Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi everyone, my husband and I are new to this board and sure am happy with it. I've found some very useful information here. Thank you.
I'm having a problem with our phone lines. The phones are not working inside. The box out on the poll itself is working.
We have a Winnie 06 Vectra 40FD. We've only had it for around 3 weeks.
Has anyone experienced this with their Coach?
Thank you again.

Sweet40FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi everyone, my husband and I are new to this board and sure am happy with it. I've found some very useful information here. Thank you.
I'm having a problem with our phone lines. The phones are not working inside. The box out on the poll itself is working.
We have a Winnie 06 Vectra 40FD. We've only had it for around 3 weeks.
Has anyone experienced this with their Coach?
Thank you again.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here. You are correct, there is a wealth of information here for the asking. Can't speak specifically to your problem, but could be as simple as a loose connection at the jack, or a bad wire connecting to the pole. Hopefully someone will come along shortly with better information.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you. We checked the wire from the pole itself. It worked. We are taking it into the dealership this Friday to have it checked along with a few other minor things. It worried me because I'm afraid it's going to be something major. We live in our Motorhome and the dealership we're taking it to doesn't have hookups and we'd have to stay out on the street. So I'm hoping it's something easy to correct because we'll just about have to come back the same day. Plus we have a little dog too.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If that is a factory installed option I wouild suspect it would be covered under warranty. If not, keep checking back, I'm sure someone will come along with a possible solution.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yes; it was factory installed and is covered by warrenty. I was just worried about how they would be able to fix it if it was a wiring problem within the walls. Because we have jacks in both the lounge area and the bedroom. There's alot of distance between the two. We pulled the plate out of the one in the lounge and the wiring looks fine. We were unable to pull the one out in the bedroom and didn't want to force it. I'm hoping that's where the problem might be.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Don't let yourself get too worried yet. Let the dealer check it out. It could be something as simple as one of the jacks being bad.

One suggestion. Put your vehicle information in your signature line. It will make it easier for others to help, and you won't need to remember to describe your unit each time you post.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yes - welcome

Did you check all of your phone outlets in the coach? Is your cable from the box/pole to the coach known-good? Is whatever you are trying to use in the coach known-good also? Never assume anything when troubleshooting.

All of that is under warranty, so it's not on your nickle except for the time/fuel/waiting at the dealer. I have found that most warranty problems in our coach have had a fairly simple solution - I would initially assume that on yours as well.

We also are now fulltiming and have had several service experiences while living aboard with two cats. Most places we have been to will let you hookup (usually only electricity - be sure and have a 30 amp and a 20 amp electrical cord adapter on board) and spend the night or whatever. We have actually spent the night in a service bay at the giant Lazydays in Seffner, Florida - not a great situation but we dealt with it.

Recently at the Winnebago factory we got a motel room for 4 four nights - it was just easier than hanging aoround the lounge.

Good luck!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hi Sweet40FD,
I just reviewed the schematics for your coach and the telephone wiring part leaves a lot to be desired. But telephone wiring isn't to tough to start with. Their will normally be a 4 wire (two twisted pair) cable strung from the input panel in the electrical compartment to each of the jack panels in the coach. They can be wired individually from the input panel to each outlet or they can be daisy chained in any configuration.

It's just a mater of connecting the four colored wires to the appropriate pin in the jack. If your phone works when plugged into the park box but doesn't work in any outlet inside the coach, I would suspect the patch cable you are using form the pole to the input panel of the coach. I have seen too many RJ11 (that's the jack that's used) patch cables that were either wired wrong or one of the wires didn't make contact in the connector. If you know the patch cable is good, then the next place to look is the input panel itself. Especially if none of the outlets are working.

If you are unable to resolve this yourself, this should be an easy fix for the dealer, so don't worry too much.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hi again Sweet40FD,
I just found this link that should help you to understand how telephones are wired and what your problem might be. Have fun troubleshooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ-11
Old 05-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all again. Yes; the line from the pole is working. We have it ran through a window right now so our phone/fax. They both work.
So I'm hoping it will be something simple for the dealership to correct.
Tom; I can't figure out how to put my vehicle identification on signature line.
Thank you again

Old 05-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Click on "GO",then "view edit complete profile",then add your rig info in the signature line...(I already added your rig type there,just follow my lead for toad info and such.)

Maybe use what I have in my for an idea....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Rebelsbeach. I appreciate it. As soon as we get pictures of our Motorhome I'll add them on here also. You guys have all been such a great help. Thank you again.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I have the same problem you have with my phone input jack. I have had it checked by a phone tech, he reports the wiring is ok. Some one may have put a staple though the line some where between the front and the back modular jacks. He suggest that I just run the wire under the driver door, as the wire is flat any way. I have been doing this from the post and have had no further problems. A dealer could tie up a coach for weeks trying to find the problem.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Hi Homer, thanks for the info. I'm hoping it's going to be something simple. We have the wire coming in through a window right now; and it really doesn't look good. I was picking with Rick telling him to just throw some duct tape over the wire to hide it. We should know something tomorrow when we take it in.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We had the dealer check the phone line Friday. They said they didn't know what the problem was. They did the same thing we did. They plugged their phone line to the coach and used their own phone to see if it worked. It didn't. That's all they did to it. They didn't check anything else and told us that they were going to call Winnebago and see if they had any ideas. So I'm still in limbo. They did fix our leak under the sink. But the tech said the odor under the kitchen sink was Winnabego's fault for putting the vent there. He basically said there is nothing that can be done. I was dissapointed.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

That "vent" the tech complained about is a necessary item for the proper drainage of your sink and grey tank. It is a "one way" air vent, usually with a rubber flapper inside. It is easily replaced, sounds like your "tech" doesn't quite know what he is talking about.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I feel the same way. I am going to take the extra drive and go back the the dealership we bought the coach from to get the things fixed. We had the appointment with this dealer this past Friday. I always heard of the bad service you can get when going on a Friday. We have several things that need to be fixed. We live in our Coach so we just about have to have a dealer with hookups if they need it more than one day. This dealer we went to didn't have any and said we could park on the street outside the service fence when we brought it back in the future. I declined because of the bad area they were in.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hopefully you have a service appointment with the dealer to fix it. Keep a list of everything wrong and make sure he is attentive to the list. At this stage all will be warranty repairs for which the dealer is reimbursed by Winnebago. If you have any problems contact Winnebago customer service for advice. By all means make sure all claims are documented by the dealer, whether they are fixed or not. You odor problem should be one easily fixed, it is likely the vent (actually a vacumn breaker)and is listed as a Winnebago part and easily replaced.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:21 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Been following your post the tel wire where it connects into your coach could be checked your self the wire on jack may have been nicked when screw was tighten just needs to be reconnected, the vent under sink can be replaced. If you go to "FIND" and type in ,vent smells, you will get some helpful answers, take off check mark.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote