Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Motor Aid for water heater

I was researching the cause of heat in the area of the water heater. Kitchen cabnets and passenger seat gets pretty warm from the water heater while going down the road. Water heater is off (both gas and elec). I noticed in a comment "Motor Aid on our coaches the water is kept hot while driving". Is there a way to turn it off? Or, is there a better way to vent it away from the living space?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The "motoraid" feature uses the engine coolant through heat exchangers to heat the water in the hot water heater and for a "heater" in the cabin of your coach.

I do not have the same coach, but had a '99 adventurer, and there was a heater in the bedroom area that provided heat to the coach ... I think if you check your switches you will find a switch that controls the fan to that unit. I think you have the fan turned ON.

I doubt if you are getting heat from the hot water heater in the coach.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Agreed. I believe the motor aid keeps the water at about 120 degrees or so. Wouldn't think the water heater would leak that much heat into the coach but possible depending on location. We have an 04 Sightseer with that option but our water heater is in the right rear so never have noticed. We have the heater under the bed and when the fan switch on the dash is turned on (Auxilary heat I believe)we have kept the coach at a pleasant 70 degrees even in single digit temps-really do like that option
Old 11-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The Motoraid feature consists of a heating coil bonded to the rear or side of the water heater tank. Engine coolant flows through this coil, heats the water near to the same temperature as the coolant. If you desire to control this feature, you might install a shut-off valve in the line entering the coil. Depending on your configuration, it might also cut-off cabin heater operation.
The heat transfer coil is not inside the water heater, that would be unsafe; for if it were to leak it would introduce engine anti-freeze into your fresh water system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Cut off valve seems to be the answer

Ray, You nailed it. My unit is a 2006. After researching MotorAid genericly on the web. Discovered that seems to be the case. I have the "Cabin Heater" Switch on my dash. It is turned off and testing confirms it controls a fan. Low is for the front of the cabin. Hi turns an additional heater on in the rear of the cabin. Problem is when traveling down the highway the kitchen counter area gets hot, and there are cupboards and drawers that can't be used for food storage as they get so hot. I'm going to explore some way to get the heat to vent better. There is a grate behind the passenger seat but I don't want the heat coming out there either (unless it's too cold). The whole setup at the moment is anti-Air Conditioning for living in the deep south west.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Pics of the kitchen area.

A couple of pics. The water heater is underneath the counter just behind the passenger seat. "Cabin Heater" switch is on the center console panel.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbezemek View Post
A couple of pics. The water heater is underneath the counter just behind the passenger seat. "Cabin Heater" switch is on the center console panel.
Like you, I suspect the Motor-aid feature is putting heat into your coach and MAY be not heating only the water, as it was intended to do.

IF you are SURE that the heat isn't coming from the cabin heater vent-it is "usually" right behind the co-pilot's seat- then you may need to add some fiberglass batt-type insulation (or other of your choice) around the water heater compartment.

Good luck, and please let us know how you fix the problem.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

In addition to the heating coils on the water heater the Motor Aid option on the Adventurer/Suncruiser also includes a separate heater with a fan under the floor of the coach just behind the engine compartment. The heater is also warmed using engine coolant. There is a switch on the dash to control the fan. The coolant itself can't be shut off unless you install a valve.

We had this option on our 2001 Adventurer and it came as standard equipment on our 2013 Adventurer. For our 2001 Adventurer we went to Home Depot and purchased a couple registers that could be shut off. Our 2013 Adventurer came with registers that could be shut off.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

wbezemek, have you opened to outside compartment door at the water heater after driving to see how much heat is there?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The Motoraid feature consists of a heating coil bonded to the rear or side of the water heater tank. Engine coolant flows through this coil, heats the water near to the same temperature as the coolant. If you desire to control this feature, you might install a shut-off valve in the line entering the coil. Depending on your configuration, it might also cut-off cabin heater operation.
The heat transfer coil is not inside the water heater, that would be unsafe; for if it were to leak it would introduce engine anti-freeze into your fresh water system.
It looked like the coil was inside my tank on my old Sightseer and I don't think it is a safety issue, my boiler anti-freeze runs through coils in my hot water tank at home.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Back of my father-in-law's 2008 Navion:

Hardly a "heat exchanger" or "coil".

As for this being the source of extra heat. Could be, the basement compartment next to my water heater gets hot enough to warp thin plastic (bike helmet covering).

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I cannot tell if you have a check valve on this system, but since you have access to it, consider changing the valve(s).
My system had difficult access to the back of the heater, so I was able to cut a hole in the floor of the cabinet that houses the water heater with my sazall, and installed a cover. I had a leaky hose later and it sure saved me time and aggravation. Good luck!

Tags
heater, water, water heater