Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Minnie Drop solar ready?

The new Minnie Drop i just got says that it's solar ready, there is a plug. However I was told I still need a controller. I know nothing about solar power. Can I just plug panels into the plug in on the side of the Drop?
Greg Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

no. The wires are there but they are not connected to anything.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Technically, you can directly plug in a very small solar panel without a controller. By very small, I believe 1-2% of your batteries amp hour capacity. So if you have a 100 amp hour battery, you could theoretically plug in a one or two amp solar panel without a charge controller. Frankly, I wouldn't. Charge controllers aren't that expensive, especially for the peace of mind they provide.

Our new 2019 Minnie is also "Solar Ready" and I traced the wires. All Solar Ready means is that the Zamp connector has been installed and wired to feed directly to the batteries. I should also mention that I've read Zamp reversed the standard polarity on the connector to force people to only use their way-overpriced products.

I added a 100 watt mono solar panel with MPPT controller and Xantrex battery monitor to my sailboat and it was a great addition. I've just added a Victron battery monitor to our Minnie and anticipate adding solar in the not-too-distant future. I'm already leaning heavily toward a pair of 100 watt Renogy slim-line panels and a blue-tooth capable Victron 75 volt/15 amp MPPT charge controller. My plan is to hinge the panels together myself so they fold and store in the pass-thru. Having them angled properly toward the sun is too important to permanently affix them anywhere on the trailer so a good length of wire is also going to be needed.

But solar is about third on my current priority list. Next up is a cell-signal booster. After that, a 1500 watt inverter. Then I'll be ready to add the solar.

FWIW

Jim
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Mine was called "solar ready" and only wires were installed. I bought a Zamp controller off ebay.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
2018 22M

Solar Suitcase

I know this was a few months ago, but for the record I bought a 160 watt solar suitcase from Zamp and it’s a simple plug & play. I got an extension cord so the RV can be in shade w/suitcase at a distance in sun. I bought it to go to Florida Keys to help after hurricane devastation & then due to unavoidable issues couldn’t go. So tho I set it up upon arrival to see, and it works great, it’s been in my garage ever since! One day! :-)
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar