Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My Onan 5500 will not stay running and is reporting error 27.

I'm also having an issue with the Inverter. It did work yesterday with both the front TV and the rear TV but late last night and today it will not run either. It just pops up saying low battery. But yet my Management System says my batteries are like almost 100%.

It will run my DVD player with no problem. I need to hook up a light and see if it works.

I can't get my Generator to run to see if the TV still works. I need to hook up the shore power.

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax-Allison
bccsrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm also having an issue with the Inverter. It did work yesterday with both the front TV and the rear TV but late last night and today it will not run either. It just pops up saying low battery. But yet my Management System says my batteries are like almost 100%.

It will run my DVD player with no problem. I need to hook up a light and see if it works.

I can't get my Generator to run to see if the TV still works. I need to hook up the shore power.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bccsrc:

I can't get my Generator to run to see if the TV still works. I need to hook up the shore power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went to the Onan website but could not find error codes, at least not #27. Did a Google search but found some pretty wierd stuff!

http://www.onan.com/onan/rvgenerators/generatorHome.jsp

My inverter is set up to run the front and rear t.v., but not the DVD player. I guess I need to see if I can simply plug in the DVD / Surround Sound to it. When you say DVD player, is it only a VHS / DVD player or is it a Surround Sound too?
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

IS FUEL TANK AT ONE QUARTER FULL?? IF SO FILL UP
Old 04-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Low battery is one common reason for a generator starting but not staying running. Perhaps your Management System is wrong? ...or you are mis-reading it?

I have a 7500. I just dug my Onan Operators Manual (for HDKAJ, HDKAK, HDKAT) out of the basement storage bag. It says in the troubleshooting section that code 27 is: "PMA SENSE LOST FAULT (Controller unable to sense PMA frequency) Corrective action: See an authorized Onan dealer." ...I have no clue what that is talking about, other than the "see an authorized Onan dealer" part!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
I went to the Onan website but could not find error codes, at least not #27. Did a Google search but found some pretty wierd stuff!

http://www.onan.com/onan/rvgenerators/generatorHome.jsp

My inverter is set up to run the front and rear t.v., but not the DVD player. I guess I need to see if I can simply plug in the DVD / Surround Sound to it. When you say DVD player, is it only a VHS / DVD player or is it a Surround Sound too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's the DVD/Surround Sound system. It has power with the inverter but I cannot turn the TV on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
Low battery is one common reason for a generator starting but not staying running. Perhaps your Management System is wrong? ...or you are mis-reading it?

I have a 7500. I just dug my Onan Operators Manual (for HDKAJ, HDKAK, HDKAT) out of the basement storage bag. It says in the troubleshooting section that code 27 is: "PMA SENSE LOST FAULT (Controller unable to sense PMA frequency) Corrective action: See an authorized Onan dealer." ...I have no clue what that is talking about, other than the "see an authorized Onan dealer" part! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is plenty of battery left. All of the lights are working and I can slide the slide outs in and out with no issue.

That is the Error Code. It only happens when the RV is plugged into the Gen Outlet. Otherwise the generator will run with the power plug unplugged.

The fuel tank is almost full.

I plugged into shorepower and everything works like it should. This 34A is amazing! It doesn't even compare to my old Hurricane. I'm so happy!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bccsrc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:

I have a 7500. I just dug my Onan Operators Manual (for HDKAJ, HDKAK, HDKAT) out of the basement storage bag. It says in the troubleshooting section that code 27 is: "PMA SENSE LOST FAULT (Controller unable to sense PMA frequency) Corrective action: See an authorized Onan dealer." ...I have no clue what that is talking about, other than the "see an authorized Onan dealer" part! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is plenty of battery left. All of the lights are working and I can slide the slide outs in and out with no issue.

That is the Error Code. It only happens when the RV is plugged into the Gen Outlet. Otherwise the generator will run with the power plug unplugged.

The fuel tank is almost full.

I plugged into shorepower and everything works like it should. This 34A is amazing! It doesn't even compare to my old Hurricane. I'm so happy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting regarding your inverter; my t.v. will run, but not the VHS/DVSD/Surround Sound and yours is the complete opposite. I went out and looked at mine very quickly but the inverter is mounted and I didn't see what plugs in to where or how many 110v outlets it has. Will have to take a better look and see if both can easily plugged in. Using the inverter during 'quiet hours' for the t.v. is great but not so great if you can't watch a movie, which seems like a basic premise.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bccsrc:........
I have a 7500. I just dug my Onan Operators e

That is the Error Code. It only happens when the RV is plugged into the Gen Outlet. Otherwise the generator will run with the power plug unplugged. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The generator will shut down immediately after starting if it does not sense A/C POWER OUTPUT from the rotating generator unit (CODE #27 - PMA sense not present). That is why it will run without being pluged into a power demand - only the engine is being monitored. When you plug into the motorhome circuit it then senses the GENERATOR for A/C POWER OUTPUT and if it doesn't find it, the unit shuts itself down. You probably have a bad circuit board that needs to be replaced. It is a pretty common occurance.

Good luck - Glenn
Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutha:
The generator will shut down immediately after starting if it does not sense A/C POWER OUTPUT from the rotating generator unit (CODE #27 - PMA sense not present). That is why it will run without being pluged into a power demand - only the engine is being monitored. When you plug into the motorhome circuit it then senses the GENERATOR for A/C POWER OUTPUT and if it doesn't find it, the unit shuts itself down. You probably have a bad circuit board that needs to be replaced. It is a pretty common occurance.

Good luck - Glenn </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the information. I'm taking it in on Friday. They are going to fix my list of problems and install the In-Motion Satellite system. Yippee!