, yes fridge and converter are on the same circuit. But it passes through the EMS. The fridge can be shut down by the EMS.

The converter receptacle is under the side of the stove near sink. Converter has to be right there. You could plug something else into that outlet to test that. And check the fuses on the converter while you're under there.

Converter looks like this:

(You can see the green fuses.)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Found this:

Guys, really, thanks. You have been so helpful and kind. I truly appreciate the help. The blown fuses (2 - 30a) were on the converter. Replaced them (again) and changed the end of the extension cord (seemed like it was fussy when I plugged it in last night) and bought a receptical tester (to make sure the polarity was correct in my niece's house) and viola! I have a working converter, charged batteries, and a very, very happy wife - to whom I replied, "could not have done it without the irv2 forum~!

Thanks again for the help and quick replies! Oh, and i'm getting a surge protector. WHich one do you recommend?

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

You said you have a Parallax converter,,, What model?

In days of old the worst converter was a Magnetek 6300 you do not have a 6300 but Parallex bought them out. The new low end is the Parallex 7300, it is a single stage converter, It will take a long time to fully charge the batteries if it ever gets there. Now do not get me wrong the 7300 is not a bad converter... But there are many that are better,

On the other end of the line is the Progressive Dynamics Wizard controlled models (Several) ... Better than these I have yet to find, Found several I'd rate as good for most RVers but better has proven impossible to find save in some very special cases. (They are designed for Flooded Wet Cells so if you have some other kind of battery,,, Programmable models are better,, Some day I expect PDI will adapt to that, but not yet)
Old 10-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Ok guys. After talking to WB service tech. He told me where the converter was located. After getting there found both 30 amp fuses blown. Going to get some now. Any ideas as to what could have caused this. Should I call the campground and have them check the pedestal voltage? I have no way of knowing other than the end shows 50 amp service.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Ok. Here's hopefully the end of this story. Replaced the 2 fuses on the converter. Powered up on gen and 12.9v on house batteries with every light in the coach on. Ran 15 min all was well. Connected back to 50 amp service and in 10 min. House batteries at 13.1v. Why the fuses blew I don't know.

The help you guys provided last night was amazing. Thanks so very much. I may also say WB tech support was a great help. I would never have found the converter without them. Just for the record it's under the bottom drawer of the stove in the compartment for the outside entertainment center.

Once again many thanks to all that helped. Now we can have a "Magical Day" and spend more Mickey bucks.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Ok. Here's hopefully the end of this story. Replaced the 2 fuses on the converter. Powered up on gen and 12.9v on house batteries with every light in the coach on. Ran 15 min all was well. Connected back to 50 amp service and in 10 min. House batteries at 13.1v. Why the fuses blew I don't know.

The help you guys provided last night was amazing. Thanks so very much. I may also say WB tech support was a great help. I would never have found the converter without them. Just for the record it's under the bottom drawer of the stove in the compartment for the outside entertainment center.

Once again many thanks to all that helped. Now we can have a "Magical Day" and spend more Mickey bucks.

Good news! You may want to look into purchasing a surge/voltage protector like this:
EMS-LCHW50C

Jim

Tags
batteries