Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

When my dish was originally installed I was able to get both satellites 110 and 119 on my TV. Now I can only get 119. When I go thru the steps to get 110 the signal always goes back to 119. Any thoughts?
Old 01-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Tell us when your system was originally installed, what antenna you have, and when it last worked properly. There were some massive changes in the Dish satellites last Sept/Oct. My MotoSat automatic dish controller required a software update in order to find 110 after those changes. I don't know how (if at all) those changes affected manual dishes.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #3

If you have a KVH antenna I believe you will need a software update as well.
The more info you can give us about your system and setup the better.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

-
Very interesting. We, too, have the same problem now that we have relocated for the winter. We have the Winegard AS2003 (gulp). Does the exact same as OP. The Winegard dish can't find 110.

We believe that the DVR got updated last fall.

We'll be interested in any info too!

Rose
Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

When I had that problem about 5 months ago, tech support determined that my receiver ( I think a 311 ) was bad. They sent me a new one and all was good. Did you call them, thay have always been very helpful for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have a Dish 1000 Plus antenna with 3 lnb's, 4 line outputs. Only need #1 line out for my receiver. I played around with the orientation of that thing for several hours. I had placed it in my neighbor's pull through (no one was there) and decided to move it in case they wanted to stick some one in there. Now mind you, I could not get all 3 satellites locked in.

Well, when I moved the entire shindig in one fell swoop to the rear of my coach, and just hammered some holding stakes in, I decided to go in and check the system. Would you believe that all three satellites were showing and I had full channel coverage! Go figure.

I think next time I'll just throw it out the bay door and see what I get wherever it lands.

Actually, my point is, you have to split the difference between the two satellites. If you are also looking for the 3rd (129) bird along with the other two, well, orientation is everything. Not to take away that you may have a faulty system.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The antenna is a KVH TracVision R5/R4 installed in Oct 06. It last worked OK late in 2007. It is set up to do an auto track when I bring it on line. That usually takes a few minutes on sat 119. Re the software updates, can those be downloaded from DISH?

I have not worried about the lost sat but we will be traveling on Super Bowl Sunday and wanted to catch the game which is on NBC so requires 110.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Re the software updates, can those be downloaded from DISH?
It wouldn't be DISH software, but KVH. It tells the KVH system how to find the satellites. As mentioned, they were changed in late Summer/early Fall 2008. The software update for my MotoSat dish was pretty large ... owners had to download it on the internet and connect their computer to the controller box, or take the MotoSat controller box to a MotoSat dealer to have it done.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have the KVH TracVision R6 with the same problem; I began losing channels in December. KVH quoted me a software upgrade of almost half the original cost of the entire system. Since there's no guarantee that continuing satellite and frequency manipulation won't continue, I opted to replace the system with a Winegard open dish. Personally, I think the "dome" systems are obsolete and won't be able to keep up with changing technology. In any case, I found KVH customer support to be abysmal and wouldn't recommend any of their products.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have Dish Network at home and in our RV.

We receive locals (to Louisville) at home, as well as the bulk of channels. Locals on satellite 110, most of the rest on 119. (as of last year). Locals use a "spotbeam" to prevent reception of locals away from home. At home, the dish will receive from both 119 and 110 while parked in the driveway, shifting from 119 to 110 as required with the change of station. We do a system reset and auto configure with the Dish receiver at home; that tells the Winegard model 3500 dish which satellites are available for our receiver. When away from home (farther than 150 miles, more or less, we do a system reset. At that time the dish antenna does not search for the 110 satellite because (I conject) because the GPS tells the receiver "we are too far from home, don't look for the locals"; therefore, satellite 110 is ignored and only those stations available on 119 are entered into the receiver's list. I only miss the RFDTV on channel 231; sure miss the horse auctions (LOL).

Now our situation has changed with the advent of HDTV; the high def stations are on satellite 129, while the local HD stations are on satellite 77. If you were to want HighDef, you have to get a different logic box (around 500 bux) to cause the dish to swivel to 129 (my fix is to use a tripod and buy a 1000.2 model dish (around 100 bux) while stationary) Lots of things have changed, and will probably continue to change. Enjoy the flow.

Wendell
Old 01-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #11

Quote:
When away from home (farther than 150 miles, more or less, we do a system reset. At that time the dish antenna does not search for the 110 satellite because (I conject) because the GPS tells the receiver "we are too far from home, don't look for the locals";
The antenna can't tell the receiver anything, it's simply that the programming that you would normally receive on 110 while under a spot-beam is not there so the receiver updates itself with the information that is downloaded.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thank you, Bill...

As oftimes true, my conjecture was founded on guesswork. I only can go by what I observe through repetitious missteps on my part. I appreciate your clarification.

Wendell