Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

In its first year, the Winnie's LP detector was replaced due to it going off repeatedly. No LP leak was ever detected. Last night it went off repeatedly. After checking for the presence of LP without success, I opted to disconnect the power to the CCI LP Gas leak detector. We are connected to shore power and the batteries were fully charged. Any ideas on why a second detector would be giving false alarms?

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

In its first year, the Winnie's LP detector was replaced due to it going off repeatedly. No LP leak was ever detected. Last night it went off repeatedly. After checking for the presence of LP without success, I opted to disconnect the power to the CCI LP Gas leak detector. We are connected to shore power and the batteries were fully charged. Any ideas on why a second detector would be giving false alarms?

2004 CR-V EX
Old 10-09-2005, 05:51 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

There are many things that can set this detector off. Your pet passing gas. Ours is across from bathroom and is set off at times if fan is not turned on. Wife useing hair spray. Cleaning the carpet with chemical cleaners.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I disconnected mine for the same reason. Wife sets it off all the time with hair spray. Also check your battery water levels. Mine were low and fumes while being charge by converter, were causing it to go off. I discovered that by it going off while covers were off batteries while adding water. Vet Mam
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:29 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I had put a switch just above the detector. This way I can turn it on/off.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Ours went off in the middle of the night (when else?) and we solved it by turning on the kitchen fan and opening a window. The next day a technician checked it and found no leaks, but he said if we are connected to the sewer and leave the valve open (grey water) the sewer gas will find its way into the drains and set of the alarm. That solved, no more problems until one night (of course) it went off again. I turned on the fan, opened the window and went back to sleep. In the morning, we found that my wife had turned ON the front stove burner instead of turning it off...so the alarm really was working correctly. Be sure it is not a real problem before you disconnect the thing.

Golfingene
2004 Winnebago Journey 39K
Golfingene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the feedback. Here are a few more bits of info based on your inputs. [LIST]The stove has, at this point, never been used.
<LI>The first LP detector was determined to have been defective by CCI and replaced.
<LI>No LP leaks are present.
<LI>The sewer valve was closed and toilet had water in it.
<LI>The batteries' water was at the proper level and they were fully charged.
<LI>It was the middle of the night, so no hair spray.

Our unit is now 2 1/2 years old, so I suspect the carpet is no longer off gassing. Now that CCF's are not allowed in aerosols, almost any spray can uses LP as a propellant. Therefore, it must have been the dog. Thanks

2004 CR-V EX