Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Was changing the old converter to a PD 9245C today and lost 12v lights, fridge etc after I plugged into shore power and plugged the converter into AC. When taking the wires loose from the old one, I accidently let (2) of them touch resulting in sparks. I'm thinking a fuse was blown but where? I've checked the 12v and ac breaker panel by the entrance door and seems ok. Have also checked fuses under the dash and under the hood and they also seem ok. My EMS panel does not have any readout on shore power but the 2 amp fuse looks good. The gennie also turns over but will not start.
Anyone plse!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Was changing the old converter to a PD 9245C today and lost 12v lights, fridge etc after I plugged into shore power and plugged the converter into AC. When taking the wires loose from the old one, I accidently let (2) of them touch resulting in sparks. I'm thinking a fuse was blown but where? I've checked the 12v and ac breaker panel by the entrance door and seems ok. Have also checked fuses under the dash and under the hood and they also seem ok. My EMS panel does not have any readout on shore power but the 2 amp fuse looks good. The gennie also turns over but will not start.
Anyone plse!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:05 AM   #3

I remember seeing a fuse in your battery tray area from the 12 volt source....I think that is it.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #4

I had several 5th wheels with an inline fuse in the positive cable coming off the batteries. If you touched the battery cables together while removing the converter, that would knock such a fuse out. Maybe worth a look....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I accidently did the same thing when I changed out my Inverter/converter. Result was the 200 amp fuse blew. Mine is located on the positive (red) cable at the batteries bolted to the support tubing. The local RV store did not carry any but I found one at my local Boating supply store. Exact duplicate as the one blew.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I remember seeing a fuse in your battery tray area from the 12 volt source....I think that is it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
----------------------------------------------
I believe there is a fuse on the converter itself, and I also remember seeing a fuse in your battery tray area.
----------------------------------------------
Also, did you check to see if the fused link tripped? (near your 120 volt breaker box)[QUOTE]

FrontRangeRVer
I've checked in the battery storage area under the steps for a fuse but don't see one. Both fuses on the new converter look good. Our breaker box is right inside the entry door but don't see anything like a fused link unless it's behind the panel?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
I had several 5th wheels with an inline fuse in the positive cable coming off the batteries. If you touched the battery cables together while removing the converter, that would knock such a fuse out. Maybe worth a look....

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RustyJC
I thought so too but didn't see anything unless it was hiding.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Florida Guy:
I accidently did the same thing when I changed out my Inverter/converter. Result was the 200 amp fuse blew. Mine is located on the positive (red) cable at the batteries bolted to the support tubing. The local RV store did not carry any but I found one at my local Boating supply store. Exact duplicate as the one blew. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Florida Guy
I assume you meant 20a instead of 200a?
If I have such a thing, it must be wrapped pretty good to avoid detection.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
Anyone plse! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A summary of the above:
(unplugged shore power)
1. Was changing out existing converter to PD 9245C and accidently let (2) wires on old converter touch causing sparks. Lights were on while removing old conv and stayed on after wires touched/sparked.
2. Installed new converter, (plugged in shore power) plugged converter into AC connector and 12v lights went out. No 12v lights, no power to fridge panel, no lights/power to EMS panel(2a fuse appears good). Shore power is good at plug ins. Checked 12v fuse/ac beakers at main box. None tripped. Checked fuses under dash and under hood. All appear good. What a PITA!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

No, NOT 20 Amp. It is a 200 Amp fusable link. It's the main fuse for the entire coach. Because you have a different coach, your's may not be 200 Amp. Maybe 100-150 Amp. The 200 Amp is what our Journey has.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:23 AM   #11

You have 120 volts to the converter? Hook up your old converter to see if works....if it doesn't, you have a blown 12 volt inline fuse between the converter and the battery bank.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #12

JC2, let us know what you find.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:03 PM   #13
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
JC2, let us know what you find. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Contacted the Winnie dealer and they thought I probably fried something! Duh! Am taking it in first thing tomorrow am. Will advise what they find.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
JC2, let us know what you find. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Contacted the Winnie dealer and they thought I probably fried something! Duh! Am taking it in first thing tomorrow am. Will advise what they find. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!
Took the MH to the dealer after failing to find the problem on my own even with the help of others on this forum. Seems to be another 12v panel that was behind a small panel that sits on the top entry step. This panel has some heavy duty 12v breakers one of which was a for the chassis power. Yep, it was tripped and after pushing, all 12v power came back. A little voice told me to disconnect the battery cables before doing the converter swap but I didn't listen. I'll take a pic and post in a couple of days in hopes this will help someone in the future.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:30 AM   #15

JC2, let us know how you like your new Progressive Dynamics PD 9245 Converter. Did you get the pendant, and where did you install it?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
JC2
Winnie-Wise

JC2, let us know how you like your new Progressive Dynamics PD 9245 Converter. Did you get the pendant, and where did you install it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about the delay in responding. Went out of town for several days to out lake property to winterize it for the winter and after returning, found out my E-Mail program was totally screwed up for several days. I did get the PD9245 installed after finding where the 12v breaker had tripped. Have not got around to installing the remote pendant yet. Haven't noticed the fan running on the new converter so don't know if it's super quiet or maybe not working. Now I've got to figure out why I seem to have less power in the motor home as it doesn't take much to cause the tarnny to downshift. I replaced the plug wires (found #5 to be bad)several weeks ago and regapped the OEM plugs to .045. I first noticed the power issue on our Colorado trip in August. Might replace the plugs with 41-932's and gap to .045 then if no difference, go with Taylor 409's. Maybe clean the MAF sensor?