Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Newbie Inverter question

Hi All,
I'm still figuring out all of the buttons and switches on my 2008 Itasca Ellipse (40 footer diesel pusher).

We are spending the summer in an RV park that only has 30amp service. Most of the time it's not a problem, except at breakfast and supper when we are cooking and the A/C is running. We keep bumping up against that 30 amp limit even with the PowerLine control center shutting off some of the systems.

I seem to remember that the salesman mentioned that the inverter (Dimensions) can be used to provide 110v power to certain systems when we are boondocking and can't or don't want to use the generator.

My question is...Can I use the inverter to give me power off of our house batteries to help augment the 30amp I'm getting from the power pole, or will that cause something to blow up?

Thanks!
iam144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You won't blow up anything. How big is the inverter and what do you want to power with it? Those are the things to keep in mind. In addition, you want to be sure the batteries will be recharged as you use the energy stored in them to power your 120 v needs. If the park allows it, you might think about using a 15-20 amp extension cord from the pedestal to power an appliance or two in the RV. Some campgrounds get upset if they see a second power cord, others might not notice it. Check the power needs of the things you'd like to run on the inverter and choose the ones that fit in the power available. When we're on 30 amp service, I know it's only one A/C, the refrigerator, and a few smaller appliances. Hair dryer, toaster, coffee makers all must be used one at a time or we'll exceed the 30 amp limit if the A/C is on and cycling.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't believe that you'll be able to use your inverter while you're plugged into shore power--it will go into standby mode if you turn it on. You could use it if you unplug, but then you wouldn't have A/C.

Your best bet may be to turn off the A/C while you're cooking to cut the load and let you use the microwave, toaster, hair dryer, etc. without issue.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

If the power pole has both a 30 & 20 amp outlets, I have seen cable adapters that will plug into both and then you plug your 50 amp into that cable. My rig is only a 30 amp, so I can't say first hand how well it works, but only a suggestion. Enjoy the camping!!!!!!
jimnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I don't believe that you'll be able to use your inverter while you're plugged into shore power--it will go into standby mode if you turn it on. You could use it if you unplug, but then you wouldn't have A/C.

Your best bet may be to turn off the A/C while you're cooking to cut the load and let you use the microwave, toaster, hair dryer, etc. without issue.
Yep,
That's the way I understand things work too. Unless there's been some advancements in RV/Inverter operational characteristics, the Inverter/charger will "flow through" the incoming A/C voltage (from shore power plug) to be used for whatever purpose(s), up to, the max allowable amps. In your case, 30. If it's (the inverter) turned on, while the A/C voltage is still coming through, it will, as stated, go into a "Stand By" mode. If you loose shore power due to an outage or, someone disconnects the shore power plug, the Inverter/Charger will automatically engage and, power up, all the appliances that it's assigned to, that are being used at the time the A/C shore power voltage was interrupted.

At least this is the way it's always been explained to me.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnic View Post
If the power pole has both a 30 & 20 amp outlets, I have seen cable adapters that will plug into both and then you plug your 50 amp into that cable. My rig is only a 30 amp, so I can't say first hand how well it works, but only a suggestion. Enjoy the camping!!!!!!
A 50 amp RV plug has two hot legs of 50 amps each, one neutral, and a ground. It has the ability to provide 100 amps of 120 v AC power.
A 30 amp RV plug and a 20 amp RV plug has one hot, one neutral, one ground for a total of 30(20) amps. You can't just use an adaptor to join the two circuits together. The two legs of a 50 amp service are 180º out of phase from each other, all bets are off on what the phases are in the 30 amp and the 20 amp, likely on the same phase.

50 amp RV service supplies 12,000 Watts of power. (120v X 2 X 50a) A 30 amp RV service only supplies 3,600 Watts, (120 v X 30a) or a little less than 1/3 of 50 amp service.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If you have your inverter supplying power to certain plugs, I believe a transfer switch give priority to the shore power when plugged in or the Genny when started.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

iam144, turn off the breaker feeding the inverter at the times you need a little more power. The inverter (2000 Watts) feed most of the recepts. Shore power will feed the AC units. See drawing below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 40fd inverter.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	98825  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Inverter Question

BFlinn181 - Thanks! This is the best explanation I've read about the differences between 30 and 50 AMP service. I've been trying to wrap my head around how and when the inverter is on and being used. I'm concerned about how the Refrigerator (residential type) in our 2014 Suncruser 37F will work and keep things cool while driving to Forest City, Iowa about 12 days from now for the Grand National Rally. The Walk-Thru Technician said the Refrig was plugged into the inverter but that it would only run the Refrig for about 4 hours. So the inverter will power the Refrig unless the shore power is connected in which case the shore power is running the Refrig. But when driving down the road, are the Coach Batteries being charged and therefore able to provide power to the inverter to the Refrigerator??? Any clarification is appreciated. Jimmy and I are new at this and I want to understand what is happening.
Artcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

When driving, the engine alternator provides charging power to the chassis, for sure. I'd think your house batteries also charge too, but you can check with a multimeter. Take a voltage reading on the house batteries with everything off, then start the engine and take a voltage reading on the house batteries again. An increase in voltage shows charging by the alternator. If so, your refrigerator will not deplete your batteries while traveling.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Jim,
Yes the engine alternator will charge your house batteries as you drive down the road. The house batteries will run the inverter that will provide the 2 amps needed to keep the refrigerator nice and cold. Make sure the inverter is turned on. (I just open the refrigerator door to make sure the bulb is on. Or, you can press the menu button and see if the little light comes on.)
If you stop at Walmart or a rest area and turn your engine off, the inverter will continue to use your batteries to run the refrigerator, so don't shop for 5 hours.
You will enjoy GNR.

>> Dennis
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Artcie I question the comment by the tech that did the walk through on your coach. You have four AGM Group 31 coach batteries which have a total of 800 minutes of Battery Reserve Capacity which equals about 13 hrs at 25 amps. I would think it would be more like 10 hrs. before they need a boost. Ask around when you get to the GNR.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

When we get to the Grand National Rally, I certainly will be seeking answers and plan to attend a lot of the seminars. Your information was right on what I suspected but wasn't sure about. I understand the basic concepts (college physics class) but don't know diddlysquat about actually dealing with the parts and pieces. And Dennis, don't worry. I'm not a big shopper and 5 hours in WalMart is way more than I can endure!!! We leave for Iowa in 11 days and I'm so excited! Thanks again for your keen insight and answers.
Artcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Those adapters will not work on modern RV's. The internal sensors of the RV power system will keep it from working. Wish it did work. I bought one and a friend did too but both did not work and after researching it we found that none of these will work on RV's that monitor the incoming power.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam144 View Post

My question is...Can I use the inverter to give me power off of our house batteries to help augment the 30amp I'm getting from the power pole, or will that cause something to blow up?

Thanks!
Check this out. It will do what you want. Wish I had one myself.
Magnum Energy introduces new Hybrid inverter/chargers - Magnum Energy, Inc.

Also here:
http://magnumenergy.com/msh-m-series-invertercharger/

Pricey though at $2,227.50:
http://www.amazon.com/Watt-120Volt-6...+inverters+MSH
Old 07-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Jim,
Yes the engine alternator will charge your house batteries as you drive down the road. The house batteries will run the inverter that will provide the 2 amps needed to keep the refrigerator nice and cold.......

>> Dennis
That is true for residential refrigerators but the inverter usually does not supply AC power to LP/Elec refrigerators.

When driving the LP runs the cooling and will switch to AC when plugged in or on generator. Since residential fridges never use LP, the inverter is wired to power the fridge. Not sure if this all applies to the newest rigs but my 2004 does this and all I've seen work this way. I'd be interested to hear if any LP fridges out there run on inverters.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcie View Post
When we get to the Grand National Rally, I certainly will be seeking answers and plan to attend a lot of the seminars. Your information was right on what I suspected but wasn't sure about. I understand the basic concepts (college physics class) but don't know diddlysquat about actually dealing with the parts and pieces. And Dennis, don't worry. I'm not a big shopper and 5 hours in WalMart is way more than I can endure!!! We leave for Iowa in 11 days and I'm so excited! Thanks again for your keen insight and answers.
There will be a seminar by the Magnum inverter company. It will address these issues and this seminar is given more than once during the week. They always have question time at the end of the talk. I already have several questions ready for that one.

Our inverter info is in this blog post for our solar system setup.
http://walkaboutwithwheels.blogspot....ar-system.html

See you at the Rally!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post
Those adapters will not work on modern RV's. The internal sensors of the RV power system will keep it from working. Wish it did work. I bought one and a friend did too but both did not work and after researching it we found that none of these will work on RV's that monitor the incoming power.
See post #6

Bob & Donna
Old 07-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #19

Quote:
jimnic
Those cable adapters, (commonly called "cheater cords"or "cheater adapters"), will not work if either of the pedestal receptacles are GFCI protected, (which most, if not all, 20A campground receptacles are).
I have found my cheater adapter to be useless because it always trips the pedestal 20A GFCI.
Progressive Industries RV 50A Cheater Box
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

As others have pointed out, the inverter has a transfer switch that provides AC from shore power when connected. When connected to shore power, the inverter charges the batteries. On the road, Winnebago's have a battery mode solenoid or charge solenoid that bridges the chassis and house batteries together so both get charged by the alternator. The fridge circuit is fed from the inverter breaker panel so it will operate on the road thru the inverter. Leave the inverter an standby and the fridge will transfer seamlessly to the inverter when the shore power is disconnected. Good luck and safe travels,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, newbie