Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #41
iRV2 Marketing

I just used my $40 card on the following equipment, Magnavox TB100MW9. I obtained it at Wal*Mart for $49.95.

Option #1 connect the converter in between the output of the switch center to the input on the TV.

Option #2 is to connect the Batwing into the input of the box and the output to the ANT input on the switch box.

I haven't read the manual yet. Does it show?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

The main problem as pointed out above is remote use from the bedroom, you would have to go to the front of the motorhome to change channels. Also, if the converter doesn't have analog pass-thru, you won't be able to view the VCR/DVD or Satellite receiver from the bedroom.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #43

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I haven't read the manual yet. Does it show? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It does!
You cannot use option #2 as the antenna requires that 12V power be sent to the antenna and the converter would block that.

Hello forum operator, is there any kind of a sticky option where folks could post the do's and don't's of (whatever) so the same questions don't have to be addressed over and over again?
If not sticky, how about a moderator only topic for reference material or something.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #44
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Hilley:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And a comment...I DONT CARE ABOUT RECEIVING ANALOG SIGNALS from the small stations when the big ones go to Digital...who cares about watching the Home shopping or whatever.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What appears not to be understood is what analog stations will remain that RVers might be interested in. You need Analog Pass-Thru to continue to receive stations that use UHF repeaters outside of their metropolitan area. These are network stations that put repeaters where their main antenna can't cover because of distance or obstructions. In other words where most people camp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I tried to point that out yesterday and got some interesting patronizing comments. Outside the metro areas the analog LP's and translators will continue to rule. I now have two prototype STB's in my office with the promise of a real Gen/6 chipset (the really good stuff) converter for evaluation "asap", whatever that means. I'm curious what the pass-through loss is on the box.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #45
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Davis:
Frank, could you provide more info on the 2 way splitter with one leg power pass? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are available on the internet, often termed as "diplexers" for as little as 3 or 4 dollars. Radio Shack has them in their catalog and some stores carry them but their price the last time I checked was close to $20.
I saw them at Lowes a few weeks ago for under $10 as I recall. They were next to the regular splitters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this not the thing that is needed? It is only $0.89 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup that's it and it's the cheapest one I have seen.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:02 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FlyingDiver:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Davis:
Frank, could you provide more info on the 2 way splitter with one leg power pass? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are available on the internet, often termed as "diplexers" for as little as 3 or 4 dollars. Radio Shack has them in their catalog and some stores carry them but their price the last time I checked was close to $20.
I saw them at Lowes a few weeks ago for under $10 as I recall. They were next to the regular splitters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Diplexers are something else. They're used to combine/split signals with different frequency ranges, specifically satellite and OTA signals. That's for when you have an OTA antenna and an Sat dish, and you combine the downlink to save a cable going to the TV/receiver area. Probably not too many RV applications would use one.

joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said they are often termed diplexers - see this SITE

I use one to allow the use of one cable from the service bay for either TV cable in or external dish in. They have more uses than combining signals of different frequencies.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #47
Winnebago Camper

I use one to allow the use of one cable from the service bay for either TV cable in or external dish in. They have more uses than combining signals of different frequencies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That IS a diplexer. You're using it to put cable frequency signals and sat frequency signals on the same wire. It's not a splitter with power pass from one leg, which is what the original post was about (OP on page 2 of this thread, your reply on page 3). The two are not the same.

joe
Old 06-03-2008, 07:48 AM   #48
Winnebago Master

I think there is a lot of confusion in placement of the converter with the powered batwing antennas. I think it stems from different options for powering the antenna. Some are powered from a wall plate with a switch for on and off and a power on indicator. It is ok to install the converter any place down the line from this plate as there is no power on the antenna out F connector. This type of antenna power is used with a passive switch box, mine is a Magnadyne. Some installations use a powered switch, probably Winegard, to provide power to the antenna and with this type of switch you cannot put the converter in the lead going from the switch to the antenna. In the powered switch application the converter should be inserted between the switch box and TV. I don't see how a diplexer or power passing splitter would be of any value in this type of installation.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:58 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FlyingDiver:

I use one to allow the use of one cable from the service bay for either TV cable in or external dish in. They have more uses than combining signals of different frequencies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That IS a diplexer. You're using it to put cable frequency signals and sat frequency signals on the same wire. It's not a splitter with power pass from one leg, which is what the original post was about (OP on page 2 of this thread, your reply on page 3). The two are not the same.

joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you look closely at the picture you will see that it has a dc power pass.
I did not combine the signals in the storage bay. I connected either the TV cable OR the external dish, not both. With the external dish connected the dc power pass allowed the voltage the LNB requires to pass.

Please note that I was not recommending the use of a diplexer I was answering a question about where a satellite splitter could be obtained by pointing out that they are often termed diplexers.The way I connected the RCA diplexer I bought is shown below.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #50
Winnebago Camper

If you look closely at the picture you will see that it has a dc power pass.
I did not combine the signals in the storage bay. I connected either the TV cable OR the external dish, not both. With the external dish connected the dc power pass allowed the voltage the LNB requires to pass.

Please note that I was not recommending the use of a diplexer I was answering a question about where a satellite splitter could be obtained by pointing out that they are often termed diplexers.The way I connected the RCA diplexer I bought is shown below.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sheesh. This is getting ridiculous. You're using the diplexer correctly, as far as I can tell. You're combining sat signals and cable signals onto one cable, and "splitting" them back out in your coach. Fine. We all get that.

All I was pointing out was that in a previous response, you said that a standard RF splitter with DC power pass was often referred to as a diplexer. It's not. They are DIFFERENT. THIS is a splitter. THIS is a diplexer.

I'm done beating this horse.

joe
Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #51
Winnie-Wise

I used the first set of plans to set up our Convyter. In our Aspect there is not wall to worry about.

I had to add a video switch box anyway. AS Winnebago never did.

As for some owner's. It may be just as easy to update your TV to a DTV.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #52
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
Hello forum operator, is there any kind of a sticky option where folks could post the do's and don't's of (whatever) so the same questions don't have to be addressed over and over again?
If not sticky, how about a moderator only topic for reference material or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill, I sense your frustration. We can do a lot to manage this and other topics. But no matter what I do, anyone can start a new thread on the same subject that could run for pages like this one.

We need to get members to use the "FIND" function which would search for all of the answers.

I will be closing this topic in a few days and I will try to collect and edit the "good" info into a stcky on the subject.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #53
GG1
Winnie-Wise

THATS IT!!!! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH. Di plexers, tri plexers, A B over and unders, flux capicitors, high speed muffler bearings. Screw it all if it I can't get satellite I will watch old movies on the vcr. Lets move on to another subject!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #54

Sorry, I did not mean to seem frustrated, just trying to offer a suggestion. I post to the Datastorm Users forum and there is no "sticky" option so Don added a top topic that included reference material. Because the DSU forum is much narrower than the topics discussed here this may not be practical but I brought it up as a possibility as it has worked quite well over there.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #55

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">THATS IT!!!! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH. Di plexers, tri plexers, A B over and unders, flux capicitors, high speed muffler bearings. Screw it all if it I can't get satellite I will watch old movies on the vcr. Lets move on to another subject! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel your pain, brother! Hopefully, you just forgot to add that smiley face at the end of your post! It's easier than some are implying here. I prefer the simple approach and others prefer the most technical approach.
If you can't figure it all out, maybe you will go to an RV rally somewhere and have a dealer set your system up for you. Maybe you just use this a the ultimate excuse to install an HDTV. That's what I ended up doing and it was the best thing I have ever done for my coach. Since it is unlikely that I would ever pay for HD programming via satellite, I can now get it all for free over-the-air.
Some folks don't understand that just installing a converter will NOT get you HD programming. That is a requirement of the TV. The converter will get you the digital TV signal, convert it to analog and allow you to watch it on your non-HDTV.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #56
Winnebago Master

There's more confusion in this subject thread than there is on Father's Day in south central LA!!
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #57
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
One thing I only recently determined is there will in fact be analog broadcasts for some time from the UHF repeaters and other low-power stations, at least for a while. The DTV edict does not cover these and the guideline recommends (and only recommends) they be converted by 2011.

Being RV'ers we would tend to encounter these UHF translators on occasion. As such you need to be sure to get a converter box with analog pass-through (not all have this) or add a A/B RF cable box between the antenna and the converter and TV if you want to receive these stations.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #58
Winnebago Owner

Upon further review and advice from fellow mods, I have determined that trying to prepare a "sticky" would be like writing a paper for a doctorate degree at Harvard

So I have decided to let this thread run its course and members can just sort through the info to figure out what to do.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #59
Winnebago Master

Close this thread February 17, 2009.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #60

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GG1:
THATS IT!!!! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH. Di plexers, tri plexers, A B over and unders, flux capicitors, high speed muffler bearings. Screw it all if it I can't get satellite I will watch old movies on the vcr. Lets move on to another subject! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a GREAT post, and is EXACTLY how I feel....I have two brand new Winegard Converter boxes in my storage compartment....WAITING UNTIL NEXT SPRING FOR INSTALLATION!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote