Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My first time using the Heat Pump

I recently went on a trip utilizing my 04 Adventurer heat pump. During the day daytime hours it worked great with the outside temperature being around 50 however one night with the temperature around 35-38 I could hear the heat pump (or maybe just blower) start and then in one or two minutes shut off and in addition the coach was not being heated? Later that day I noticed a water build up under the basement unit? My questions are 1 - Does the heat Pump produce water and 2 - Why would my heat pump stop functioning? One other point ,later that day when the temperature warmed up a little the Heat Pump worked again.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdweldon View Post
I recently went on a trip utilizing my 04 Adventurer heat pump. During the day daytime hours it worked great with the outside temperature being around 50 however one night with the temperature around 35-38 I could hear the heat pump (or maybe just blower) start and then in one or two minutes shut off and in addition the coach was not being heated? Later that day I noticed a water build up under the basement unit? My questions are 1 - Does the heat Pump produce water and 2 - Why would my heat pump stop functioning? One other point ,later that day when the temperature warmed up a little the Heat Pump worked again.
Heat pumps do produce water .... just like when using the A/C. They also only work down to 30-35 degrees depending on manufacturer and individual units. Mine work to about 33 degrees. I typically supplement my heatpumps with an electric quartz heater on the floor.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Your outdoor coil thermister got cold enough to shut down the system. Probably due to frost. The water was from this frost as it melted off.

Also, when the unit shuts down for this reason, the lp furnace is activated, but will default to on at 45 deg and off at 60 deg, regardless of what you have the set point at. Switching tstat to gas will regulate temp at your set point.

When I had a basement unit I would switch to gas before bed if I thought my unit would freeze up.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I never use the heat pump below 40F.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't know what year Winnebago started using a system where both heat pump and gas furnace would come on. I have a 2008 Winnebago. If it gets to cold for the heat pump the gas furnace comes on and once up to "heat pump temperature," the furnace will kick of and the heat pump takes over. Could it be that the 2004 is supposed to do the same thing but something electronically is not working the way it should?

Give Winnebago a call and have our serial number available. The call is free and the worse you can get for an answer is "No."

Yes, I also will have water under the AC/Heat Pump. The heat pump sucks out humidity just like the AC does and leaves a puddle, most of the time.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My 2 cents. If 5 degrees difference in inside coach temp exists Heat Pump will defer to gas furnace. Meaning your inside temp is 62 and you set the thermostat to 70 on heat pump the system defers to the gas furnace until the temp comes up to close to a 5 degree difference! An like others said outside temps of 40 you need to be using the gas furnace & electric floor heaters.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

When the unit is in electric heat mode, there are two ways the gas furnace will be energized.

The first is when the heat provided by the unit cannot keep up with the heat loss of the coach, and this is handled by the tstat. When the coach temp falls several degrees lower than the set temp the gas furnace is turned on. If this happens 3 times in a set period of time, the tstat will lock out the heatpump for a set period of time, and use the gas furnace only. After the lockout period of time this cycle will repeat itself.

The second way is the one I outlined in my previous post. The outdoor coil thermister measures the coil temp, and will open to protect the unit from damage. It will not close again until the coil temp rises above the thermisters set limit. In this instance, the tstat goes into a default gas furnace mode, and remains in this mode until the thermister closes. In this mode, changing your set temp on the tstat has no effect on the gas furnace.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I don't know what year Winnebago started using a system where both heat pump and gas furnace would come on. I have a 2008 Winnebago. If it gets to cold for the heat pump the gas furnace comes on and once up to "heat pump temperature," the furnace will kick of and the heat pump takes over. Could it be that the 2004 is supposed to do the same thing but something electronically is not working the way it should?

Give Winnebago a call and have our serial number available. The call is free and the worse you can get for an answer is "No."

Yes, I also will have water under the AC/Heat Pump. The heat pump sucks out humidity just like the AC does and leaves a puddle, most of the time.
The heat pump IS the air conditioner. The only difference is that when in "heat' mode there's a switching valve that reverses the flow of Freon through the system. The outdoor set of coils that was the condenser in the cooling mode now becomes the evaporator. The inside set of coils that was the evaporator now becomes the condenser.

In other words the heat that was expelled outside when in the AC mode is now being blown into the passenger compartment. The cool air that was blown into the passenger compartment is now expelled outside.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The heat pump IS the air conditioner. The only difference is that when in "heat' mode there's a switching valve that reverses the flow of Freon through the system. The outdoor set of coils that was the condenser in the cooling mode now becomes the evaporator. The inside set of coils that was the evaporator now becomes the condenser.

In other words the heat that was expelled outside when in the AC mode is now being blown into the passenger compartment. The cool air that was blown into the passenger compartment is now expelled outside.
..and that leads to water on the ground. Right?

Yes, I know it is all one unit. Thanks for the working information though.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M;3441641[B
]..and that leads to water on the ground. Right?
[/B]
Yes, I know it is all one unit. Thanks for the working information though.
Yes, both sets of coils are in the basement AC box. When in cooling mode the water drips from one set. In heat mode it drips from the other.

Just a note of caution, Winnebago recommends cleaning the condenser coils (those you can see through the louvered panel on the rear of the passengers side) "once or twice per season". The louvered panel is hinged at the top and will swing upward when 2 screws on tabs on the lower edge are removed.

The reason I mention this is that there were a couple posts a while ago about AC units being destroyed because the coils were plugged with leaves and trash. The poster was upset at Winnebago because they claimed there was no maintenance procedure in the manual to cover it.

The procedure is mentioned on page 8-15 of the owners manual. If you didn't get the owners manual with your coach here's a link to the online one at the Winnebago website:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...Adventurer.pdf

Tags
heat, heat pump