Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Mystery Genset Start up...

I've owned this '02 Journey DSDP since February '16 and just had the Onan RV QD7500 genset start up automatically somehow. The mystery is why? How?

My owners manual doesn't give any info about autostart and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that circuitry.
The weather is good, has been for days. No rain.
The temps are moderate, in the 50F range at night, 80F daytime. Right now the outside temp is 72F.
There is no dash switch for 'Autostart Genset'. Only the regular start/stop switch.
I was alone inside the RV at my desk when it started and know for certain no one pressed any of the start switches.
If the 50 Amp connection had failed, I see no evidence of it now as it's live.

Only electrical thing that's happened recently is I installed a Progressive Ind. EMS-LCHW50. I'm skilled at electrical and it all went in fine, no glitches, absolutely wired correctly. Worked fine for two days. I just checked the read out for it, and it reads normal (not sure if it records power outages though).

Scratching my head.

Anyone else have this happen? Anyone have any ideas?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I think I figured out what happened. Wasn't so much of a mystery after all. Or at least I think.

I checked the genset compartment and noticed the large gap between the genset and front of the RV. Big enough for a beasty to easily crawl into.

Than I noticed my neighbors cat. Than I tried pressing on the genset mounted start switch. It doesn't take much at all. Could call it a soft start switch I guess.

So I think that's what happened. The neighbor's cat, who I've seen wandering under my RV in the past, was probably exploring and pressed on the start button. It would have been either standing on the genset, or getting ready to jump onto it. Must have scared away one of its nine lives.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You might also check the wiring connector for the control logic/start switch/etc. which I believe should be on the passenger side of the generator (as installed). Moisture in this plug has been known to cause auto-starts. Clean and re-connect with some dielectric grease.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Same thing happened to me. Came home to find the genset running. Finally figured out that the little "shelf" next to the rocker switch is a perfect resting place for a cat. It must have scared the heck out of the cat because there was fur left behind.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

OK I'll chime in! I woke up one night to some noise and thought some one was really rude for making at racket in the middle of the night. Finally got out of bed to kick some a%$ and saw the gen light on the dash was on. Ya the culprit was me, my generator was running. So you guys think it was a cat?? To this day it hasn't happened again and I really don't know what caused it to fire up. If it was a cat I hope it stopped running by now.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I think I figured out what happened. Wasn't so much of a mystery after all. Or at least I think.

I checked the genset compartment and noticed the large gap between the genset and front of the RV. Big enough for a beasty to easily crawl into.

Than I noticed my neighbors cat. Than I tried pressing on the genset mounted start switch. It doesn't take much at all. Could call it a soft start switch I guess.

So I think that's what happened. The neighbor's cat, who I've seen wandering under my RV in the past, was probably exploring and pressed on the start button. It would have been either standing on the genset, or getting ready to jump onto it. Must have scared away one of its nine lives.
I'd be curious if that car ever comes back around your RV.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'd be curious if that car ever comes back around your RV.
I hope it does, Arch. Nothing better than a cat around to keep vermin from nibbling your wiring and laying on switches.

What I have done now, is jamb a toothpick under the outside start switch so that can't happen again. If it mysteriously starts again, I'll dig deeper, into the wiring and switches and such.

Thanks all.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

This has happened to me also. Several times. One thing for certain is that it is not a cat or other animal. Most of the time it happens while I am driving down the road.
Mike In NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Several years ago mine started in the middle of the night - moisture in the connector to the passenger side of the generator. Cleaned, dried etc and no further problem.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
This has happened to me also. Several times. One thing for certain is that it is not a cat or other animal. Most of the time it happens while I am driving down the road.
Thanks a lot, MIKE.

I thought I had it solved. And you throw a wrench into the works. Jeese.