Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Mystery DIN connector

I'm in the process of pulling out the old CRT type TV in my 2001 30 ft Brave, and replacing it wiith a new LCD TV.

After I got the old TV out, looking around inside the top front cab area behind the drivers side overhead cabinet, I found a cable with a 5 pin DIN plug type connecter that doesn't have any place to plug into. It goes towards the back of the rig from there.

Obviously this cable is for an option that I do not have. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea where this cable goes to, or what the option is that I do not have. I do know that some Winnebagos have the backup camera monitor that hangs down from underneath where the TV is mounted, but mine has that monitor on the dash to the left of the driver, and looks like an aftermarket installation. I thought it might be for that monitor, but when I look at the wiring diagram, that appears to be a 3 conductor molex type of connector, and I think I found that one also.

Could it be that this cable goes all the way to the back of the coach? I'm just thinking that I might be able to use it for something, and I just thought I'd be lazy and ask here before I start pulling off panels just to find out where this cable goes. So if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Maybe you can post a photo of it to help the gang solve your question...
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I would recommend that you go to Winne's website and look up the drawings for your unit. The Body wiring diagram would have it. All wires are labeled on the wire, read the wire names and find on schematic. You can download these along with so many others that you will have a complete reference library for your unit.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Maybe it is for a back up camera. Do you have one now?
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

ON a guess... THe rig was wired for a "Home Theater" system. that cable may well be audio out from an alternative TV to the home theater receiver/Amplifier/Whatever

IT might also be S-Video to the receiver, though that is usually a 4 pin, the original S-video connectors also carried audio and were indeed 5 pin connectors.. The "Standard" came out later.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Does it look kind of like this? If so.. it could hook up to a CD Changer...but more than likely..whatever you have is for a back-up camera...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2693 (Medium).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1359  
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi Dmiles,

Best guess is the control cable from a DSS automatic controller to the motorized DSS Antenna. This is the link to the schematic but I can’t verify the end on the cable or number of wires. I know it used stepper motors for movement but I’m not sure of how the position feedback was achieved. Zero switches seems most likely but then 5 wires wouldn’t be enough.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2001/134841.pdf Page 13 Control wires to Automatic Dish

The only other possibility is as you guessed, the cable to the camera, but again; I can’t verify the number of wires or the connector type. It would appear that this camera system is no longer in production and I can’t find a schematic for it. I think a company named VideoMan sold it and the model is JSC-701. If you can find a schematic for it, you should be able to confirm or rule out this option.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2001/129584.pdf Page 3 Rear View Monitor Wire Prep

My money is on the DSS cable, which was option 78K. I believe a lot of the pre-wiring like this one is routinely installed because adding these wires and cables after the fact would be extremely difficult. If you can get into the connector to see if there is at least one coaxial cable, then it is probably for the camera wiring prep option 1H4.