Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I would like to expand the battery capacity of my 2005 Adventurer 33V by replacing my 2 OEM 12V coach batteries with 4 Trojan T-105's. It appears they MIGHT fit in my current battery box under the step, but it is very close (i.e tight). I've read some other posts about people doing this, but there are no pictures of how the batteries fit. Could someone post pictures of how this is done. I'd hate to buy the batteries and not have them fit.

Thank you.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would like to expand the battery capacity of my 2005 Adventurer 33V by replacing my 2 OEM 12V coach batteries with 4 Trojan T-105's. It appears they MIGHT fit in my current battery box under the step, but it is very close (i.e tight). I've read some other posts about people doing this, but there are no pictures of how the batteries fit. Could someone post pictures of how this is done. I'd hate to buy the batteries and not have them fit.

Thank you.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Be sure to measure the height of the batteries and your storage compartment before purchasing the batteries, I've heard of some people who only measured the length and width of the compartment and the batteries only to find after purchasing them that the lid of the storage compartment(in most cases this is one of your steps ) could not be shut because the batteries were too tall. Six volt batteries tend to be taller than 12 volt batteries. You can lower the bottom of the compartment if needed to make room for the taller batteries but it's another step and expense to consider. Good luck with your project!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

On my Sightseer I did the following. If you stand outside your coach and remove the step cover. The batteries are mounnted perpindicular to you (I call that vertical). I removed the hold downs to all three batteries. Moved the motor battery as far forward as it will go. The 4 6 volts then mounted horizontal. Two go end to end between the back wall and the motor battery. Then two more parralel to the first row. Mine fit snug enough that they don't move. I had no height problems. I had the local battery shop make me cross tie cables. I will try to make a drawing or picture. Ron
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I've done that & it is a tight fit. Make sure you get a trojan battery carrier, or you will have a very hard time getting them in. Recently realized the outer rearmost battery was keeping the step from going in all the way. Simple fix, put 1" of plywood under 3/4 of the length of the offending battery. I placed my chassis battery as far forward as possible. If I had it to do over again I would place it in the middle of the 6 volts, so I wouldn't have had to setup a new ground. On second thought I guess I would have to use 1" of plywood under both outboard batteries to give step clearance. Somewhere 2-3 years ago there were pictures on this forum. I didn't (still don't) know how to post it so I emailed it to someone on this forum, but don't remember who. I no longer have this pic, but maybe this weekend I'll take time out from painting my 59 year old Ford 8N tractor & email a pic to you.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Do a search for batteries or trojan batteries or anything similar a couple of years ago there was a picture of 4 105"s in a standard battery box. I believe they were turned sideways, but they fit. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

From user Dawg's gallery here at irv2.com

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2004 Brave which should have the same basic battery configuration as your Adventurer. I made a frame and moved the engine battery under the coach and mounted it to the inside of the frame rail and resting on the bar that makes up the driveshaft safety bar. I was then able to get four 6 volt batteries in the box under the steps. It is a tight fit and I had to make some minor changes to be able to add bolts to hold the batteries down.
The other thing I might add is that after adding the new batteries I found that they were offgasing much more than the old set. I added the corrosion rings on all of the terminals and added mineral oil to the batteries to keep the offgasing down.

2004 Brave 32V
scubadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well I guess I can put all my time to use painting that old Ford 8N tractor tomorrow, cause that's the picture of my batteries.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Fred, if I remember right you posted that picture bout 3/4 years ago. I had a 99 35c at the time and saved the picture for a while, but can't remember where I filed it.

Had a 8n at one time, used to stand between the wheels to start it, accidently knocked it into gear and the darn thing ran over my legs with the rear wheel. Hurt, but otherwise couldn't stop laughing. Had to jump up and cut the key off so it wouldn't hit a building...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I saved that photo for future use, since I don't always remember things. Well at least the wife says I don't always remember things correctly.
Thanks for the photo...
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gene Rondenet:

Thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's what I did on my 1999 37G
http://www.bobhatch.com/mhPages/golfCartBatteries.htm
Old 06-17-2006, 05:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ichn2go </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a go round with that old 8N about 3 years ago, I was standing on the running board & ooching it back when I slipped off. I thought, well it ain't going nowhere but into the bank behind it. It turned ran into my sailboat, punched a hole in it & was heading towards the MH before I caught up with it. I wasted my time painting it today. The red looks like a flourescent color. Back to TSC tomorrow & get a different brand of paint & start in again. Oh well 2 coats are better than one anyhow. Glad to know I'm not the only one that has a jealous 8N.