Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need a little help please with the Powerline System.

I am plugged into a 30amp recepticale that is wired wrong. It has 2 hot legs - it is wired like a 50amp except it is a 30 amp plug in. The breaker is a 30 amp. I could not understand why my Powerline was reading 50 amps until I blew the breaker. I went and checked and sure enough - it has 2 hot legs and a neutral. It is not mine so I cannot just go re-wire it the right way.

I thought there was a way to select 30amps on the Powerline but I cannot find my manual in the bags. I would appreciate it if someone would look in their bag and see how to force the Powerline to accept only 30 amps. Either that or how to force the Powerline to turn off the #2 AC compressor.

Thanks a lot

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Need a little help please with the Powerline System.

I am plugged into a 30amp recepticale that is wired wrong. It has 2 hot legs - it is wired like a 50amp except it is a 30 amp plug in. The breaker is a 30 amp. I could not understand why my Powerline was reading 50 amps until I blew the breaker. I went and checked and sure enough - it has 2 hot legs and a neutral. It is not mine so I cannot just go re-wire it the right way.

I thought there was a way to select 30amps on the Powerline but I cannot find my manual in the bags. I would appreciate it if someone would look in their bag and see how to force the Powerline to accept only 30 amps. Either that or how to force the Powerline to turn off the #2 AC compressor.

Thanks a lot

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Adrain,

There should be a separate breaker in your circuit breaker box for the #2 compressor.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

Thanks - that's a good suggestion. I guess I am to far in the forest to see the trees -

I have the refrigerator and hot water heater switched over to LP. The battery charger is off. The inverter is off. The only 120v things on are the TV and my computer with the Datastorm modem, controller and router. All together maybe 7 to 9 amps if I remember correctly. I guess I need to right that stuff down some day.

It's clouded up a little right now and cooled down so the AC is not so much a necessity right at the moment.

Thanksfor the tip.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Powerline isn't the answer, its doing what it should, it senses two hot leads and thinks it's a 50 amp hookup.

All forcing it into 30 amp mode would do is turn off a few things to keep you power use under 30 amps, not fix the bad wiring.

Unplug, and move. You have no neutral lead right now and are using the ground. Not the best thing to be doing.

But as I think about it, your 50 to 30 amp adapter links the two hot legs togther, the Powerline must be confused by not seing any neutral.

Do you have a surgegard? Did it let you hook up? I would think it would be smart enough to find something like this, but I'm not sure.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Tim,

Yes, I do have a SurgeGuard and it is not sencing a low voltage or anything wrong. It thinks it is plugged into a 50 amp service with 2 hot 120v legs as normal.

Yes, you are correct, it is not the best situation but this being the Memorial weekend it will be tough to go somewhere else except a Wally World on generator.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Adrian,

I assume you are using an 50 to 30 adapter and if that assumption is correct, you have an unwinable situation. You can't disconnect the incorrect leg, can't fix the lack of neutral, and can't get a real 50A incoming.

While the park is responsible, by being require to meet NEC, getting them to respond may be difficutl. If the park can't/won't resolve the situation, as has been mentioned by some else here, it's time to disconnect and move.

I wish I could offer something with a faster better answer, but as mentioned earlier, it's a difficult situation.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can do.

Mike
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hi Adrian,

If this were my situation, I'd run over to Lowe's and get a 50 amp Oven/Range recepticle, a 30amp RV extension cord, and enough 8 ga green wire to make an extra ground/neutral. Cut off the female end of the 30amp cord, wire up the two hots, the neutral, and the ground maybe to the water supply or drive a new grounding rod. I'd put the 50 amp recpticle in the elec compartment or under the coach to keep out of the rain.

You wouldn't be disturbing the electrical "situation" and you could take the parts with you when you leave.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mike,

I am not at an RV park but at a private individual's home. It is a weird situation but there is really nothing I can do about the wiring. I plan on pulling out of here on Tuesday AMwhen I can get into an RV Park some where near where I am.

Meanwhile, help educate me - is it possible to cause damage to the coach in the present situation as long as I stay below 30 amp draw?

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Adrian,when are you guys going to Walnut Hills?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Bob,

If there is an opening we are planning to head up there on Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-28-2006, 01:29 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">am plugged into a 30amp recepticale that is wired wrong. It has 2 hot legs - it is wired like a 50amp except it is a 30 amp plug in. The breaker is a 30 amp. I could not understand why my Powerline was reading 50 amps until I blew the breaker. I went and checked and sure enough - it has 2 hot legs and a neutral. It is not mine so I cannot just go re-wire it the right way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is nothing wrong with the wiring. This is 230 volt 30 amp (dual phase) power connection. Our typical 50 Amp hookup is a (dual phase) 230 volt 50 amp feed. This means that the coach is using each phase seperately at 115 volts at 50 amps. Or in your case now 30 amps

The typical 30 amp connection that we are used to seeing in campgrounds are 30 amps, 115 volt single phase circuit. In your current situation you have two of those. The coach determines if you have a 50 amp connection by only checking for dual phase power feeds. As such the coach thinks you are on a 50 amp circiut.

If in your current situation you power consumption exceeds 30 amps, you will trip a circuit breaker.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Harry,

That is exactly what I was thinking too but I thought I would ask one of the guru's here.

Thanks for the reply and I will sleep better tonight as long as I watch my electricity usage. It is just like living on the boat for 4.5 years with 30 amps at a dock.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

But doesn't a 30 to 50 amp adapter tie the two hot leads togther? I has to, right? When you say it's 30 amps, I assume you meant a 3 prong standard RV style receptacle?

But, if the surgegaurd is happy, I don't know that I'd worry too much.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Tim
NO, the adapter does'nt connect the two hot leads together.One lead is 110 VAC the second is neutral third ground
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Gardiser:
Tim
NO, the adapter does'nt connect the two hot leads together.One lead is 110 VAC the second is neutral third ground
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

So one of Adrian's hot leads from the bogus recepticle is feeding power to his neutral which is not a good thing.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Harry
Someone wired the pedistal incorrectly.Using the 30 amp plugs we all have are meant for 110 VAC only,with a neutral and a ground.
Also there is no such thing as (dual phase)you probably are thinking each line 110 vac each, which is still single phase.There is also three phase electric mostly used in commercial areas.I know I'm opening a can of worms at this point.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Old 05-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Gardiser:
Tim
Ed Gardiser
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adrian must not be using a standard 50 to 30 amp adapter. Any standard RV one that takes a 4 prong 50 amp plug and converts it to 30 amp 3 prong HAS to hook the two hot leads togther.

I bet he's made up an adapter to use what's on the wall at the house. RV 30 amp plugs are not standard outside the RV business.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Donavon
You make a good point
I know that Adrian has installed a Surge Guard hard wired protector,it checks the incoming voltage.I would think that if there was 110 vac on the neutral it would trip off,something like a ground fault protector.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Old 05-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Someone wired the pedistal incorrectly.Using the 30 amp plugs we all have are meant for 110 VAC only,with a neutral and a ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right that this kind of plug/socket is not meant to be wired for 230 volts.

It will work however but there is not a clean ground present in this kind of set up, since you only have three connections instead of four like on the 50 amp service. This is not an issue until you have a problem of some kind, where you have leakage or a short to the metal housing, of for instance a motor housing, or a inverter housing which being metal conducts and when you touch it, can complete the circuit to ground through your body.

This is why the Surge Guard also does not indicate any problems as it sees none.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote