Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

You understand the use of two 6V batteries perfectly. I also had two 12V originally. Series the two 6V and no other changes are required.

Like you, I eagerly await the answer to your question in paragraph 3 about how low to let them go and how to tell if you are there. I've read numerous guidelines, but it still seems pretty fuzzy to me.

And my thanks also to everyone for the wealth of knowledge out here.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

The answer is when you reach 12.3 volts it is time to charge and never let them go
below 12 volts or you will shorten their useful life.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgofly
You guys are the greatest! I can't believe how generous everyone is passing on experience, preventing guys like me from learning the hard way!

So right now I have two 12V's which is (I believe) the way the coach was set up from the factory. I think I have plenty of room for 2 6 Volt (like T-105's or U-2200), if I change to 6V, are there any changes that need to be made to the charging system, or is it simply change from two 12's in parrallel to two 6's in series? I feel comfortable doing the battery change out, re-cabling, but if there is something I can do to optimize the charging set up, I'm not aware of anything.

Finally, what are you guys using to determine when you are approaching 50% capacity? If it's voltage, do you check it while theres a load on? I check my digital wall voltmeter last night against an actual calibrated Fluke voltmeter directly on the batteries, and the installed VM was .2V high. I'll watch this to see if it consistant, but I would guess it's just unreliable/unpredicatable.

Again, thanks for all the feedback,
Kev
Nothing special except any new cables you need to wire the new ones in series. I always think of 2 6's as just a big 12v battery split in half so its easier to carry.

I have a TriMetric system at home I will install when I get back.

http://www.bogartengineering.com/

Right now I'm using a simple digital volt gauge installed at the entry door close to the batteries. It's real close to what the multi meter says right on the batteries.

Anyway, when it gets to 12 - 12.1 v, I'll recharge. There is a formula for % discharge and volts (don't have it available right now) But, at around 12v @ 75 degrees, you are about 50% discharged. The colder it gets, the more discharged it will at the same volts.

If you have an old single stage charger, would highly recommend you spend another $130 and get a good multi-stage charger. I leave mine plugged in 365 days a year when possible.

If your coach doesn't charge your chassis battery, I would recommend a Trik-L-Start.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ultra-...t-p/trik-l.htm
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Ok, here ya go, everything you need to know about your 12v system.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

Be sure to read the 2nd part too.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Don't forget that battery voltage should be checked rested. So if you discharge your batteries to 12 volts after they sit a couple hours with no load they will probably be closer to 12.2 - 12.3 volts.

As clyon51 stated, check your converter/charger. Make sure you have a good one, if it's rated at 30-45 amps that may be a little anemic for a large battery bank. I upgraded my battery bank from the stock 160 ah to 375 ah and replaced my 45 amp converter with a 60 amp PD9260. Using the charge wizard pendent it's easy to keep track of how the batteries are charging.

I know you stated you don't want the hassle of maintaining flooded cell batteries, but with a good converter set up there will be a minimum of off gassing. This translates to less battery maintenance in general.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Grab a couple of Trojan T-105, ($130 each), install them in series and then install a Trimetric to monitor the batteries and you will be a very happy camper. A good 3 stage converter/charger is also a must as mentioned above.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone, great links, great info! I finally feel prepared to make an informed decision. I really like the idea of minimum maintenance offered by the AGM, however; I was unprepared for the cost. If I spent that much on batteries, I would also want to ensure I had the best equipment to charge/monitor them, which adds even more cost, which means less $4.10 gas for trips in the RV!

So, deciding my time isn't worth that much, I will live with the battery-well and water maintenance. It sounds like with a little car/caution, that's not that bad after all.

So the plan is to go with T-105's (although I haven't found any locally yet). I'll also look at upgrading the converter/charger and/or monitoring panel. While I'm at it, I plan to do a thourough clean/paint/preserve job in the battery well to get it started on the right foot.

I can't believe I'm at a point in my life were I'm excited over battery upgrades! Not sure what that means, but I'm good with it. I'm retiring from the Navy this summer and really looking forward to spending more time with the family, so I think it's all justified.

Again, thank you all so much for the information and inspiration. I'll post updates and lessons learned along the way, and of course, always open to advice.
Thanks again,
Kev
kevgofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgofly View Post
Can anyone offer advice on how many AH I should be looking for?
Well, the answer to that depends: IF you only camp with "Shore power" then you do not need a lot of amp hours, a Group 24 (73-75 AH) is all you need.

If you plan on camping "Off the grid" (Without shore power) then amp hours are good things and you need all you can A: Afford and B: Pack in there. 230 is about the minimum.

And you cited the price of AGM's.. Price Maintenance free, so long as you can mount 'em this side up there is no advantage to AGM for RV use. NONE, ZIP, they simply cost more and die faster.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Kev, I too went through the exact same upgrade you are performing with an odd "excitement"... I did extensive research on this forum as you are as well. To shorten your potential search I ended up buying the Trimetric and the converter (IOTA DLS-45/IQ4) from www.bestconverter.com. For the Trojans I called all over town to find the best price; there was quite a bit of variance. Their local distributors can be found on their website, along with the most detailed specifications for batteries of any manufacturer I found. I am very happy thus far.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Smile 6V Batteries

This is not to push a particular battery, but maybe to help someone compare. Originally a worksheet, I had to reformat it for upload, but you can print and still add your own research, if convenient. Not very fancy, but it is what I used to help me make my decisions.

Like many others, I am also upgrading to a PD9260 converter charger, which is supposed to arrive in two days! Spouse retires on Saturday!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6V Deep Cycle Batteries.pdf (52.8 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

You said that you wanted to have fun on your outings and fighting something you could
have taken care of sure puts cold water on having fun.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgofly View Post
Thanks everyone, great links, great info! I finally feel prepared to make an informed decision. I really like the idea of minimum maintenance offered by the AGM, however; I was unprepared for the cost. If I spent that much on batteries, I would also want to ensure I had the best equipment to charge/monitor them, which adds even more cost, which means less $4.10 gas for trips in the RV!

So, deciding my time isn't worth that much, I will live with the battery-well and water maintenance. It sounds like with a little car/caution, that's not that bad after all.

So the plan is to go with T-105's (although I haven't found any locally yet). I'll also look at upgrading the converter/charger and/or monitoring panel. While I'm at it, I plan to do a thourough clean/paint/preserve job in the battery well to get it started on the right foot.

I can't believe I'm at a point in my life were I'm excited over battery upgrades! Not sure what that means, but I'm good with it. I'm retiring from the Navy this summer and really looking forward to spending more time with the family, so I think it's all justified.

Again, thank you all so much for the information and inspiration. I'll post updates and lessons learned along the way, and of course, always open to advice.
Thanks again,
Kev
when i installed 2 lifeline gpl-6ct batteries on their sides under my stairs i went from 180 ah capacity to 300 ah capacity. i got mine from bd batteries.

Lifeline GPL-6CT Battery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00396.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	19387   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00398.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	19388  

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

The Trojan battery site is very good with the information they have available. Another nice thing is they have a complete listing of all their batteries. In my case I had room for 3 batteries-either 2- 6 volt or 3- 12 volt. I did have lots more height in the tray so could order a much taller battery set ( and better amp hours) than what your standard 7 or 8 inch tall batteries deep cycle battery. There was good advice in some preceding posts. Unless you are prepared to match the charging system to AGM they are a bit of a waste. They do however charge quicker because they are internally more efficient.
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery