Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Picked up the MH from storage this morning and when I stared the MH "low battery voltage" came up on the dash. The MH has been in storage for 4 weeks. When I put it in storage I shut of the main battery disconnect so it wouldn't draw down the batteries. The MH was plugged into shore power before we put it in storage. Also the control panel was going bonkers and a warning beep was coming from it. Any ideas on what is going on? We are leaving tomorrow morning to a Winnebago local chapter camp out. If any one can en;lighten me on what is going on would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Picked up the MH from storage this morning and when I stared the MH "low battery voltage" came up on the dash. The MH has been in storage for 4 weeks. When I put it in storage I shut of the main battery disconnect so it wouldn't draw down the batteries. The MH was plugged into shore power before we put it in storage. Also the control panel was going bonkers and a warning beep was coming from it. Any ideas on what is going on? We are leaving tomorrow morning to a Winnebago local chapter camp out. If any one can en;lighten me on what is going on would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The main battery disconnect is for your coach batteries and not the chassis batteries. There are parasitic draws on your chassis battery that will take it down fairly quickly (3 - 4 weeks). I thought that on many of the newer diesel pushers a Trik-L-Start is installed which will prevent this as long as you have a solar panel charging the coach batteries.
Do you know if you have the small solar panel for battery maintenance and/or the Trik-L-Start?
Frank O.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You can also pick up a cheap 'float charger' for about $20 from places like WalMart to keep up the starting battery.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Moldmkr

An easy fix for you.
As I understand, you coach has a 10w solar charger. You also have a standard installed Trick l start.
The problem you have I believe, is that for the Trick l start to charge the chassis batteries, you have to have you house battery disconnect ON, with all the parasitic loads.
The solution is simple. Take the wire from your Trick L Start that is installed on the house battery disconnect solonoid and install it on your battery isolator solonoid. The house battery side of the solonoid. On mine its the right side looking at it standing facing the front of the coach.
What you end up with is the coach batteries will now charge from your trik L Start with the dash house battery disconnect switch in the off position.
Remember this will maintain a fully charged battery, but will not charge a depleted battery.
When you do this, disconnect the ground terminals from both your house and chassis batteries and throw a piece of cardboard or something over your solar charger.
A 1/2 hr job.

edit--I have a picture of my installation buried somewhere in my computer. If you dont completly understand what I just said PM me.
My installation keeps my chassis and house batteries up just fine.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had the coach inside so solar charger couldn't work. Found out the main battery disconnect is only for the chassis batteries (engine). I assumed it was for both. Therefore the house batteries were still live. There is a switch inside the coach I needed to shut off as well. Had the MH plugged in at home and now the batteries are charged.

Thanks Franko and Bruceh for your help. I am still learning a lot about the coach. Every outing is a new learning experience.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Be careful with those cheap chargers. I had one that was supposed to have a battery tender mode, and it scattered an unattended / charging battery all over my shop one night.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote