Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

LED headlight and brackets

I need some assistance with this subject also. I have a 1998 Adventurer 35WP that I need to replace the sealed headlights with LED and I need to replace the brackets that hold the headlights in place because mine are very rusty and could break at anytime. I have been able to find the LED headlights but do not know which ones would work the best. No luck finding the brackets. Does anyone know if the newer LED sealed headlights have universal brackets or would I have to purchase new brackets from Winnebago and would they work in conjunction with the LED headlights? Thanks in advance!
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

More than likely you will have to go to the chassis manufacturer for the brackets, unless by luck the Winnebago catalog has your chassis, and they have a partnumber. may be best to refurb the brackets by sanding and repainting if possible. As to sealed beam, if you want to see what you are getting a large truck stop shop would be my choice as those sealed beams are standardized and many large trucks etc have em. The pattern is not so constricted but hey we do what we can some times eh.

Personally I do not like them as they throw a lot of glare on to on coming traffic and those being followed.

All the best.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:55 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I bought the ones below for my 99 Adventurer, and I love the heck out of them.
I spent some time cutting the brackets that retain the lens in the brackets, but I also just screwed a couple of them on and they kind of "stretched" to fit.
These are standard brackets (the retaining ones) and you should be able to find them in any auto store, if you need them (I did not).
I also ordered the sockets further down to make rewiring easier. The wiring on the lights is not standard to what sealed beams are.
You'll need to pull the fuse on your daytime running lights if you have them.
And lastly, I run all 4 low beams on, when the lights are on. Based on the pattern I see and the fact that no one is flashing me, I don't think they glare at all for oncoming traffic. They create a nice pool of light right in front and out a little bit.
On high beams they create a phenomenal amount of light down the road.
They really have been a marvelous improvement.

Lights
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sockets
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One other note....if you want to use the built-in DRL's you'll have to put in a switch and run a circuit for them. The 99 incorporated the DRL circuit into the low beams.
Most of our highways specify "headlights on" and modern DRL's don't count. I run low beams all the time when I'm on the highway.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
First, I am going to assume that you have a dual light 4x6 sealed beam setup (four total bulbs, either 2 wire one hi-one low bulb OR both Hi/low 3 wire each side).
My choice BY FAR for replacing in Hella. They make some conversion kits with quality glass housings. I have purchased the plastic eBay ones "projector" but they produce a very uncontrolled light pattern and were REALLY cheap. The Hella housing I used took an H3 bulb I think, a hi/low used an H4, which you can get in LED (I like the VPlus brand) or an HID setup.

Now you want 4x6 headlight 'buckets' as they are sometime referred. The Motorhome industry uses automotive industry headlight assemblies from ears gone by, so for you before 1998. A 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood for example. Winnebago may be able to tell you where they came from. Anyway, I would look to the car junk yard as your best bet for some replacement 'buckets'.
Just my 2 cents
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

"Freightliner" uses the 4x6 currently, so a lot of what's provided references that.

Tags
led, light, upgrade