Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a new Meridian with 3 coach batteries. Came home yesterday from first trip and decided to leave refg. on running on LP. (4 door w/ice maker) Coach batteries started @ 12.6v and are now down to 12.1v. in 24 hours. Only 12v system operating is refg. Is this common or is there some other drain on the 12v system? Battery water is OK, had full charge when I parked yesterday.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a new Meridian with 3 coach batteries. Came home yesterday from first trip and decided to leave refg. on running on LP. (4 door w/ice maker) Coach batteries started @ 12.6v and are now down to 12.1v. in 24 hours. Only 12v system operating is refg. Is this common or is there some other drain on the 12v system? Battery water is OK, had full charge when I parked yesterday.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Nexus Ghost
Old 07-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

there are a lot of people who can answer in tech. terms. i'm not one of them. but the first night in our journey tv,heater a lite or two on the batt. were dead enough to not let heater fans run. so to answer your ? YES. also when plugged in the amps could be 1 to 3 amps on ems with nothing on. Don
Old 07-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Did you happen to leave the inverter running?

The parasitic draw of the 110v appliances, TV, Micro, ice maker in the refridge do add up and when run through the inverter, will drain the batteries.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Your batteries were not fully charged to begin with. They should have 13.2v if they were fully charged.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Fans on the frig. will flat eat a battery set in 24 hours. Were yours coming on? I haven't figured the draw on mine yet but they sound hefty. I notice that when no exterior voltage is coming into the rig including solar panels, the quiescent (sp) voltage of the batteries with only the parasitic loads (frig, clock, the usual stuff) is 12.6 VDC.
Why leave the inverter on? Inverter alone will draw 1-2 amps.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your responses, but I'm afraid I need to get used to the idea that these coaches are somewhat of a 12v hogs. Invertor was off, batteries were fully charged at 12.6v (the 13.2 is only when they are still on the shore power charger).
In my previous coach I could boondock for 2-3 days on batteries alone. I guess I'll have to run the genny more often.
This forum is a great resource, thanks. Rich

Nexus Ghost
Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Rich, on my old coach i had solar and i could go forever if sun was out. thats why i was surp. when my new coach batt. went dead so soon. Don