Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need location battery of shutoff solenoid - 05 Journey 34H

I just changed coach batteries and have no 12v to the coach - no lights, no indication of voltage at the info center but the inverter is working properly - charging the batteries and providing 110v to the coach. Suspect a problen with the battery shut off. Operating the switch on the dash does not provide power to the coach. I first want to check the solenoid that disconnects the batteries but do not know where its located. Also, any ideas of the problem? Planning a trip in a few days.
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

The battery isolator is normally located in the compartment in the front drivers side (bay) of the coach. Since you did not indicate what model/make of coach you own, this info is for a Monaco coach. The battery cut off switch itself is normally located inside the coach near the door.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Your battery disconnect solenoids are probably located in the front hood compartment behind a black metal plate on the firewall. There will be 4 latches on this panel and it will also contain various fuses and circuit breakers.
You can download the electrical diagrams for your coach from the manufacturers web site.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This wiring diagram shows where to find what you're looking for under the front hood: 2005 Journey 34H Front End Wiring Installation

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

On my 03 Journey there is what appears to be a fuse or fusiable link on the foreward wall next to the battery tray. I have not had a reason to check it out, but you might make sure that it was not damaged or blown in the process of changing out the batteries.

I assume that its purpose is to protect the feeder cable from the batteries to the shutoff solonoid in the previously mentioned front compartment.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Changing batteries and losing a solenoid at the same time is almost impossible. If you can't hear the solenoid engage from the front dash when you push the button, I suggest you go back and make double-triple sure you are wired as you think you should be before chasing or changing anything else.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowers View Post
I just changed coach batteries and have no 12v to the coach - no lights, no indication of voltage at the info center but the inverter is working properly - charging the batteries and providing 110v to the coach. Suspect a problen with the battery shut off. Operating the switch on the dash does not provide power to the coach. I first want to check the solenoid that disconnects the batteries but do not know where its located. Also, any ideas of the problem? Planning a trip in a few days.
Some batteries come with a plastic cover over the Positive terminal. It is very, very hard to see and is thin enough to allow the battery caable to be slipped over for connection. Of course, this cover is a near perfect insulator and keeps the batteries isolated!

Now, I will NOT allow anyone thes reflector to ask just how I, who has been in the electronics business for 50+ years and sport a BS-Physics, to know about this very, very subtle trap!

Sigh.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote