Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New Battery Not Starting Engine

So went to start my RV up and she wouldn't. I had left the drivers door open a week back and drained out the battery then recharged it but the battery was over 3 years old, so i figured the battery had just had it.

Put a brand new battery in and turned the ignition to the on position and got nothing on my panel voltage meter. After about 1 min it jumped to 12.7 so then I tried to start her. Just got 2 clicks. Nothin.

I know its not the starter because I switched it to the cabin batteries and it started right up. I know its not the battery because I went and had it checked at the auto store. Its not too small a battery either because it takes a group 78 which is standard 650 cca pretty sure and I bought the 800cca one. I checked to see if maybe I bumped a ground loose but they are still connected. Terminals look good too.

The fact that is takes about 20 secs for the panel volt meter to show 12.7 after I've turned it to the on position is the only thing I can think about. It didn't use to do that.

Its a '82 Minnie Winnie 420RG. They are build on a Chevy Van 30 platform 350 5.7 v8 motor. Any help would be appreciated.
Vibiojj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
It really sounds like you have a bad connection some place. So the engine starts when you use the emergency switch? Then it must be a cable from the chassis battery, either the ground or positive. Try using a single jumper cable and clamping it to the battery negative terminal and ground. Also jump from the battery positive to the relay that switches over to the house batteries.
Good Luck.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Battery cable ends always LOOK good. You can't see the area of contact.

They need to be removed and cleaned to be good.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

As Twinboat pounded into my head a couple of weeks ago..

Don't LOOK at the battery cables/connections, CLEAN them.
My rig was doing the same thing, it was the ground to frame connection that needed cleaning on mine.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Well, went and replaced the positive and negative cables. Cleaned the ground contact areas on the frame too. Same thing happening.
Vibiojj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If it still starts with the boost switch, you need to find the junction point of the house and start batteries and work back from there to the start battery.

If there are not 2 positive cables on the start battery, Listen for the boost solenoid to clunk. That is one place they both could be.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiojj83 View Post

After about 1 min it jumped to 12.7 so then I tried to start her. Just got 2 clicks. Nothin.
Classic bad connection , the connection warms up to pass some power ( hence the voltage reading ) then when the call comes to pass amperage to get the job done; the connection fails .
A voltmeter will give a reading , with only mili-amps of power , perfect connections are required for the starter to function properly.

Tags
battery, engine