Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking for Regeneration Switch

I have been reading about the Diesel Particulate filters on these new WIN coaches and there is supposed to be (I believe) a Regeneration switch under the dash for performing a forced regen of the filter. This could come in handy if you get the regen light with the red check engine light---this means you can't drive until the particulate filter is cleaned (regenerated). Has anyone found their switch on a 2009 or 2010 model??
Not even sure there is one at this point.
Thank you.

John
JFBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFBell View Post
I have been reading about the Diesel Particulate filters on these new WIN coaches and there is supposed to be (I believe) a Regeneration switch under the dash for performing a forced regen of the filter. This could come in handy if you get the regen light with the red check engine light---this means you can't drive until the particulate filter is cleaned (regenerated). Has anyone found their switch on a 2009 or 2010 model??
Not even sure there is one at this point.
Thank you.

John
I need a regeneration switch installed in my old body.
Let's make a few and sell for a fortune!
On the serious side, call Winnie and ask the ? if no responses.

Good luck,
Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

2009 Destination - Cummins - I have been under my dash several times putting in the "personal" accessories and have not found such a switch. Can't remember if the regeneration is based on a sensor, mileage or hours of operation. Do remember the owner's manual stating to make sure that you were not in tall grass or on asphalt as the exhaust gets really hot.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

someone in the damon forum told me that F/L installed the manual switch in the wire harness under the dash......

i have searched numerous times for any weird bumps in the harness and have yet to find one

F/L customer service also told me it was there........but could be in any location based on what the up-fitter (Damon, Winnie, etc) decided to do with it ....
if you do find it. please post pics
i would assume' since its a f/l chassis it should be reasonably close on all the chassis
Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Look on page 1-29 in the Cummins ISC & ISL Owner manual. (manual dated 2006 but it also pertains to our 08 ISL 400hp).

The Freightliner RV Chassis (dated 09/07) page 1.2 states "for a driver parked regeneration there must be a DASH MOUNTED regeneration switch"

Just an educated guess: You don't have a switch and must drive at highway speeds for 20 minutes to allow regeneration... I've been wrong before, our 08 Tour does not have the switch. Both the Cummins and Freightliner manuals are not clear about this matter.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Look on page 1-29 in the Cummins ISC & ISL Owner manual. (manual dated 2006 but it also pertains to our 08 ISL 400hp).

The Freightliner RV Chassis (dated 09/07) page 1.2 states "for a driver parked regeneration there must be a DASH MOUNTED regeneration switch"

Just an educated guess: You don't have a switch and must drive at highway speeds for 20 minutes to allow regeneration... I've been wrong before, our 08 Tour does not have the switch. Both the Cummins and Freightliner manuals are not clear about this matter.

Kerry
couldn't agree more
both my f/l and cummins books say there "may " be a manual switch
then in another part state there "is" a manual switch

my damon has no switch....and i assume' it gets hot enough under load to keep it from going into regen.
12k miles and it hasn't yet that i can tell
f/l was certain the switch is in the harness under the dash and the body builder may or may not put it on the dash....
one of these days when i pull the dash out i bet it appears
Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

How to do a Parked Regeneration

I spoke with Winne today on this subject. Was told there is a white piece of plastic with a white wire attached to the bottom of the bracket which holds the ECM diagnostic port (left side of stering column below the dash). If you disconnect the white wire, it is the same as turning-on the Regen switch. I checked my coach and sure enough, there it is.
I think it is improtant to know how this "parked Regen" is initiated because according to Cummins if the engine light and regen light come on and you can't increase your driving speed (drive at 40 mph for for 20-40 minutes) then you run the risk of the engine going into De-Rate or ceasing to let you operate normally. My luck I would be in a traffic jam with no way to get out of it and no way to start a "parked Regen". I really don't want to be towed just because I had no way to do a parked-regen.
Hope this helps someone along the line.
John
JFBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago Regen wire

Thanks for passing on the information about the white wire, good information. I just found my wire connection right where you said it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFBell View Post
I spoke with Winne today on this subject. Was told there is a white piece of plastic with a white wire attached to the bottom of the bracket which holds the ECM diagnostic port (left side of steering column below the dash). If you disconnect the white wire, it is the same as turning-on the Regen switch. I checked my coach and sure enough, there it is.

Hope this helps someone along the line.
John
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'll look on mine this weekend.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Good news !

Will the first person to regenerate by disconnecting the white wire please post back.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

sweet i shall go look at my diagnostic port

maybe damon left it in a similar place as winnie

Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

When you do a manual regeneration make sure that the exhaust is not near anything combustible. The engine will go to fast idle, and the exhaust will get up to possibly 1600 degrees. If your exhaust is pointed toward the ground, asphalt will melt from the temperature. Grass and vegetation will also be at risk.
This type of regen can take up to 40 minutes. Once it start you cannot interrupt the process.
Hopefully you will regenerate while driving down the highway.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I know I dont have a class A but I have regen two times now with about 9000 miles and both while going down the freeway.