Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

LED lights on awning roller?

I am determined to make my LED awning roller lights work without having to climb a ladder and plug them in each time we set up and without replacing the awning. Has anyone made this happen yet?

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Aim a 5 megawatt magnetron at them. Of course they will light up along with you and anything within 100 yards.
Good luck getting away without a ladder.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Aim a 5 megawatt magnetron at them. Of course they will light up along with you and anything within 100 yards.

Good luck getting away without a ladder.

chasA
Who sells a 5 megawatt magnetron?

Jesse
Old 10-10-2014, 04:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ours are in the roller but we don't ever unplug them. Just hit the switch and they're on!
hutchg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hutch,
Please tell us how the cord for the lights works.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I'll look at it this weekend and report back.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

leds

Is it possible to see pictures of the awning light connection. Ihave them but use a quick connect to unplug them.A pictures tells a lot. thank you
Old 10-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Not sure if it would work or not, but I have been thinking running the wire in the seam on the edge of the awning material, then it would just roll up with the awning.

Scott
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
Not sure if it would work or not, but I have been thinking running the wire in the seam on the edge of the awning material, then it would just roll up with the awning.

Scott
Hi Scott
I tried that already and it will not work. The awning material stretched and wire didn't and rolled up very uneven.
Jesse
Old 10-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

On our last two we put the led strip on the motor home just under were the awning connects the strip lights the area under the entire awning
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

On the 2014s the power wire is run in the edge of the awning. It rolls up with the awning. The wire is very small 22ga wire I would guess. Honestly it does not look all that durable, but not any force so it will hopefully hold up overtime. Like they said, just hit the switch
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Hi Scott

I tried that already and it will not work. The awning material stretched and wire didn't and rolled up very uneven.

Jesse

Thanks Jesse, glad I did not waist my time trying that.

Scott
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I am determined to make my LED awning roller lights work without having to climb a ladder and plug them in each time we set up and without replacing the awning. Has anyone made this happen yet?

Jesse
Jesse, is this a add-on or factory? I added a LED strip to my coach and located it under the awning on the slide face above the window. It has a remote. The only drawback is that the LED controller interferes with the thermostat(). The lights must be off to get the thermostat to work correctly. But, my point is, if you added the lights replace them with the stick-on LED strip. I didn't pay much for mine and that may be the problem.

Rick Y
Old 10-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Jesse, is this a add-on or factory? I added a LED strip to my coach and located it under the awning on the slide face above the window. It has a remote. The only drawback is that the LED controller interferes with the thermostat(). The lights must be off to get the thermostat to work correctly. But, my point is, if you added the lights replace them with the stick-on LED strip. I didn't pay much for mine and that may be the problem.

Rick Y

Hi Rick
It is an add on but same as factory.
The interference may be from the power source you chose. Could be bleeding back from a common ground.
https://plus.google.com/101316903016...ts/9jeYxnBJXpU

Jesse
Old 10-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hi Rick
It is an add on but same as factory.
The interference may be from the power source you chose. Could be bleeding back from a common ground.
https://plus.google.com/101316903016...ts/9jeYxnBJXpU

Jesse
Your awning system is the same as mine except for the redesign of the roller tube. Yours has an extra track for the LED strip.

I just saw (and can't find now) a post on this forum about making a slip ring contractor for the light to be controlled from a switch. The op was having to climb a ladder and disconnect the lights and that was the motivator. It seems to me that CareFree or the LED vender must have something like this available that is designed for longevity in weather exposure.

Here is a manufacture of what I am talking about. More research is needed for this application. MP100 Pancake Slip Rings - Moflon Slipring

Hope you solve your problem.

Rick Y
Old 10-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

LED lights on awning roller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Your awning system is the same as mine except for the redesign of the roller tube. Yours has an extra track for the LED strip.

I just saw (and can't find now) a post on this forum about making a slip ring contractor for the light to be controlled from a switch. The op was having to climb a ladder and disconnect the lights and that was the motivator. It seems to me that CareFree or the LED vender must have something like this available that is designed for longevity in weather exposure.

Here is a manufacture of what I am talking about. More research is needed for this application. MP100 Pancake Slip Rings - Moflon Slipring

Hope you solve your problem.

Rick Y

Hi Rick
My roller doesn't have the extra track for the LED. It is a stick on ordered from the awning manufacture that manufactured the LED awning installed on the 2014 Tour. I recently designed and installed a slip ring to keep from having to climb the ladder each time. The attached video is my completed conversion. The video and construction pictures or on "2013 Tour Tips"

Thanks

Jesse
Old 10-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Ok, went out to the RV today to look at the LED light strip on the awning roller. There is a small wire coming out of the RV and then inside the side hem of the awning down to the roller. So, the wire rolls up with the awning. With the light strip at the roller end of the awning (instead of the wall of the RV under the awning connection point), you can aim the light where ever you want it by where the roller stops when you unroll it.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hi Rick
My roller doesn't have the extra track for the LED. It is a stick on ordered from the awning manufacture that manufactured the LED awning installed on the 2014 Tour. I recently designed and installed a slip ring to keep from having to climb the ladder each time. The attached video is my completed conversion. The video and construction pictures or on "2013 Tour Tips"

Thanks

Jesse
Your the clever guy I saw and didn't remember where. That was a nice job.

My LED strip was one of the cheapies. I stuck it under the awning case to the side wall of the slide. I drilled a hole() through the side from inside the speaker enclosure for the IR pickup and power feed to pass through. The remote sensor is in the enclosure and the power comes from the reading light in the cabinet bottom.

I have a strange problem though. When the LED strip is on the light is wonderful. I can do the disco flash or a bunch of other color combinations. The problem is that the controller is emitting some sort of signal that is interfering with the thermostat on the HVAC system. I discovered this when the thermostat was resetting to 00 and the gas furnaces was coming on with the heatpump. A call to Aiexcel helped me find this to be the culprit. So, we only use our LED patio when we are out there and are not concerned about the A/C or heat.

So the adventures continue...

Rick Y
Old 10-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

These LED controllers use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to control the lights.
They provide a full voltage to the LED, but only turn it on for a short time. The dimmer the setting, the shorter the on time. This causes a lot of RF interference.

If you could remove the remote control, and just connect directly to your 12V, this would remove the RF. Check if your LED strips have the small square resistors mounted on the tape. If so, you can connect to the full 12V.

Dan
Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
These LED controllers use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to control the lights.
They provide a full voltage to the LED, but only turn it on for a short time. The dimmer the setting, the shorter the on time. This causes a lot of RF interference.

If you could remove the remote control, and just connect directly to your 12V, this would remove the RF. Check if your LED strips have the small square resistors mounted on the tape. If so, you can connect to the full 12V.

Dan
Thanks for me. Of course. PWM is very noisy. I have considered putting a filter on the power line but that might not be enough. The total length of the LED strip may be a antenna. For now I am living with it. Your suggestion is valid and will work in this case. If I tie all three colors together it would give 'white' light but no control.

Rick Y

Tags
awning, lights