Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New 1999 Itasca spirit owner - need toad wiring on the rv

Sorry if this should be on the towing forum. But I found no electrical references over there.

My 1999 Spirit has a 6 way socket attached but my dvm shows it is not functioning with the engine running, lights on turn signals, brakes, etc.

I would like to know how to best approach getting this to work? Should I start over and try to create a harness? Are prebuilt harnesses available for this model? Should I just try to troubleshoot the existing connections?

Is there an existing wiring diagram that clearly shows the connections for a 7 way socket for this e350 SD Trition chassis?

Thanks, Alan
HiFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Found the Winnie wiring Diagr - Sorry for the panic post

I also found that the existing 6 way socket is very old, dirty and corroded. So that is the first thing. If a new socket doesn't improve things, I'll do some tracing.

In the Winnie wiring digr. I found the 6 way socket. So it seems that, if the coach turn signals & tail lights work, then the socket connection should work as well. We'll see.

Alan
HiFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Just Trying to Help

Alan-

Fix what you have.

Winnebago supplies online wiring diagrams for your coach here. Your coach came from the factory with a 6-pin hitch connector, not a 7-pin.

Ford provides fuse panel information for your coach online, here. For starters, check fuses 5 and 6 in the Power Distribution Box (see page 130 of the manual). The PDB is under the hood- I'm thinking on the driver's side, near the front.

It appears as if the rear lights on the coach and the trailer lights were spliced together at the factory, so the logical question is: "Do the lights work on the coach?"

The next question is: "Is the ground pin connected to ground?"

And finally, "Are there any odd-looking wiring or components within four feet of the hitch connector?"
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, toad, wiring