Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
PDAOUST

LED headlight upgrade

Hello all,

This is my first post and it’s regarding upgrading my head lights on my 2008 Adventurer which is on a workhorse chassis.
As I’ve read on this website headlights in some of the older MH’s are not the best. I’m looking to upgrade the bulbs to LED, both low and high beam and fog lights. Can anyone provide insight to a good manufacturer (s). Also, although I have not yet pulled any of the bulbs to get the type of plug or model number used, can anyone save me time and trouble by simply providing this information???
Thanks

Phil
Pdaoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Team

I can't help with the specifics but I did upgrade to LED bulbs. They helped a bit but were not a cure all that I wanted. The stock housings in my Vista are from a 2000's Ford ranger which is about 4 feet narrower than the RV. That's just about the same amount of "dead" space I get between the headlights beam pattern now.

I ended up installing some Rigid Industries LED driving lights to supplement the lack of light when driving at night. The driving lights filled that gap nicely but it's not a "cheap" fix and you'll need to know how to do some wiring.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:46 AM   #3
PDAOUST

Thanks for the info Thom,

I have seen some LED products you can simply replace existing bulb with an LED with built in heat sink and a pigtail with an inline power supply that simply plugs into the OEM female connector.

In any case, my next step is to identify the bulb/connector used on my MH so I can source my options. I figured I'd reach out to see if someone with same model has already gone down the same road you went down, and that I'm going down.

Thanks a bunch Thom.

Phil
Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

LED Headlight

Hi, Great Idea.
Just be sure to get the candle power equivalent to or greater than existing bulbs. The coloration is or spectrum point is important, warm white vs bluish etc. The in my opinion ahem, the brash blue color though they seem bright end up bothering on coming traffic, and the color scheme does not highlight the reflectors used by the road system. If you use a warmer white (more yellow rather than blue) then the reflectors shine brightly the whites, yellows and even the red ones. Try the experiment out and see which spectrum color point you like in your table lamp to read with. The warm white or the daylight, and put some reflectors in the light and step away to see the result.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

LED replacement bulbs may "look" brighter, but actually put out less focused light, instead scattering it all over (and oftentimes blinding oncoming drivers). The problem is that the headlight housing/reflectors are designed to focus the light coming from a bulb, and LEDs do not have their light output in exactly the same position. For LED headlights to be effective, they must be the entire unit; buld, housing, reflector.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
PDAOUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
LED replacement bulbs may "look" brighter, but actually put out less focused light, instead scattering it all over (and oftentimes blinding oncoming drivers). The problem is that the headlight housing/reflectors are designed to focus the light coming from a bulb, and LEDs do not have their light output in exactly the same position. For LED headlights to be effective, they must be the entire unit; buld, housing, reflector.
Thanks for the advice 4x4. I'll consider bulbs as well, but really like the brightness of the LED. I do know what you mean about the self contained LED light assemblies. They are engineered and designed to address the issues you mentioned. There are some pretty good bulbs out there too, I just haven't looked yet.

Again, thanks for your input.
Phil
Old 06-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Newer more expensive led headlight replacement bulbs have light dispersion via a few chips arranged to cast the light like a filament bulb would yet the coloration is an issue to be sure as is the candle power which of late has gotten much better with technology improvement. Remember when we would go after the European headlight bulbs and fog lights due to their higher candle power? Dispersion pattern for which the housing was designed is a big issue specially when upgrading to HID bulbs as a sharp cutoff is required least one blinds every one coming the other way and resulting in headon crashes.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Howdy,
Our 2018 has the Hella 90mm round headlight housings. I called Hella and was told to go for it just don't exceed the rated wattage which wasn't an issue since the LEDs were of a higher lumen rating at a lower wattage. Called and spoke to tech support at “Super Bright LEDs” and they recommended a replacement light for the application. The Kelvin temperature rating of the replacement LEDs is closer to that of natural sunlight (more white, less yellow, not blue) which makes everything look more crisp and distinct. The improvement was dramatic, but it took some adjustments. The selected LEDs can be rotated and depth adjusted in their mount housings via a locking setscrew to provide proper pattern and a distinct top line cutoff of the light beam, some minor adjustment was required to get the pattern and cutoff right. I also learned at that time that the headlights were grossly misadjusted from the factory, shining way too high which was part of the original problem. I can now see well at night without blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Get an LED light bar, they are fantastic. Just don’t use it with oncoming traffic. It will fill any lighting void.
Just my .02
KD4JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thom, I have the same rig and the headlights are horrible. On my last trip I realized that one of them is pointed too high and both need to be adjusted. Just wondering if you tried that with any success.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
Thom, I have the same rig and the headlights are horrible. On my last trip I realized that one of them is pointed too high and both need to be adjusted. Just wondering if you tried that with any success.
Tried to adjust some but it’s not enough to make any difference. The driving lights do help more than any adjustment would have. They just aren’t made to be so far apart on a vehicle.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

LED lights

I saw “Super Bright LEDs” referenced was planning to go simple bulb replacement, their technician cautioned with constant headlight active during day time (reduced voltage technology) LED may present problem. I installed good quality 4X4 LED driving lights inboard of headlights and lower. Fantastic OK for interstate highways, close 2/4 lane undivided may cause problems for oncoming traffic. A variable speed Dremel tool w/ plastic cut wheels works nicely on fiberglass front assembly.

NOTE: I purchased remote control capability, returning at night I can light up the path to motorhome (spend time in critter and bear country)
Retired FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaoust View Post
Hello all,

This is my first post and it’s regarding upgrading my head lights on my 2008 Adventurer which is on a workhorse chassis.
As I’ve read on this website headlights in some of the older MH’s are not the best. I’m looking to upgrade the bulbs to LED, both low and high beam and fog lights. Can anyone provide insight to a good manufacturer (s). Also, although I have not yet pulled any of the bulbs to get the type of plug or model number used, can anyone save me time and trouble by simply providing this information???
Thanks

Phil

Phil I changed mine 2006 sun cruiser 33v and love them
the 9006 bulb replace with gee mai conversion kit HB4 the 9005 bulbHB3the fog lights xotic 2xJDMH109145 9140 led driving lights or H10
htbotdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

In some cases the headlight assemblies on motorhomes match something used in the automotive world that was mass produced - I can't tell on your 2008. If so, look for a full LED replacement assembly for the car.
Some of them are reasonable and awesome.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAk View Post
In some cases the headlight assemblies on motorhomes match something used in the automotive world that was mass produced .
I agree. As a renovator, I try and replace the housings with new, preferably a more modern Projector type. The plastic lens on these OEM houses just looses clarity and is a lot of the issue.

A little research and (I assume the class A) I think your headlights are from a 2003 Toyota Highlander, Dorman 1592003.
AS for the bulb, I have found that the aftermarket LED replacements are not bight enough. I like HID much better in a 6000K color.
My two cents
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I take it back, I found a projector replacement, $200 more for the pair, but it will be worth it in light to the road.
Toyota Highlander 2003, Black LED DRL Bar Projector Headlights by Lumen, it appears to be right. $288 at Amazon
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #17
PDAOUST

LED Upgrade complete

Well folks! The LED conversion is complete, well sort of since my fog lamps are next LOL. I decide to stay with the manufacturer I had which is trusted name brand, so I installed Philips HL9005XULED for the high beam and HL9006XULED for the Low.

But before installing them, I decided it was time to restore the composite light assemblies. They weren’t terribly yellowed, it’s just that the previous owner hadn’t done a very good job with his attemp and had left them messy looking. Anyway after using a little elbow grease, I have to say I was extremely happy on the way they turned out.

Only after I was happy with the first step, did I venture to install my new LED’s. They were easy enough to install, except for trying to get two arms through the front hatch to fasten the little power supplies with tie-wraps. Because I was concerned about headlight aim, which some of you commented about, I could tell from simply looking at mine, they would require adjusting. So I found a really good web page to help, used the garage door with tape as advised and followed their directions. Although I wasn’t impressed with how little adjusting options Winnebago offers, I was able to sight them in pretty well and the light quality was awesome. I guess the true test will be a night drive on a two lane road.

Anyway, thanks for everyone’s input and sorry if I didn’t respond to everyone. I must say for a first time Motorhome owner, this site is really valuable.

Thanks and talk soon!

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	334CDE1B-8551-4F34-A031-CAFFB8A83CFD.jpeg
Views:	362
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	171823   Click image for larger version

Name:	22DD236E-A437-463E-BA14-CF0EB57D1281.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	171824  

Old 07-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Wow, those are spendy $80-$90 a bulb.
In all this, the difference you see is mostly on the color change, from a dull yellow to brilliant white. Makes a huge difference.
Good job on the housing's lens also, that too will make a big diff
Old 07-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #19
PDAOUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4services View Post
Wow, those are spendy $80-$90 a bulb.
In all this, the difference you see is mostly on the color change, from a dull yellow to brilliant white. Makes a huge difference.
Good job on the housing's lens also, that too will make a big diff
Hi E4,

Thanks and yes they weren’t cheap, so I hope the quality is there. You can never trust quality these days. Anyway, the lenses did clean up really well so that will help. And the white light is the same I have on my explorer and it’s hard to beat.
Looking forward to Holidays and hitting the road!!

Happy travels, Cheers!

Phil
Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Check your voltage. I have Hellas, but only getting 10.7 volts at the headlight. I'm working on a relay and heavier wiring for a fix.

Tags
led, light, upgrade