Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

An accidental start of generator while plugged into a 120 30amp source has apparently "killed off" the 120 shore feed. Generator works fine and feeds ac etc. Tramsfer switch problem? Any easy fix??
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

An accidental start of generator while plugged into a 120 30amp source has apparently "killed off" the 120 shore feed. Generator works fine and feeds ac etc. Tramsfer switch problem? Any easy fix??
Old 07-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: It is actually not a problem to start the generator with shore power connected. Most likely problem is a tripped breaker. However a transfer switch problem is also possible. A test light or VOM is the way to troubleshoot this kind of thing. Just check where the voltage is and where it isn't.
Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

While plugged into shore power and with the generator off, give the transfer switch a couple of whacks with the big end of a screwdriver. It may just be stuck...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">give the transfer switch a couple of whacks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The contacts in the transfer switch can be "burned" if transfer takes place while large loads are present. Thus the recommendation to turn off large loads before starting/stopping the generator when connected to shore power. I had to give my original transfer switch a good whack with the heel of my hand a few times to make it kick in until it was terminated by lightning last year. The new transfer switch has never caused any problems.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Although you CAN power up the generator while plugged in to shore power (and as far as I know, the transfer panel will automatically go to the generator when it's on) - I use the same precautions I do regardless of whether I'm plugging in / unplugging, or starting / shutting down the generator. In short - make sure no high current devices are on line (A/C, washer / dryer, electric WH).

Over time, We've accidentally blown up one generator control board and one surge capacitor on the washer by not being more careful (and informed) about these procedures.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

The "whack the transfer switch" solution actually worked!

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Since you didn't mention drawig a heavy load at the time, I didn't even think about that. We alwayscheck to make sure heavy load things are turned off before causing the transfer switch to change position. Actually, if you have a "surge guard" starting the generator won't do anything until after a minute or so while the generator warms up and the voltage etc. check is taking place. I think this is a good reason to have a surge guard installed.

I even have my wife trained to turn off stuff before turning generator off etc. Not bad, huh?

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote