Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

I am attempting to add a 18' LED weather proof strip to a Itasca Suncriuser awning roller with a continuous 12 v feed operated by the pouch light switch and wired into the outer awning seam. This time I am using a very small durable plastic coated two strand wire manufactured to flex instead of a larger rubber coated wire which caused an incorrect roll up. I will post the results when it's completed.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Another choice...but this amounts to replacing your system. To get some amount of control, you can replace your led strip with 2 single color strips. Then put a switch on each strip. I have done this for under cabinet lights at home. Not perfect, but an alternative.

Dan
Old 10-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

I have installed the led strip under the awning on the camper. I would like to run the power cord inside up next to the awning (awning is a manual one) but not sure where to drill a hole. I have a Tioga Ranger 31M and have looked around inside and just cannot figure where it would or where the best place for it to come inside, any idea?

For the time being I am using this extension, Extension Cable Wire With 4Pin Plug for LED Strip Ribbon (5M) - - Amazon.com to run it down and under the camper and backup through a hole where a seatbelt holder was. It just looks messy.

Thanks,
Susan

Dixie Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dogs View Post
I have installed the led strip under the awning on the camper. I would like to run the power cord inside up next to the awning (awning is a manual one) but not sure where to drill a hole. I have a Tioga Ranger 31M and have looked around inside and just cannot figure where it would or where the best place for it to come inside, any idea?

For the time being I am using this extension, Extension Cable Wire With 4Pin Plug for LED Strip Ribbon (5M) - - Amazon.com to run it down and under the camper and backup through a hole where a seatbelt holder was. It just looks messy.

Thanks,
Susan
You can make your own cable if you can solder wires. get something like this from ebay 10pcs 2 54mm KF2510 4P Pin Header Terminal Housing Connector Kits | eBay

You can get almost any 4 conductor 22ga cable. drill holes for the cable and run the cable thru the holes before soldering on the ends. Tape up the connections and your done.

Dan
Old 10-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
I am attempting to add a 18' LED weather proof strip to a Itasca Suncriuser awning roller with a continuous 12 v feed operated by the pouch light switch and wired into the outer awning seam. This time I am using a very small durable plastic coated two strand wire manufactured to flex instead of a larger rubber coated wire which caused an incorrect roll up. I will post the results when it's completed.
Jesse

Hi Scott and all
This upgrade has been done and is working successfully. I will post details soon.

Jesse
Old 10-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Jesse
Results

video link

https://plus.google.com/101316903016...ts/NfcSjF6oQej

Jesse
Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
You can make your own cable if you can solder wires. get something like this from ebay 10pcs 2 54mm KF2510 4P Pin Header Terminal Housing Connector Kits | eBay

You can get almost any 4 conductor 22ga cable. drill holes for the cable and run the cable thru the holes before soldering on the ends. Tape up the connections and your done.

Dan
Thanks Dan, I guess it's that first drill through I am having a problem with...just can't seem to make myself drill it.

Dixie Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dogs View Post
Thanks Dan, I guess it's that first drill through I am having a problem with...just can't seem to make myself drill it.
I feel your pain on this one....You can always use a 1/8" drill bit first, and then push a stiff wire through just to confirm what is in the wall.

A 1/8" hole can be fixed with a SS screw and silicone if needed.

Dan
Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hi Scott and all
This upgrade has been done and is working successfully. I will post details soon.

Jesse
Hi Jesse,

Really liked your LED awning upgrade on the TOUR. Not at all surprised to see that you continue to develop creative and useful upgrades!

Can you tell me more about the Suncruiser upgrade? Where did you find the coated, flexible wire pair? What type LED strip did you use and where did you find it? (dimmable, single color, remote, etc.)

Was there space in the existing hem to pull the wires, or did you have modify or restitch the hem?

Nice work or both awnings!

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Hi Jesse,

Really liked your LED awning upgrade on the TOUR. Not at all surprised to see that you continue to develop creative and useful upgrades!

Can you tell me more about the Suncruiser upgrade? Where did you find the coated, flexible wire pair? What type LED strip did you use and where did you find it? (dimmable, single color, remote, etc.)

Was there space in the existing hem to pull the wires, or did you have modify or restitch the hem?

Nice work or both awnings!

cheers,

Joopy

Hi Joopy
Thanks for the compliment!
I found the roll of wire at Skycraft, a local company in Orlando that sells left over electrical stuff. The wire came on a roll and could be cut what ever length needed. It was flat plastic coated 10 strand ribbon wire made to flex like you would see in a computer used to connect a hard drive to a mother board. I pulled two strands off together and threaded them in the existing awning seam into the coach through a very small hole I drilled and sealed and down to the porch switch. I used a in line 6 amp fuse behind the switch. Added a new LED porch light with a switch on the trim to be able to turn it off if desired. The awning was 19' 6" so I used a 18' weather proof bright white (has slight blue tent) strip from ITC. I used 3 of the 6' stick on mounting brackets to attach the strip. I chose not to use a dimmer due to the fact that a simple turn of the awning roll will act as a dimmer.
I didn't use colored LEDs. I just like to see well outside at night with a simple switch. No remote. Amazing light!
Jesse
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414209374.007323.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	77337
Old 10-25-2014, 05:45 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Hey Joopy
Let me know if you want to try it. I will send you the wire and get more into detail with the install.
Jesse
Old 10-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Here are some suppliers:http://www.amazon.com/Strip-Waterpro.../dp/B00ENX0VUE for the LED strip.

Here are some connectors: Amazon.com: led light strip connector

And this is just Amazon.

It you use Henry 212 clear caulk from Home Depot to seal your holes you won't be disappointed. This stuff works great for any outside sealing that needs to be done and tends to disappear.

Rick Y
Old 10-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Thanks Rick

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414330654.711694.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	633.9 KB
ID:	77463
Old 10-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Rick
Attachment 77463
Welcome.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmsr View Post
thanks rick
Attachment 77463

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414336442.487137.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	678.5 KB
ID:	77481
Old 10-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hey Joopy
Let me know if you want to try it. I will send you the wire and get more into detail with the install.
Jesse
Hi Jesse. Good to hear from you. Sorry, I've been busy for a few days and wasn't online. Appreciate the detail and the creativity I too prefer just white light, and simply rolling the awning to dim sounds like a great alternative to a dimmer.

I'll be sending a PM your way shortly. Keep those clever ideas coming!!!

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Aim a 5 megawatt magnetron at them. Of course they will light up along with you and anything within 100 yards.
Good luck getting away without a ladder.
I think a klyston amplifier might be a better option. Easier to modulate the low power RF source so you can dim the lights rather than varying the high voltage. Problem you might run into is the need to liquid cool of the tube.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

QUOTE=Jbmsr;2285272]Attachment 77481[/QUOTE]

This is called "Ribbon Cable", there is a ton of it available on e-bay.
It mainly comes in 40 or 20 conductor.
Make sure you get the multi-color because it can be separated easier.
I suggest you strip off 4 conductors, then twist two conductor ends together.
This way, you have two wires for each conductor in case one finally breaks you will still have working lights.

Dan
Old 11-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Running the wire in the seam, provided the seam is wide enough to feed through, is the only solution. This is the way they do them from the factory installations. Then feed the wire into the grommet that your awning motor wires feed through.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, lights