Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

M&G

Anyone using or have any pro/cons on this braking system?
Old 07-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It looks like a good system. I looked at it, but it wouldn't work on my towed because of the space it needs in front of the master cylinder. I went with the AF1 and am very happy with it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Just installed M&G on my Chevy Equinox, used NSA Ready Brake on my previous toad, Chevy Tracker. Tracker was much lighter and easier to install the Ready Brake. Was not impressed. Did an awful lot of research and moved to the M&G. Very happy with the system, very easy hookup, nothing to install inside the vehicle, break away system is unique and compact. The installer stated that it is the most simple, yet best he has seen or installed. You can't go wrong if you are going to keep your toad for awhile.
CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
I don't have one, but I believe it is a simple and reliable toad brake system IF you have a coach with air. It can be used on gassers too, but a ping tank and compressor have to be added.

I strongly suggest it be professionally installed and calibrated, because bad things happen to the toad if not done correctly. As Chas posted it does not fit "all" toads because of space restrictions on some.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Have been using M&G braking system for 16 months and it has worked flawless. 30 seconds or less for hookup of air line to toad. I also know two others that use this braking system and they have had no issues.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Had this system installed on my rig 11 years ago - never a moments trouble.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
Well Sir,
I just went through the installation of the M&G. Without a doubt, it's a piece of cake. Not sure what the other poster meant about calibration 'cause, there is none. The only "adjustment" that's needed, is during the install of the unit to the toad. There are two, independent adjustment shafts, that oppose each other, inside the unit.

You simply remove the fasteners that retain the master cylinder to the power brake unit. You move that master cylinder forward enough, to allow clearance for the M & G unit to be inserted in between the two original parts. But, since it's basically a "spacer" in between the two, those two shafts I mentioned need to be adjusted, independently, to make sure the contact points are as close as possible so that when the installation is complete, you really don't know the M & G unit is installed.

Another words, you don't want to feel it's been added.

As for how and where to install it in the coaches air brake system, a bit of care must be taken but, it's not hard at all. If you're thinking of doing it yourself, PM me and I'd be glad to assist or, simply call M & G and, their tech will walk you through it too.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I've been using the M&G brake system since purchase of my Meridian in 2003 - first on a 2002 Saturn, and (after swapping the cylinder) later on my 2003 Jeep Liberty. Over 90K miles without a problem.

After installation I realized that one important component is missing – that of an indicator system to notify the coach driver that the toad brake system is functioning. A system is needed to see when air is being applied to the toad’s brakes and to indicate if the breakaway has been tripped, setting the brakes. Additionally, a warning system is needed to indicate when the toad brakes are not operating due to a disconnected or leaking hose. I corrected this deficiency by adding an air pressure switch at the pneumatic actuator, and a warning light in the motorhome. Now, when air pressure is applied to the toad brake system, for normal braking or emergency breakaway, the cockpit indicator illuminates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB170012.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	101628  
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Additionally, a warning system is needed to indicate when the toad brakes are not operating due to a disconnected or leaking hose. I corrected this deficiency by adding an air pressure switch at the pneumatic actuator, and a warning light in the motorhome. Now, when air pressure is applied to the toad brake system, for normal braking or emergency breakaway, the cockpit indicator illuminates.

I was wondering about that on how that works. Now I know!
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I've been using this system for over 6 years and it has been flawless. I have installed this on two different toads myself without issue. I can have my system hooked up in 5 seconds with no problems. I like the fact it has no electronics to go south, I don't have to kneel down to get it hooked up, especially if the weather is nasty. It's proportional with the coach brakes and won't apply the toad brakes on long downhill grades while using the exhaust brake. There is also an optional brake away feature available that works in conjunction with this system.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Great responses with fantastic photos. I have used the M&G on my 2000 Horizon and 1999 Tahoe since 2000 (15 years). After the install I had to replace the rotors on my Tahoe then after a short time the rotors needed to be replaced again. I called M&G and they sold me an adjustable pressure regulator. That fixed the problem. Bottom line a great product and I would buy again.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
2018 Winniebago Vista 27

Had a 2nd unit installed in Athens Texas on our new 2015 Jeep Wrangler toad. Works great. The one on our old toad worked great also. We have used M&G for over a year now with no issues.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

M&G on 2nd toad and it works great. A very simple design with NO electrical connections to break down. I had our 1st one installed at the factory as it was a bit of harder fit, 2000 Chevy Tracker with the V-6. I just installed one on a Chevy Silverado. Very easy if you like to use tools. $180 rebate when the old unit (from the Tracker) was returned to M&G.