Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need Advice on Batteries '94 Brave RQ29

Hello,
I have a 94 Brave RQ29 and the batteries are no longer any good. I need to replace the 2 house batteries I guess they are called? There are 2 Interstate Workaholic 31-MHD CCA 950 RC 195 in it now but are very old. Are these good batteries or can anyone advise me on what I should replace them with?
Thanks
Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I installed 2 Trojan T-1275 deep cycle batteries. They are big so will have to figure out if these will fit. Here is the link. Trojan makes may sizes but stay with true deep cycle even if a different brand.
T-1275 Plus | Trojan Battery Company
Old 07-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Trojan

How much were they and how good have they been?
Thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I spent a lot of time looking for batteries. I do know all the options and these came out on top for the lowest cost with the most amp hours for my space. They have been perfect for me. I know several other people here have done the same thing. I paid $175 each from a local golf cart shop. Someday when lithium batteries drop a lot in price they will become top pick. Just not yet.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:09 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I spent a LOT of time trying to decide on batteries with a compressor refrigerator. I followed Tucsontoy's lead and went with the Trojan T-1275 batteries. They provided the amp hours needed, have good warranty and best of all...they are made in Georgia. I finally found a golf cart shop within 40 miles of home that sold them to me for $150 each. Two batteries + tax $330. I consider that a deal and a 5-7 year solution. Those batteries were delivered to the shop from the plant three days before I picked up mine, watched them take two off the pallet and put them in my trunk. The cost for these things is based on location. I believe manufacture is in California and Georgia. There are 5 plants in Georgia for the various batteries. I just kept looking and getting disgusted because they are made in my home state but could not BUY them here! The great golf cart shop was across the state line in Tennessee, not far from the Ocoee where I spent hundreds of long days in a kayak when younger - go figure.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
I installed 2 Trojan T-1275 deep cycle batteries. They are big so will have to figure out if these will fit. Here is the link. Trojan makes may sizes but stay with true deep cycle even if a different brand.
T-1275 Plus | Trojan Battery Company
So I was looking at these batteries and they are AMG and with my older Rv can I use these? I thought it took a special charger for these batteries? Please inform me
Thanks
Old 07-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

AGM batteries are good batteries. I have two platinum group 31 AGM's on my boat. I did those because they are sealed and I did not want any acid in my boat. These are expensive at $300 for 100 amp hours. That would be $900 to get 300 amp hours with AGM. I got that same 300 value for less than half of that with the Trojan's.

It is all up to how you want to use your RV. Plain car batteries work but not for long because of internal plate design. Check the weight. My battery is 85 pound vs a car battery at 30 pounds. You get what you pay for. The marine/rv's are around 50 pounds so they are a little better. If you got 10 years out of your last ones and you had enough power for the lights and refrigerator you have the option of getting the same thing. We are just passing along experience and advice.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If you are asking if the T-1275 batteries are AGM, they are not. These are deep cycle lead acid and any charger can charge them.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

If you are looking for AGM batteries, your best bet is Sams Club. They sell "Duracell" branded AGMs that are made by East Peen - a major manufacturer of batteries. I have had the 105 ampere-hour Group 31s in my coach for five plus years. They are maintenance free and charge faster than wet cells. Think they are $179 a piece.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlow View Post
Hello,
I have a 94 Brave RQ29 and the batteries are no longer any good. I need to replace the 2 house batteries I guess they are called? There are 2 Interstate Workaholic 31-MHD CCA 950 RC 195 in it now but are very old. Are these good batteries or can anyone advise me on what I should replace them with?
Thanks
If they will fit, a very popular option are the golf cart (GC) batteries that have been mentioned.

Trojan has a very good reputation. Crown does as well.

That said, many people just buy 2 GC batteries from Costco or Sam's. Other sources are the "battery warehouse" type places.

Your existing batteries are what are often referred to as "marine" batteries. Marine batteries are a compromise between a chassis starting battery and a deep-cycle battery.

GC batteries are optimized for deep cycle use and perform much better as coach batteries.

They are 6 volts each, and are connected in 'series' [neg(-) to pos (+)] to get 12 volts.

There is really no reason not to use GC batteries. The only potential issue is if they will fit in the factory battery box.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsontoy View Post
I spent a lot of time looking for batteries. I do know all the options and these came out on top for the lowest cost with the most amp hours for my space. They have been perfect for me. I know several other people here have done the same thing. I paid $175 each from a local golf cart shop. Someday when lithium batteries drop a lot in price they will become top pick. Just not yet.

Could you share the name and address of your vendor please?

Gene
17 View VV
Gene36542 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, batteries, brave