Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need some assistance

Picking up a 1992 Adventurer pusher next week in Sacremento. Has not been on the road in 2 years, but my uncle maintained very well. Bringing it to cold Canada(Edmonton). In April I started it had to put a charger on the batteries and it started, but without the charger no way. I plan on buying new batteries. What should I buy? Do I need to change the oil and filter and what viscosity? The motor is a 190hp 5.9 from what I recall. I have had a 18 ft travel trailer and van but have not driven a 34' motor home and I am somewhat concened especially with crossing the mountains and possible snow this time of year. I want to winterize it in Sacremanto and stay in hotels on the way back to avoid any freezing issues. I don't even know where the drains are located but i am sure i will find them. My concerns are brakes, tire condition, engine fluids, batteries to get this unit home safely. Once here I wll have time to study, understand and maintain the various sysems. Any advice the members can provide to assist me and lower my anxiety would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Definitely get the oil changed. Also important would be fuel filters and air filters. Does it have hydraulic or air brakes? I would have the propane systems checked and the propane tank filled. Except for showers, you can live in the motorhome with jugs of water for drinking and flushing. Freezing shouldn't be a big problem in October. When we go south in January we use the toilet, but use RV antifreeze to flush.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks John, as far a I know it has disc brakes according to the brochure. Can I access all of the filters from below the engine? The motor is located under the rear bed with a large steel plate with many bolts over it. I called Winnegego and they suggested all the fluids are accessible with out getting into the top. How do I find out what filter size and oil type to use? Hard to provide much info when I am not there and have little to go on. Apreciate your comments
Old 10-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Welcome ... Tires ??

Welcome to the Winnebago motorhome brotherhood ...

Have you checked the DOT date stamp on your tires?

They may need to be replaced BEFORE you head home! It would seem to me that a 17 year old coach should probably be on it's third set of tires.

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I will check and replace if they are old or worn. Is the date stamp easy to understand or is manufacturer specific?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here is a link to the 1992 Winnebago Adventurer Brochure, it has an Oshkosh chassis with electric assist brakes.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

DOT date code

Article here ..

DOT Date Code

On motorhome tires the date code is in a slightly indented oval ....
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote