Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Hi guys Just wanted to check in and say that I haven't forgotten about you. Things have just been busy here and I haven't gotten to the chats in awhile. I am hoping to be able to make it next Tuesday. I miss my Winnebago friends !!

We had to take Winnie back to the Cummins shop for the same genset issue (periodically shutting down). They had it 3 times and did little things they said should fix it. The last time it shut off on our way home from the shop !! So we brought our dealer into the situation and their service manager called the Cummins shop manager and they brought us back in again. It shut off for them and they replace the carborator. I am HOPING this takes care of the problem. We are going down to FL over spring break in March and the kids are going to want to watch TV while on the road !!

Chad is also going to look into getting an inverter installed. I'm not sure if that would do what we would want(power the bedroom tv while on the road, and allow us to plug in the laptop). Then we would only need the genset on if it was hot and we needed the back a/c for the kids.

We took a day trip last weekend (posted under general motorhome issues). The new puppy is doing pretty well and I am trying to get her familiar with the MH so she is ready for her first vacation. She will be about 5 months old then.

Well, enough about me. I hope that wherever you all are, you are warm, happy and surrounded by loved ones. And I am totally jealous of anyone that is out camping right now !! </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Hi guys Just wanted to check in and say that I haven't forgotten about you. Things have just been busy here and I haven't gotten to the chats in awhile. I am hoping to be able to make it next Tuesday. I miss my Winnebago friends !!

We had to take Winnie back to the Cummins shop for the same genset issue (periodically shutting down). They had it 3 times and did little things they said should fix it. The last time it shut off on our way home from the shop !! So we brought our dealer into the situation and their service manager called the Cummins shop manager and they brought us back in again. It shut off for them and they replace the carborator. I am HOPING this takes care of the problem. We are going down to FL over spring break in March and the kids are going to want to watch TV while on the road !!

Chad is also going to look into getting an inverter installed. I'm not sure if that would do what we would want(power the bedroom tv while on the road, and allow us to plug in the laptop). Then we would only need the genset on if it was hot and we needed the back a/c for the kids.

We took a day trip last weekend (posted under general motorhome issues). The new puppy is doing pretty well and I am trying to get her familiar with the MH so she is ready for her first vacation. She will be about 5 months old then.

Well, enough about me. I hope that wherever you all are, you are warm, happy and surrounded by loved ones. And I am totally jealous of anyone that is out camping right now !! </span>

Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Shannone. I miss chatting with you also--your trips and adventures with the kids and the new puppy always make for fun reading.

Unfortunately (for me) I am only able to participate in the chat rooms when I am away. My WildBlue satellite internet seems to be incompatible or too slow for me to join in at home.

We just got back from a long weekend at Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks and are already planning our next few trips. In the meantime I feel the need to go solo camping in a tent at Yosemite (my wife flatly refuses to camp in a tent in the snow, and I sometimes enjoy the company of myself for a couple of days anyway.)

My own MH is behaving well, except I still haven't figured out the problem with the dash radio--it gets power from the house batteries, but not the chassis battery. I have checked the fuses, so suspect it may be a loose connector pin somewhere.

Our main problem with using the MH over winter is that it gets dirty on the wet roads, and before I get a chance to clean it, we go out again. It's kind of embarrassingly grotty right now.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Glad you are doing good, was wondering if you were off at Disney World.

I picked up an inverter that I use for my navigational laptop, we also use it for my wifes laptop for the kids to sit at the dinette and watch movies. I just plug it in at the dinette and runs fine while going down the road.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Shannone;

Happy to hear from you. We did miss you and I was wondering if you got snowed in? We will be looking forward to your participation in the chat again.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Shan:

Good to hear from you. We do miss you in the chat room on Tuesdays.

An inverter will certainly power your TV and your laptop while traveling.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

An inverter would be just what you need. Considering the cost of gas it would probably save you about $1.50 per hour of TV viewing. I am currently north of Quartzsite, AZ using my computer to send this while watching the TV, all off inverter power. I would suggest a 1,500 to 2,000 watt inverter tied into your entertainment centers and a receptacle available in the kitchen. While we went into Quartzsite yesterday, the bread maker was making a loaf of bread in the motorhome on inverter power. The batteries were also being charged by the solar panel. You would certainly find an inverter a good investment.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I would suggest a 1,500 to 2,000 watt inverter tied into your entertainment centers and a receptacle available in the kitchen. While we went into Quartzsite yesterday, the bread maker was making a loaf of bread in the motorhome on inverter power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thanks John. I will pass that info onto Chad.

I am really craving homemade bread all of the sudden !! </span>

Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hopefully I'll soon be able to join in on some of your Tuesday night chats. Since it is Wednesday during my workday in Korea when you guys are enjoying Tuesday nights I can't make it... but in just a few weeks we'll be back in the U.S. for good and will plan on joining you all.

Shannone, we'll be taking our first trip to Florida also... but may be out of there before you guys get there. We'll be in Florida from 26 February to about 12 March. Maybe we'll pass on the road!
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Shannone...Are you guys going to the GNR this summer. Dont know if you have seen it, but there is a tread running asking how many Irv2 members are planning to attend. We are all planning to get together while there. Hope you guys can make it.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote