Old 06-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bill, you also need to point out that the standard VHF-UHF antennas on the RVs will work fine with the DTV. No need to go out ans spend $$$$ on a special HD antenna. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just did and you are absolutely correct! As a matter of fact I now often get a better digital picture with my batwing stowed than I did with analog and the batwing up!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
Sorry for missing any details. My post was designed to clear up the confusion over the change over and not muddy it further. What needs to be known is that by 2/17/2009 if you are an RVer and want to watch over-the-air TV programming you are going to need to take some kind of action to ensure this option remains available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not trying to muddy it up, but to be clear once more, the Feb, 2009 cutoff is for full power analog stations only. There are thousands of other transmitters out there that are unaffected and will remain analog, which as you know is the reason for the big search for pass-through converters.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #17

OK, if you say so, but since a simple A/B switch (or cable move) can move your system from analog to digital I don't think there's too much concern over what is and what is not.
The reality is that by 2/2009 you are going to NEED a converter or a digital TV in your coach.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

This is one more way to hook upa converter box.
Simpler than using VCR Hook up- To see DTV with this hook up you must turn on VCR, set VCR Mode,Set to TV Mode and tune to ch3 and now set the TV to ch3

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #19

Frank, could you provide more info on the 2 way splitter with one leg power pass? Thanks.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank (Wires) & Jean:
This is one more way to hook upa converter box.
Simpler than using VCR Hook up- To see DTV with this hook up you must turn on VCR, set VCR Mode,Set to TV Mode and tune to ch3 and now set the TV to ch3
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This looks pretty straight-forward, especially for those of us who have no VCR or DVD player. My front TV will be digital ready but not sure about the rear TV. Your set-up can feed the signal from the converter to the rear TV if the selector switch for TV-2 is set on AUX...correct?

However, I'm guessing the converter has it's own remote for changing channels so would you not need to have the converter in the rear of the coach for use with the rear TV?

Bottom line, how do you make this work for the second (bedroom) TV?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #21
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Why not just get access to the rear of each tv and hook up each box in line to the tv at the rear and mount the box where you can control it with the converter remote?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #22

If there is room, this is the most obvious installation. However, if you still want to be able to use the Video Control Center and watch satellite, DVD/VHS or cable then you will lose this ability unless you either ensure that your converter will allow analog pass or add an A/B switch to pass the VCC signal.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Davis:
Frank, could you provide more info on the 2 way splitter with one leg power pass? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are available on the internet, often termed as "diplexers" for as little as 3 or 4 dollars. Radio Shack has them in their catalog and some stores carry them but their price the last time I checked was close to $20.
I saw them at Lowes a few weeks ago for under $10 as I recall. They were next to the regular splitters.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank (Wires) & Jean:
This is one more way to hook up a converter box.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have the kind of switch box you show so I didn't use that sort of set-up and for those like me that don't have the switch box, I don't have to go through the procedure you mentioned above.
When my VCR is off, the TV signal is a pass through to the TV and all I have to do is turn the TV on and tune it to channel 3 or 4 - mine is set for 3.

I would have used the RCA audio/video connections from the converter box but I don't have an empty input on the Sony amp/receiver/video switcher I use to switch the signals.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Davis:
Frank, could you provide more info on the 2 way splitter with one leg power pass? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are available on the internet, often termed as "diplexers" for as little as 3 or 4 dollars. Radio Shack has them in their catalog and some stores carry them but their price the last time I checked was close to $20.
I saw them at Lowes a few weeks ago for under $10 as I recall. They were next to the regular splitters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this not the thing that is needed? It is only $0.89
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:

Is this not the thing that is needed? It is only $0.89 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's exactly what you need.

joe
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:

I saw them at Lowes a few weeks ago for under $10 as I recall. They were next to the regular splitters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Diplexers are something else. They're used to combine/split signals with different frequency ranges, specifically satellite and OTA signals. That's for when you have an OTA antenna and an Sat dish, and you combine the downlink to save a cable going to the TV/receiver area. Probably not too many RV applications would use one.

joe
Old 06-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #28
GG1
Winnie-Wise

To Bill Adams,
Thanks for the info I did leave off the A B switch part on the previous post, thats what I intent to do. Seems a lot easier than rewireing the whole schmeer.