Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

LED strip tape glue removal

I bought these LED strip tapes to use in my florescent light changeover, and being from China, the glue on the back isn't any good so I am replacing with Scotch out door double sided tape.
The problem is, I need to get the old glue off the back of the LED strip so the Scotch will hold. Alcohol didn't work. Any idea's?
Dick D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Goof Off.

Nothing personal, that's just the name of the product. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Acetone. Found at your local hardware store.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I did not remove the sticky stuff on the LED strips but, I did use contact cement to put them up ---- you can apply it right over the sticky stuff on the LED strips.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick D View Post
I bought these LED strip tapes to use in my florescent light changeover, and being from China, the glue on the back isn't any good so I am replacing with Scotch out door double sided tape.
The problem is, I need to get the old glue off the back of the LED strip so the Scotch will hold. Alcohol didn't work. Any idea's?

Dick D,
Well, here's an idea. Take a little bit of WD-40 on a rag and, vigorously wipe it back and forth on the back side of that LED strip. I've found that WD-40 works on a lot of stuff like that. It's worth a try anyway, what have you got to loose?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You don't need to remove the Sticky stuff on the back of the LED Strip lights. Just use the 3M double sided sticky tapes, Put the tape up on the MH where you want it, after cleaning the area with alcohol then attach the LED lights to the sticky tape. I did it that way under the awning and it's held thru the heat of Las Vegas and now the cold we are having now in Oregon.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

WD-40 will remove the sticky residue from the surface. You'll need to wipe it down with alcohol to remove the WD-40 residue.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Guy's,

Thanks for the information. It looks like it will be WD-40 and alcohol. Although I may try and put it right on the sticky stuff and see if that will hold, it would be a lot easier. I may even try some of that alcohol in myself just to make sure there, simply for medicinal purposes since I am going to be in that cool garage working . Did I say I hate winter, but to Arizona soon.
Dick D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

David D.--do you have the link on the place you got the lights from? How about pics after install?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

What I learned

Maverick,

I got the idea from this forum, from this site http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/led-...es-153829.html

All the parts came off of Ebay and most came directly from Asia. It just takes a little longer for shipping, usually 3 weeks for me here in the Midwest but I've ordered quite a few different LED's from over there and no problems yet, and the cost is MUCH cheaper, by cutting out the middleman.

Things that I learned doing this.
Soldering Iron, Harbor Freight $4.00 and it works. U will have do do some soldering.
LED tape that isn't waterproof, works better, and saves time soldering the wires on the ends of your runs.
All the tapes with glue are markes 3M on the pulloff paper. It's China Glue, find some 1' Scotch brand tape on Ebay for a reasonable price, then stick 2 LED runs down it, and cut it in half. goes quickly, and works fine. DON'T PULL THE PAPER OFF THE OTHERSIDE OF THE 3M UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO STICK IT DOWN..
Take your time and follow the directions in the site given above and you will come out with some really nice looking lights for less than $14.00 each and it was a fun project,,,,,after the first one, learning curve u know.

Tags
removal