Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Navion tail light dysfunction

I have a 2014 Navion. Both tail running/stop light lower fixtures have been replaced because the bulb could not be removed due to melting in the socket. I now have another replacement fixture with the problem again. Obvious overheating of the socket or defective fixture.
Drbtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Be sure that the bulbs are the correct ones for the vehicle/fixture. If this RV was bought used, it's possible that a previous owner replaced the bulbs with a higher wattage (perhaps hoping for brighter lights).
Old 12-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Navion lights

The fixtures were original Winnebago and replacements were dealer.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
Dennis L

Bulbs will overheat if there is bad connection. Put vaseline on contacts. Prevents oxidation.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Di-electric grease might be a better choice.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

2014 View Marker lights melted

I have the same issue with my 2014 View. I had one rear marker light go out. The socket was melted around the bulb. After inspection it looks like all the other still working marker light fixtures are also melted. I’ve looked for replacement fixtures but haven’t found anything that matches. I hope that my brake/turn signal light fixtures are of better quality!
Robwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbtm View Post
I have a 2014 Navion. Both tail running/stop light lower fixtures have been replaced because the bulb could not be removed due to melting in the socket. I now have another replacement fixture with the problem again. Obvious overheating of the socket or defective fixture.
Had the same problem.
Replaced the bulbs with LEDs.
Problem solved (they do not produce Heat)
Yvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

How did you get the bulbs out without destroying the socket?
Robwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Been seeing several of the melted light socket posts lately. Is this a known problem to Winnebago?
Old 12-27-2018, 05:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwid View Post
How did you get the bulbs out without destroying the socket?
I actually had to break the bilan and
I bought new housings.

For AKEAGLE: yes the problem is known to Winnebago (recent models have different housings with LED lights.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

LED bulbs

It appears that the solution and cause of the melted socket is a bulb change. Any source or recommendation for LED bulb replacements? Are they generic in type to fit the socket and function?
Old 12-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Just look for LED bulbs with the same «*base*» pattern
Old 12-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Camping World carries a large variety of LED replacement bulb, but they tend to be pretty expensive. The interior of my 2016 Minnie Winne has factory LED lighting, but interestingly all the exterior lights appear to be incandescent. If I can find reasonably priced replacements that will be a project that climbs to the top of my to-do list.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

????? Are these the 'cat eye' type lights????? I've looked at a photo of a 2014 Navion and they look similar to the lights on our 2014 View. Our lights are LEDs. There's no 'bulb'... in these. Confused I am....

If there's a problem with 'melting' sockets and dysfunctional vehicle lighting and signaling systems, that's a problem that should be identified to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for evaluation and effective solution. Basically, if it's a problem that affects the safety of the vehicle or other other vehicles, NHTSA can rinvestigate and require WBGO to 'fix' the problem.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Bitching to WBGO doesn't do much although it's a first step to resolution. Reporting to NHTSA, gets WBGOs attention and they'll move more quickly for a complete resolution to the satisfaction of NHTSA. Always helpful to tell the mfgr (politely)... "Oh, bye the bye.... I've filed with NHTSA's Complaint line regarding your safety problem..... would you like me to email you a copy?"
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Di-electric grease might be a better choice.
That grease is an insulator. I use Anti-Oxidant Joint Compound on my plug and bulbs.
For the overheating lamp socket I would consider a LED replacement bulb. May be under engineered.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Camping World carries a large variety of LED replacement bulb, but they tend to be pretty expensive. The interior of my 2016 Minnie Winne has factory LED lighting, but interestingly all the exterior lights appear to be incandescent. If I can find reasonably priced replacements that will be a project that climbs to the top of my to-do list.
Bigger selection and better prices at Automotive chain stores (i.e.: Napa, Bumper-to-Bumper, AutoZone, etc.).

I also had LED conversion kits installed to replace the Low and High Beams on my Sprinter; pricy, but worth every penny.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I know this is a dead thread from over 3 yrs ago..........

but I wanted to add my 2 cents to help others.

Get the bulb type and number from your rv.............and simply search for similar one on Ebay. Make sure the ebay seller is in USA ( you can select all vendors from USA only ) ...........and many ship within 2 days..and you get it quickly.

I bought new headlight LEDs for only 15 dollars for many of my vehicles...and they are plug and play............easy install...and lasts longer than halogen, incandescent etc. They use less electricity.............

FOr interior bulbs ( like the RV ceiling lights....I ordered 10 LED light bulbs for only 12 dollars on Ebay............new ones... will last forever...adn use less from your house battery.
highender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light