Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Locating inverter Winnie Minnie 2101DS

Greeting to all you Winnie campers. This is my first post so easy on me, I did try to find the correct section for this. We have a 2013 Minnie tow behind. We replaced the primary battery on the tongue with an AGM but trying to locate the inverter to test it and consider upgrade/replace has been difficult. Anyone out there have a similar model.
MP_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you sure the 2013 Minnie TT had an inverter? What does your Operator’s Manual say about it? All I see in the 2013 TT manual is that you have a converter charger. I don’t see any mention of an inverter.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Converter = inverter

It is my understanding that the converter takes power from the AC and converts it to 12v power to charge the batteries and power the 12 V systems. Does it not also invert the 12 house battery current to operate the TV and r CD/ Radio?
Unfortunately all my documentation does not mention anything about a converter or an inverter. As it is my plan to solar power some of our boondock camping, I believed the converter was just a poorly identified object in threads. Even so, where is the converter located then? Behind the fuse panel? Do I need to remove the entire cabinet facing to access this?

If I go solar and add house batteries am I then required to remove the converter? Is there a thread on this elsewhere?
Old 11-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
Site Team

A Converter only charges your batteries and provides 12v power for 12v appliances and systems. It is not an inverter and does not invert 12v to 110v power.

Most likely your TV/CD/Radio are all 12v appliances.

Generally, the converter is behind the 12v fuse panel, but not always. If yours is back there you probably just need to unscrew the fuse panel cover. But it's hard to say.

You do not HAVE to remove the converter if you add an inverter. Some inverters are also chargers and others are not. It is less expensive to buy an inverter without a charger - but generally the charger in a inverter/charger will be a smarter more programmable charger than the charger in your converter.

Solar power on an RV is covered in a zillion threads and YouTube videos out there on the internet. The subject is well covered on iRV2 Forums. It's not a Winnebago specific subject so the info there would apply to your TT.

Search YouTube for RV Solar Install and you'll get hundreds if not thousands of videos suggested - some may be right on target for you.

Your complete Operator's Manual is available on www.winnebagoind.com. I'll post a link to yours below:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...atorManual.pdf
Old 11-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! I will update this when we get into the project. Obviously we will add an inverter and a controller. YouTube is already our primary TV use.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

convertor

1st YouTube is the RV'ers best friend. I have been frying batteries for years upgraded to (different mgf's change system description) four stage convertor/charger with float/surge battery storage charge cycle (worth every penny)
Retired FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Having thus resolved the converter/inverter challenge... I am now trying to find how many watts and Amps the Air Conditioner uses so that I may purchase the correct inverter generator for those times when we need power. The breaker is a 20A so I must assume it never pulls more than that. Lights all run at 12V off the converter. I'm documenting this as I go, a multimeter is my best friend so far. The goal is to be able to occasionally be able to boondock on our major road trip across the US.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

There are lots of different models and types/brand of AC, so it may be more direct to look on the nameplate of the AC to get the exact model and brand and then search that info for the power used. I would like to be more help but that gets into guessing what you have and there are times when options give different levels of things, so my guessing might just lead you into making a big mistake. One of those times when going slow and careful may save a lot?
You are correct to guess that the AC will pull less than 20 amp due to the breaker but it might also be quite a bit less, so checking is needed to get the real truth. Assuming you are speaking of getting a stand alone generator for the AC power? Not to expect much use on battery with an inverter to make AC current.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, inverter