Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Just an update for folks. After using them for some time, two out of the five regulators I installed with the LED strip lights died, so I've just removed all of the regulators and am using the LED strip lights directly. Various other folks have reported no issues with the LED strips despite the higher voltages present when the charger or alternator are running, so I'm sure things will be fine without the regulators.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

I modified my ceiling "salon" lights in the Lounge and Galley using LED lighting from a company www.cabinbright.com. The mod consists of a series of LED pods that are custom made to the exact length and lumen output of the old fixture, and just taped in place with double-sided foam tape. I could not be more pleased with the results. They are not cheap, but work as advertised. I will try to upload 2 pix...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21. Lounge Light LEDS on.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	59822   Click image for larger version

Name:	25. Galley with Light on.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	59823  

kkriepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Another lengthy thread here on LED's with a comprehensive 'how-I-did-it' on page 20-21 with photos, parts, specs, etc.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/inex...de-139025.html

Thin-Lite fixtures were upgraded to LED for about $4 each.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

UPDATE: I just noticed that the LED strips in just one of my upgraded overhead lights have gone bad. This is the ThinLite fixture in the bathroom aisle with 4 18" strips of LEDs. Don't know what happened to cause this--all of the other lights seem fine. The light is actually on in the picture, and all of the LEDs are apparently lit, at least dimly, but all except one or two are almost completely hidden by discoloration of the overlaying plastic layer.

Fortunately I had just enough of the LED strip left from my original install to replace these--we'll see if the problem re-occurs.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
UPDATE: I just noticed that the LED strips in just one of my upgraded overhead lights have gone bad. This is the ThinLite fixture in the bathroom aisle with 4 18" strips of LEDs. Don't know what happened to cause this--all of the other lights seem fine. The light is actually on in the picture, and all of the LEDs are apparently lit, at least dimly, but all except one or two are almost completely hidden by discoloration of the overlaying plastic layer.

Fortunately I had just enough of the LED strip left from my original install to replace these--we'll see if the problem re-occurs.
Could that be the waterproof coating or layer?
Were the lights running hot?
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Could that be the waterproof coating or layer?
Were the lights running hot?
The waterproof coating layer definitely seems discolored and the LED strip is very stiff and inflexible. I haven't been aware of it running hot, but they are unregulated and therefore see the charging voltage from the inverter/charger.

I just remembered that this particular light may have been left on inadvertently for several days recently which may have caused the problem. All of the other lights tend to be on for a maximum of five or six hours at a time.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I have 10 'puck' lights in the ceiling (8 in the main cabin and 2 in the bedroom) using 10W halogen bulbs. I decided to use 'warm white' bulbs for these instead of the 'white' I used for the fluorescents. I replaced all of them with the following:

1. 10 G4 Warm White 12 LED 5050 SMD Spot Light Lamp Bulb
These are unregulated but do have a bridge rectifier on them, so they aren't polarized (without this you might need to switch the wires around in the fixture to match the polarity of the LED bulb). These bulbs cost a little less than $1 each. Regulated versions are available, but cost considerably more--I decided to see how these work out. If I end up with LEDs dying I might consider switching to the regulated versions.

The first picture shows a couple of the reflectors that need to be removed from the fixtures. They just snap in with two legs and come out quite easily with a little sideways pressure on one of the legs.

The second picture show the LED bulb in place. I had to clip a little off the two leads on the LED bulb because they were a bit long. With the original reflector gone the socket is no longer held rigidly in place, but that's not really a problem because the LED can just lie flat on the lens.

The third picture shows the lens in place.
I had a terrible time with this style LED in my last coach. The segments failed in a few weeks. I finally went to M4-Products as suggested by a poster on this forum and got the pucks with heat syncs. The power output is greater and the color is more pleasant.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

I have no connection with M4Products, but I'm glad you found their lights to be better for your purpose. I am planning on upgrading exterior lights (all of them) to LED in the near future (interior is all LED from M4) with LED's from M4. I just like them.

Scott
Old 07-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
I have no connection with M4Products, but I'm glad you found their lights to be better for your purpose. I am planning on upgrading exterior lights (all of them) to LED in the near future (interior is all LED from M4) with LED's from M4. I just like them.

Scott
Now, I hope we who have started advertising for M4 by way of testimony may see the prices come down as volume of sales increase. That will become a double win in that event!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:48 AM   #30
Winnie-Wise

If you subscribe to RVGeeks (HowToRVgeeks :: How-To Videos From Full-time RVers), there is a discount code you can use at checkout that will give you a five percent discount at M4Products.com. Every little bit helps!

Just a testimonial--I have learned a lot from RVGeeks. Their YouTube channel has been a great source of information.

Scott