Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Looking at 31' Class C need a little help

Have been around the MH world for many years and just sold our 40' pusher and going over to the dark side(Gas) back to where I started 40 plus years ago. Things have changed in the Class C world and I have a couple questions.
First of all the one we are looking at is a 2004 Minni Winni 31v-10 with one slide and it really looks like a cherry. So in general what to look for or look out for. Tires are in good shape and are late 2112, batteries 4 years or so, seems to have most options.
Question, there is a boat type winch behind the passenger seat in a compartment, AH what for?
Do they have basement heat from furnace?
What's the mileage like, I will be towing?
Can one run all night in cold weather using furnace(2 batteries)?
Does the heat supplies by the motor for the rear(coach work reasonable)it has the xtra radiator behind the cab seats that pipes into the heat ducts.
Does the trans do a reasonable job of slowing on say a 6-7% down hill?
About all I can think of right now, sure I'll be thinking.

LEN
Old 04-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wow no comments??!!
Old 04-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2001 Itasca Sundancer 31C, which I believe is similar to the Minnie Winnie you are talking about. I've never driven it, so I can't be any help on your questions about handling. I just noticed the other day that the coach is heated through vents in the floor. It is a basement model with plenty of storage space (too much perhaps) for the limited amount of OCCC between the weight of the coach and the 14,050# GVWR. On my unit there is only a little over 1,000# of passengers, gear and whatnot before hitting the GVWR.
Don't know what you plan on towing, but it has a 5,000# hitch and the tongue weight is limited to 350#.
The MPG would probably be somewhere around 8 not towing, or maybe a little better.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I will get back to you in a couple hours and can add a few comments answers for you
Old 04-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Have been around the MH world for many years and just sold our 40' pusher and going over to the dark side(Gas) back to where I started 40 plus years ago. Things have changed in the Class C world and I have a couple questions.
First of all the one we are looking at is a 2004 Minni Winni 31v-10 with one slide and it really looks like a cherry. So in general what to look for or look out for. Tires are in good shape and are late 2112, batteries 4 years or so, seems to have most options.
Question, there is a boat type winch behind the passenger seat in a compartment, AH what for?
Do they have basement heat from furnace? Mine doesn't, yours might.
What's the mileage like, I will be towing? I got 7.8 in the mountains of WV without a toad, then got 8.5 through KY with a toad.
Can one run all night in cold weather using furnace(2 batteries)? Mine easily makes it through the night on batterys. Mine are new this year however.
Does the heat supplies by the motor for the rear(coach work reasonable)it has the xtra radiator behind the cab seats that pipes into the heat ducts. I don't have this option, sounds nice.
Does the trans do a reasonable job of slowing on say a 6-7% down hill? My coach is on the Ford E450 chassis. The Tow/Haul selector works great for downhills runs. A gentle touch of the brakes will have the transmission downshifting and will let the motor hold your speed pretty well. I used very little braking on long downhills. Of course you have to slw down a bit at the top of the hill to set up for a good run. I try to get it down around 60 which is not hard because I seldom run higher than 65.

LEN
I have only had my class C for a few months byt have made three trips already and more are planned.

You asked about handling. The E-450's can be a handfull. there is a pretty detailed post about the alignment of these beasts and how to tame them. I will look for it and post it for you. Long story short, these chassis leave the factory without really being set up for the coach. According to the author of the post I will give you the caster needs to be 5 degrees or more which requires a replacement of the adjusting nut. I am droping mine off at a shop next week for this enhancement and will let you know how much it helps if any.

I drove two straight days in the mountains in 30 to 40 mph wind. Not a lot of fun and it wore me out. On one curve I took a huge gust of wind about the time a truck passed me and the rig moved a full 5' across the road.

Still enjoying getting away and seeing the sights though.
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

There is a much longer post on the handling subject but this shorter thread give you the gist of what is needed. the gentleman listed as providing the information (Harvard) seems to really understand the physics of what is needed. As I said I just purchased the adjusting nuts and will be taking mine to a local shop. It took a few calls to find someone that would listen to me and try to understand what I was asking for. I should know something in a couple weeks.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, keep things coming. I think we have decided to purchase if all works out. Just want to know as much as I can hopefully without incident.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I would love to hear more about this aux heater in the coach off of the radiator system, when you have it all figured out.

Did a quick search for the motorhome you are looking at. Similar to our 29TR, except we don't have the slide out. Bedroom and bathrooms are reversed in layout.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Will know a bit more tomorrow. The aux heater is in the compartment to the rear of the passenger seat. Appears to have an exposed radiator with the hot water/coolant from the V-10 and then 4" duct piping going to the heat registers in the front of the MH. Thinking it must go to the rear also. I have seen like systems on the diesel pushers that heat the hot water in the hotwater heater as you go down the road and slave units further down the coach, like boats have for cabin heat. Really about the same as Aguahot systems use. Do these C class normally have heated basement area IE; tank heat when the gas furnace is used? I saw a switch in one MH "C" that said tank heat but thought it might be electric heat pads or small 12 volt heater.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

OK We did purchase the coach. Will now be puttering and learning a different coach.
Did find out the winch is for emergency slide retraction.

LEN
Old 04-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
OK We did purchase the coach. Will now be puttering and learning a different coach.
Did find out the winch is for emergency slide retraction.

LEN
Yep, I was going to post that but you beat me to it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My 2000 30 ft Class C , steering sucked.

After installing a 1 5/8 thick, rear sway bar and new front sway bar bushings, It improved so much that I didn't do anything else.

A passing, 80 mph, Big Rig, is a wiggle now, not a "white knuckle", I forgot to keep an eye out for them, experience

Enjoy
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Do they have basement heat from furnace?
What's the mileage like, I will be towing?
Can one run all night in cold weather using furnace(2 batteries)?
Does the heat supplies by the motor for the rear(coach work reasonable)it has the xtra radiator behind the cab seats that pipes into the heat ducts.
Does the trans do a reasonable job of slowing on say a 6-7% down hill?

LEN
Olylen,
We have the 03 version of the Minnie Winnie 30v which is about the same as yours, only two slides and about a foot shorter. We bought it new and have about 90K miles on it now. From Kansas, we have made the trip to Alaska and all over the lower 48 and eastern Canada with few problems. We have never had a slide out problem and we did have HWH kick down jacks added when we bought it.
We do suffer through the semi push when being passed, but I haven't had any equipment items added to counter it. We have had two blow outs, both the inside rear wheels, no problems controlling the coach and it was nice to have a spare.
Ours has the motoraid package, which includes the aux. heat duct under the dinette seat and the heating of the hot water heater while you are driving. We really like this feature. We tow an 09 Chevy HHR and it doesn't cause any problems, mileage about 8.5 w/o and 7.5 with it.
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, but I think you bought one of the best class c's that Winnebago ever made. Hope this helps.
Pete Morris
Peat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Pictures or it never happened!!!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Olylen,
Forgot to mention, I did replace the two 12v coach batteries with two 6v deep cycle batteries from SAMs club. Rewired from parallel to series using the existing cables and everything works better than before. It easily runs the furnace overnight in cold weather and the holding tank compartments are heated by the furnace - no heat pads needed.
Pete
Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all Pics to come, baby(grand) sitting for a couple days then pick it up. Just went to interstate battery today to find out about the deep cycle in the coach and they seem to be rated wpth a lot of amp hours. Time will tell if more battery or new are needed. Getting new start battery as it is shot. How do you tell if your water heater has the hot water from motor? On the test drive I slowed enough for the semi's to pass and it was very stable. The drive on our rutted I-5 was one finger, the wife even said she might drive some"amazing".

LEN
Old 04-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

The only way to tell if you are getting the hot water heated as you drive is to check the water temp. We usually get good hot water after about two hours of driving. Nice to have when we stop for lunch. One thing about the two 6v batteries if you decide to go that way. I did have to buy and install four longer bolts since the 6v batteries are taller. Since they are taller, they are much easier to check and fill when needed.
Pete
Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

While I was at interstate battery I checked on the deep cycle also. They have TRUE deep cycle 12 volts a little bigger than the ones in there now. If these I stalled fail I just may try the 12 bigger ones. I think they said 160 amp hour each which would give because of 12 volt 160 amp hours at 50%, not bad. Now on to the tow bar search and directv Sat antana to have the coach mostly set up. Oh still and always looking for more tips on this coach.

LEN
Old 04-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Can anyone point me to threads regarding the"adjustable bushings"?

I haves 2014 Ford Chassis Class C that drifts around like a sailboat.
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Haul View Post
Can anyone point me to threads regarding the"adjustable bushings"?

I haves 2014 Ford Chassis Class C that drifts around like a sailboat.
I noticed on an older thread of yours, it looks like you are running at 80psi on all your tires. If that's the case, your front tires should have way less psi than that. Probably around 65#. Only way to get the right psi is to get a weight of your fully loaded RV and adjust the tire pressures according to a Load & Inflation Tables | Michelin Truck

Tags
class c