Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2018, 01:43 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
...........................With everything we have covered here, no mention has been made of how changes to the charger will effect the start battery. Hummm.
Checkout reply #14 in this topic/thread for info on the connection between the house batteries and the chassis batteries.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:52 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Thanks! While I am not the person you were replying to, this is just the catalyst that I needed to figure this particular thing out for my own information and BB battery installation.

I pulled the dash cowl off this afternoon to confirm my suspicion.

The "Boost" switch in our 2104 Sunstar is apparently an SPDT momentary rocker switch that controls the solenoid that connects the 2 battery systems together. In the "normal" position, presumably, it receives a 12VDC voltage from somewhere that indicates that the engine is actually running.

The "pressed" Boost position connects the solenoid to 12VDC from the house batteries to jump the chassis battery.

So, if I want to disconnect the house battery from the chassis charging system to use an alternate method to charge the BB battery (like with a Sterling Battery to Battery charge), I just need to disconnect that "engine running" wire from the Boost switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Checkout reply #14 in this topic/thread for info on the connection between the house batteries and the chassis batteries.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
My coach has a B.I.R.D. charging manager. With it the charge source is either the from the engine or the inverter. The bank needing charging is chosen by the B.I.R.D. solenoid. Thinking about it this way, I might have to consider a current limiter for the Li's when charging from the engine.

Tags
battery, isolation, isolator, lithium, lithium ion, manager