Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #21
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Why not just get access to the rear of each tv and hook up each box in line to the tv at the rear and mount the box where you can control it with the converter remote?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #22

If there is room, this is the most obvious installation. However, if you still want to be able to use the Video Control Center and watch satellite, DVD/VHS or cable then you will lose this ability unless you either ensure that your converter will allow analog pass or add an A/B switch to pass the VCC signal.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Davis:
Frank, could you provide more info on the 2 way splitter with one leg power pass? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are available on the internet, often termed as "diplexers" for as little as 3 or 4 dollars. Radio Shack has them in their catalog and some stores carry them but their price the last time I checked was close to $20.
I saw them at Lowes a few weeks ago for under $10 as I recall. They were next to the regular splitters.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank (Wires) & Jean:
This is one more way to hook up a converter box.
Simpler than using VCR Hook up- To see DTV with this hook up you must turn on VCR, set VCR Mode,Set to TV Mode and tune to ch3 and now set the TV to ch3
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have the kind of switch box you show so I didn't use that sort of set-up and for those like me that don't have the switch box, I don't have to go through the procedure you mentioned above.
When my VCR is off, the TV signal is a pass through to the TV and all I have to do is turn the TV on and tune it to channel 3 or 4 - mine is set for 3.

I would have used the RCA audio/video connections from the converter box but I don't have an empty input on the Sony amp/receiver/video switcher I use to switch the signals.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Davis:
Frank, could you provide more info on the 2 way splitter with one leg power pass? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are available on the internet, often termed as "diplexers" for as little as 3 or 4 dollars. Radio Shack has them in their catalog and some stores carry them but their price the last time I checked was close to $20.
I saw them at Lowes a few weeks ago for under $10 as I recall. They were next to the regular splitters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this not the thing that is needed? It is only $0.89
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:

Is this not the thing that is needed? It is only $0.89 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's exactly what you need.

joe
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:

I saw them at Lowes a few weeks ago for under $10 as I recall. They were next to the regular splitters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Diplexers are something else. They're used to combine/split signals with different frequency ranges, specifically satellite and OTA signals. That's for when you have an OTA antenna and an Sat dish, and you combine the downlink to save a cable going to the TV/receiver area. Probably not too many RV applications would use one.

joe
Old 06-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #28
GG1
Winnie-Wise

To Bill Adams,
Thanks for the info I did leave off the A B switch part on the previous post, thats what I intent to do. Seems a lot easier than rewireing the whole schmeer.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #29

It does to me as well but this may not be an option for everyone.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Now you guys have me even more confused. There is only one coax coming from the AV switch box to the rear TV. If I install the digital converter on that coax at the rear TV, how will that affect the other signals I might want to send to the TV (Sat, cable). Also, where do you install the diplexer in this scenario (front TV digital broadcast ready, rear TV not)?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #31

smlranger,
In this scenario there is no power pass splitter needed. You would install and A/B switch at the rear TV where you connect the converter and A would send the signal through the converter and B would send the signal direct to the TV. If you buy a converter that has an analog pass through even this is not necessary. When you turn the converter off you will get whatever the video control center is set to. Turn the converter on and it will handle your digital TV signal.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

I'm going to make it easy and right. Wineguard has the box and I will buy there's and have it installed either at camping World or my itasca dealer. No hassle - no mistakes!!

See the Wineguard site.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #33

That might not be easy or right for many users. I do hope it works for you, but if it does not pass the analog signal it is definitely NOT right for many, many users.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

I tried looking at the info on the Winegard site. Nothing about pass through at all. Maybe it does when it's turned off, and maybe it doesn't. Glad I don't have to deal with this issue.

joe
Old 06-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #35

According to the gentlemen that posts here from Winegard, their converter does NOT pass the analog signal. It is my understanding that they are coming out with (or now have) a converter that will pass the analog signal.
It's important to understand that their was really no reason that a home user (the folks that the Government coupon program was aimed at) would need to have a converter that passed an analog signal. The converter was designed ONLY to take the new digital over-the-air signal and make it work on an analog TV. Anything more than that was not originally seen as necessary. The later versions of the converters (whether covered by the coupon or not) are being built with the analog pass. BEFORE YOU BUY A CONVERTER, BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR NEEDS ARE AND BUY THE RIGHT ONE, NOT NECESSARILY THE CHEAP ONE.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
BEFORE YOU BUY A CONVERTER, BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR NEEDS ARE AND BUY THE RIGHT ONE, NOT NECESSARILY THE CHEAP ONE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Now you tell me
Ok, so I have two analog tv's in the coach. I also bought two digital boxes but they arent pass thru as far as I can tell. I have the video switching box similar to the one Frank (wires)shows. I also have a VCR and DVD, but not a satellite dish. I have room where the video switching box, VCR and DVD are to place both of the new digital boxes. So can you tell me step by step how to do this thing? If I need an AB switch, be specific on how to hook it into the system. Explain it to me as if I was a dummy. Because....
Mike
Old 06-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #37

I have the same questions about the boxes....I have TWO of the new Winegard converter boxes. The Winnebago instructions dont make ANY sense at all.

And a comment...I DONT CARE ABOUT RECEIVING ANALOG SIGNALS from the small stations when the big ones go to Digital...who cares about watching the Home shopping or whatever....

I have two of these boxes and still have no clue how to hook them up...( and I dont care about pass thru analog stations!)
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #38

If you put both converters in the same cabinet, how are you going to use the remote control to change channels on one converter without changing the channel on the other?
Do you have room somewhere in the back to put one of the converters back there? This would be much easier.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And a comment...I DONT CARE ABOUT RECEIVING ANALOG SIGNALS from the small stations when the big ones go to Digital...who cares about watching the Home shopping or whatever.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What appears not to be understood is what analog stations will remain that RVers might be interested in. You need Analog Pass-Thru to continue to receive stations that use UHF repeaters outside of their metropolitan area. These are network stations that put repeaters where their main antenna can't cover because of distance or obstructions. In other words where most people camp.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
If you put both converters in the same cabinet, how are you going to use the remote control to change channels on one converter without changing the channel on the other?
Do you have room somewhere in the back to put one of the converters back there? This would be much easier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Didn't think about the remote control problem. Was thinking that it would be easier to hook up both tv's at the video switch area. Ok, so I put one of the digital boxes back by the bedroom tv. Now what? By the way, my digital boxes are Motorola's Tb100MW9 if that makes a difference.