Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Light switch and Shade Question

I am a little embarassed to ask this, but I can not locate the switch to turn on the reading light above the drivers chair? I am also trying to find the manufacture of the day/night shades. I had the string break on one of them and need to buy replacement string. I found "Irvine Shades" on line but can't find any name on the shades to know if I have the right company.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

On my 05 Journey it is turned on by the dial that controls the dash lights. It took me some time to find it. I used nylon string to restring my shades.

Ronnie
flashnyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On our rig the reading light is activated by turning the headlight switch counterclockwise past a detent. Off is in the opposite direction.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
I am a little embarassed to ask this, but I can not locate the switch to turn on the reading light above the drivers chair? I am also trying to find the manufacture of the day/night shades. I had the string break on one of them and need to buy replacement string. I found "Irvine Shades" on line but can't find any name on the shades to know if I have the right company.
It is probably like mine, the dash light switch. That light has confused me before too. Try RV Shade and Blind Repair for string, you can replace the string yourself. Check for sharp grommets or edges.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Join the rest of us who had to ask about the light. I got the how dumb can you be look from the dealer when I asked...

Don, 70041
Getting Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Boy oh boy! I never even thought of that switch! Thanks again!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Looks like you got the switch mystery solved. I had some blinds repaired at a home type blind & shade place before I tossed them all out and replaced with MCD shades. I know of some folks who got nylon string at fabric stores to do the repair.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

A very good replacement string is 90lb Sturgeon leader, very inexpensive for a large quantity. Down load the re-string instructions from the Winnie service tips. Find a good sized table, take your time, and you can do it yourself. I have found that once one shade breaks a string, you can expect another down the road. Just make sure you debur the aluminum channels. From one of the Original Three Blind Guys.....
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

When replacing the cord, fix what is causing the problem. The grommets that are put in the holes that were drilled into aluminium rails are put in the wrong side! As installed they do absolutely no good! Where the cords cross over to the other side of blind, they rub against the roughly cut aluminum, fray, & break! I haven't had a cord break after redoing them.
Also I ordered my cord from Lichtsinn Motors.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
Here is a Service Tip from the WIT magazine Restringing Day Night Shades
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I bought my cord at JoAnn's....Wrights 1/16" Polyester Cord in a 24 yd. package. I have restrung all but one shade in our RV and have had no problems since. As stated above, the problem in ours was the improper placement of the grommet.

2005 Adventurer 33V
Cheryl Bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

LOL that light switch gets alot of people !
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #13
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Try FIX MY BLINDS.COM I buy my cord from them so far I have re strung almost every shade. Also get a handful of the plastic grommets that go into the holes the cord slides through. After the first few its easy just a little time consuming. If you don't mind spending the $ go for the replacement shades they area a little pricey.