Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #1

Quote:
Originally posted by Pusherman:
I have owned a diesel pusher now for 6 years, and they are NOT simple to maintain. Nor do the manuals make it easy to figure out what the service intervals are. I finally put together an Excel spreadsheet with all the appropriate time/mileage intervals for maintenance to keep me honest. I had to pull the transmission info from the Allison book --- the engine info from the CAT book -- the air brake info from the Freightliner book --- etc.

Why can't Freightliner put this together on one page for us to make it easy? With this day and age of computers/barcodes/configuration control in manufacturing, it would be very easy to follow the chassis thru manufacturing, with the appropriate bill of materials for that specific chassis, and generate a maintenance schedule from that -- then print it out on a digital printer. The technology exists, so why not make it easy for diesel owners?? (Freightliner -- are you listening?) And yes, I have seen the pages regarding M1, M2, M3, but they are not specific to your chassis configuration.

I bet more than 50% of diesel owners do not maintain their chassis the way the suppliers and manufacturers want.

Ok, my manuals are out in the motorhome and I'm too lazy to get them out.

I seems that the last time we checked the manuals, it was very difficult to decipher what maintenance to do and when. That's why I'm making a reference to Don's post in another thread. Since I can't seem to figure out how to use PMs here on this board, I can't message Don individually. Don, if you're there, do you know if Freightliner has come out and published a more understandable maintenance schedule to follow? I'd like to make a spread sheet and put everything on it too but just haven't had the time to compile everything. I think FCC should have to do it! *grr*

Anyway, with that said, we are wondering if we should have the M1 done now. We have just under 6,000 miles and it's about 8 months old.

The dealership we've taken it to for warranty work has told us not to worry about servicing the chassis until 12,000. So I guess they're telling us to skip the M1. That's obviously not what we want to do. They are telling us the maintenance schedules are geared for truckers so don't worry about servicing it with only 6,000 miles on it.

What I recall the manual saying is that M1 is due at 6,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first ...is that correct? We are now over 6 months. Do you think that FCC can void any chassis warranty items because we are 2 months over the requirement? Are they that nit-picky?

Do I remember that the valve adjustment on the CAT engine must be done at this time? If not, when is this suppose to be done?

Thanks!
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #2

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
I have owned a diesel pusher now for 6 years, and they are NOT simple to maintain. Nor do the manuals make it easy to figure out what the service intervals are. I finally put together an Excel spreadsheet with all the appropriate time/mileage intervals for maintenance to keep me honest. I had to pull the transmission info from the Allison book --- the engine info from the CAT book -- the air brake info from the Freightliner book --- etc.

Why can't Freightliner put this together on one page for us to make it easy? With this day and age of computers/barcodes/configuration control in manufacturing, it would be very easy to follow the chassis thru manufacturing, with the appropriate bill of materials for that specific chassis, and generate a maintenance schedule from that -- then print it out on a digital printer. The technology exists, so why not make it easy for diesel owners?? (Freightliner -- are you listening?) And yes, I have seen the pages regarding M1, M2, M3, but they are not specific to your chassis configuration.

I bet more than 50% of diesel owners do not maintain their chassis the way the suppliers and manufacturers want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, my manuals are out in the motorhome and I'm too lazy to get them out.

I seems that the last time we checked the manuals, it was very difficult to decipher what maintenance to do and when. That's why I'm making a reference to Don's post in another thread. Since I can't seem to figure out how to use PMs here on this board, I can't message Don individually. Don, if you're there, do you know if Freightliner has come out and published a more understandable maintenance schedule to follow? I'd like to make a spread sheet and put everything on it too but just haven't had the time to compile everything. I think FCC should have to do it! *grr*

Anyway, with that said, we are wondering if we should have the M1 done now. We have just under 6,000 miles and it's about 8 months old.

The dealership we've taken it to for warranty work has told us not to worry about servicing the chassis until 12,000. So I guess they're telling us to skip the M1. That's obviously not what we want to do. They are telling us the maintenance schedules are geared for truckers so don't worry about servicing it with only 6,000 miles on it.

What I recall the manual saying is that M1 is due at 6,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first ...is that correct? We are now over 6 months. Do you think that FCC can void any chassis warranty items because we are 2 months over the requirement? Are they that nit-picky?

Do I remember that the valve adjustment on the CAT engine must be done at this time? If not, when is this suppose to be done?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Call Freightliner and ask them. You do need to change the transmission filter at 5,000 miles and the first gen oil change is at either 50 or 100 hours, can't remember which.

All that said, I agree 110% that it is all very complicated to keep track of. And to boot, it isn't any simpler as I get more chronologically challenged!!!!!!!!!

If you come up with a good, simple spreadsheet that will simplify this and can post it on this site, you will be ADORED many.

If you have TripTek on your m/h you can plug in the due times and it will remind you.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #4

Thanks, Doug.

I'll try to call FCC sometime this week.

I read in another thread that we may have blown our warranty coverage by not having the service done at 6 months. If Freightliner wants to get nasty, all they have to do is tell us that we didn't have the M1 done at 6 months.

If this happens, we obviously won't be buying anything on a Freightliner chassis again.

We'll just hope that they aren't that nit-picky ...or that we'll not need warranty coverage for the chassis.

I'll call and try to get some feedback on that.

So those of you that did the M1 on time, did you also have the valves adjusted and the generator serviced too? ...or just the engine and the transmission?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hi Amanda -- I did put an Excel spreadsheet together to keep it all straight regarding all the maintenance. I will PM you to make arrangements to send it to you.

Here's the bottom line regarding service intervals for your motorhome:

As previously posted, you need an initial 5k mile service on your Allison transmission to replace the main filter.

You should at a minimum have your chassis lubricated at the initial 6 month interval (M1), as the factory's initial lubrication may not be adequate (I had some brake problems due to lack of lube). Not a bad idea to have your chassis lubed every 6 months.

After this, assuming you drive less than 11k miles/year, you should be totally adequate with annual maintenance (M2) on your coach, primarily focused on oil change/oil filter/lube/fuel filter/fuel-water separator change.

At 24 months, the air filter should be replaced.

There are other services required at 36 months, such as transmission filter changes, air dryer filter changes, etc.

At 48 months, the TranSynd fluid should be changed.

This is not a complete list, but it gives you an idea of what is involved.

Don't forget service on your genset.

CAT recommends that you have the valves adjusted between the 3rd and 4th oil change, which would be 33k-44k miles.

Remember, the time interval is more important than the miles, unless you exceed the mileage interval.

Hope this helps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #6

Thanks Don!!!

I just found your PM ...I think I finally figured out how the PM procedure works here on this forum. It's kind of neat because you can have more than two parties involved. Cool!

So we are overdue for the transmission service then also, right? So it's 5,000 rather than 6,000? The oil change is 6,000, right? *ack* this is all so disjointed.

Why would they have the transmission service required at 5,000 and the rest of the maintenance required at 6,000. Or am I interpreting this right?

I'm so glad to hear the the valve adjustment isn't required right away. I always thought that it too was supposed to be done on the first service. I'm glad we can hold that off for awhile.

Thanks again!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The only major service needed at 6k miles is a chassis lube, and the first genset oil change at 50 hours. And yes, you need to change out the tranny filter at 5k miles. Wait for the oil change (and other items I previously mentioned) at the annual service. I do this at the end of the year when I put the coach into storage for the winter.

Note there are other items called for at an M2, such as torqueing bolts, cleaning electrical connectors, etc., but the major things to worry about are the ones I listed above.

Note on the Allison Tranny filter change: The filter must be changed at 5k miles if your transmission was built with the lower capacity filter, which is determined by your serial number. Go to the Allison website with your tranny s/n in hand, and it will tell you that transmissions prior to a specific s/n need the 5k filter change. Units built after a specific s/n no longer need the 5k filter change as they moved to a high-capacity filter.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I whole heartedly agree with all said, as after 3 years ownership I'm still not assured that I have everything thing down as it should be. It doesn't help that Cat and FL don't cordinate their requirements, and which fluids they use. First Cat says valve adjustment at 11,000 miles then later changes to after 4th oil change. Then trans oil change depends on whether FL used Transynd or not, but if not you can start using it but need two annual changes before the synthetic maintenance requirements take effect. Then comes the antifreeze, is it Extended usage or not, and depending on which it is what kind of SCA to use and how much, and which test strips to use to determine the SCA requirement. My head just swims thinking about all this.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I'd kinda like to see your sheet as well. Why re-invent the wheel?

DITTO on the chassis lube. I did mine way early on and (IMO) it was way drier than I expected it to be. I went through at least 1/2 tube of grease just to get an ooze out of the joints.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Jeff, PM me w/ your email. I will send it to you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]